ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

I’ll vent with y’all here as well ; I’m in for the June 10th class - I’m also in the hiring process for FDNY and today I received noticed they want me i for medical and psychological on June 11th 😩

Blessed to be in a stressful situation like this deciding what to do. At the end it’s obviously my call but I simply just wanted others people opinion on what they would do 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JoseL1992 said:

I’ll vent with y’all here as well ; I’m in for the June 10th class - I’m also in the hiring process for FDNY and today I received noticed they want me i for medical and psychological on June 11th 😩

Blessed to be in a stressful situation like this deciding what to do. At the end it’s obviously my call but I simply just wanted others people opinion on what they would do 

I'm all about the money 😆 who pays more ? 

The level of work ? Amount of work ? Will you be away from your family ? Stuff like that I consider

8 hours ago, JoseL1992 said:

the FDNY is the better job man, no question. You can do 2 24 hour shifts and be off the rest of the week I know a lot of firemen and they all have side gigs cause they have so much free time. They allow you to switch shifts with your co workers and everyone looks out for each other. When your not out on a call you can be working out at the house gym or taken a nap. It’s also a more dangerous job but everyone I know that’s in it wouldn’t change it for the world

3 minutes ago, Bronxmike said:

the FDNY is the better job man, no question. You can do 2 24 hour shifts and be off the rest of the week I know a lot of firemen and they all have side gigs cause they have so much free time. They allow you to switch shifts with your co workers and everyone looks out for each other. When your not out on a call you can be working out at the house gym or taken a nap. It’s also a more dangerous job but everyone I know that’s in it wouldn’t change it for the world

I would say FDNY, I was part of exam 2000 that didn’t make it due to the mishap and now I’m over the age limit and lost my chances. It was a dream job and somehow I got lucky with having MTA as a plan b. But if I was in your position I wouldn’t skip a beat with it, 100k job, a second family with your squad, more demanding job yea, but you signed up for it for a reason. Not everyone can run in when one runs out. If that’s your calling, choose it. If you can’t, stay with MTA.

Edited by MTAHopeful813

11 hours ago, JoseL1992 said:

I'm in your same position. Got called for pe 5/24 but I didn't go bcuz I'm supposed to be in the fdny academy in nov. I've already done everything for fd and I'm just waiting for the run letter. Makes no sense to join mta for 4-5 months just to waste their time, my time and take the chance away from someone else knowing I'm going to leave. Mta pays more upfront, but once u hit top pay as a firefighter you'll make more. Plus the scheduling is waayyy better. It's called the best job in the world for a reason. If u had more than a year available to work for mta then I would say go for it bcuz u could always go back if anything happened after u put 1 year in. If u left before that year is up u can't return. It's also another reason why I'm not taking the job, just leaving it in my back pocket just Incase for the future.

1 hour ago, 2nice said:

I'm in your same position. Got called for pe 5/24 but I didn't go bcuz I'm supposed to be in the fdny academy in nov. I've already done everything for fd and I'm just waiting for the run letter. Makes no sense to join mta for 4-5 months just to waste their time, my time and take the chance away from someone else knowing I'm going to leave. Mta pays more upfront, but once u hit top pay as a firefighter you'll make more. Plus the scheduling is waayyy better. It's called the best job in the world for a reason. If u had more than a year available to work for mta then I would say go for it bcuz u could always go back if anything happened after u put 1 year in. If u left before that year is up u can't return. It's also another reason why I'm not taking the job, just leaving it in my back pocket just Incase for the future.

Thank you all for your input,

and i feel you 2nice,,, you a step ahead of me I just got called for medical and psychological... if I had the offer on the table i wouldn’t think twice but I don’t do I I figured what not take MTA it just sucks the timing they want me to go in... I’m going to call to see if they let me do it this week instead ... honestly FD for me is not a dream job like it is for most but my heart and calling is without a doubt in helping people in a postal cop now but the pay sucks my dream job will be mta police or port authority but I’ve heard so many positives about fdny .. I’m a family man so I know fdny will work best for that aspect of my life the only thing yet is that I don’t have the offer it’s only a medical and psychological, I’d hate to pass on MTA and then FD doesn’t or takes a while to call my list number is 137x

I’m doing the P/E on the 6th with a list # in the 1100’s. Can someone answer a few questions about the medical. Weight - clothes and shoes on or off? Height - shoes on or off. Neck Size - if you’re right at 17 does that put you on hold? The reason I ask is because I’m tall and am near the cutoff point for most of the tests. Also is it BMI greater than 35 and neck greater than 17 or will exceeding either put you on hold? Thanks.

5 hours ago, JoseL1992 said:

Thank you all for your input,

and i feel you 2nice,,, you a step ahead of me I just got called for medical and psychological... if I had the offer on the table i wouldn’t think twice but I don’t do I I figured what not take MTA it just sucks the timing they want me to go in... I’m going to call to see if they let me do it this week instead ... honestly FD for me is not a dream job like it is for most but my heart and calling is without a doubt in helping people in a postal cop now but the pay sucks my dream job will be mta police or port authority but I’ve heard so many positives about fdny .. I’m a family man so I know fdny will work best for that aspect of my life the only thing yet is that I don’t have the offer it’s only a medical and psychological, I’d hate to pass on MTA and then FD doesn’t or takes a while to call my list number is 137x

Bro..I'm 112x on the list for mta...112x on this list for fire..it's crazy bcuz my list numbers at literally 1 digit apart for 2 diff exams..you'll def be in the nov class with the number. They reached 900's for the first class.. next class will easily hit 15-1600

Just called ms vargas . I was curious to know how far full was the June 10th class and she said theres only 1 vacancy left . So I'm assuming that after acrabal goes Wednesday they'll see their count if everyone passes the medical.  Because I asked her how high was the number officially appointed in the class and she said 800s officially appointed that leaves the Wednesday people. And acabral when you get appointed to June we are officially in the 900s... Soooooo harryb where are you , July is ours 😁 I rather July anyways buys me some time to prepare .

10 minutes ago, Conductor2015 said:

Just called ms vargas . I was curious to know how far full was the June 10th class and she said theres only 1 vacancy left . So I'm assuming that after acrabal goes Wednesday they'll see their count if everyone passes the medical.  Because I asked her how high was the number officially appointed in the class and she said 800s officially appointed that leaves the Wednesday people. And acabral when you get appointed to June we are officially in the 900s... Soooooo harryb where are you , July is ours 😁 I rather July anyways buys me some time to prepare .

I'm not going to be able to start June. If I did I would have to give my current job a 2 day notice and I also have some important appointments in June that I have to be at with my kid. So even if I don't get placed on medical hold which I probably will for apnea, I will have to wait until July. 

9 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

I'm not going to be able to start June. If I did I would have to give my current job a 2 day notice and I also have some important appointments in June that I have to be at with my kid. So even if I don't get placed on medical hold which I probably will for apnea, I will have to wait until July. 

O ok I see . Well someone else will Have the chance to start but yes its so close in time that even I wouldn't want it like that . Very little preparation you know . See you in July then . You are still going to go Wednesday right ? At least to hear and see what's going on.

4 minutes ago, Conductor2015 said:

O ok I see . Well someone else will Have the chance to start but yes its so close in time that even I wouldn't want it like that . Very little preparation you know . See you in July then . You are still going to go Wednesday right ? At least to hear and see what's going on.

Yea im definitely still going. 

But yea part of me would love to give my current job a big f**k you and only leave them with 2 days notice because upper management sucks here, but my unit is specialized and just got saddled with 3 new people. My supervisor knows I'm leaving so he's been slowly transitioning me but I would still feel bad just dropping my workload on 3 new people, one of whom is not so bright lol. 

Also, my wife and I have a meeting with the school district about some evaluations we had to do for my daughter. That falls on June 18th and I absolutely want to be there and see what they say. 

And lastly, I was hoping to sneak in a short getaway with my wife and daughter before I start the hectic MTA schedule I've heard so much about. If I do June 10th there's no way that could happen. 

So as much as I don't want to lose out on the 6 weeks worth of mta salary that I'm gonna give up, it just isn't possible for me to start Monday. 

9 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

Yea im definitely still going. 

But yea part of me would love to give my current job a big f**k you and only leave them with 2 days notice because upper management sucks here, but my unit is specialized and just got saddled with 3 new people. My supervisor knows I'm leaving so he's been slowly transitioning me but I would still feel bad just dropping my workload on 3 new people, one of whom is not so bright lol. 

Also, my wife and I have a meeting with the school district about some evaluations we had to do for my daughter. That falls on June 18th and I absolutely want to be there and see what they say. 

And lastly, I was hoping to sneak in a short getaway with my wife and daughter before I start the hectic MTA schedule I've heard so much about. If I do June 10th there's no way that could happen. 

So as much as I don't want to lose out on the 6 weeks worth of mta salary that I'm gonna give up, it just isn't possible for me to start Monday. 

Trust me I understand . Best of luck and the beauty of it is that there are more certain classes . So definitely July 

Just now, Conductor2015 said:

Trust me I understand . Best of luck and the beauty of it is that there are more certain classes . So definitely July 

Yea I'll be there most definitely. 

Also added bonus is that I'm likely to be one of the higher numbers in the July class so I have a good chance of getting to pick between divisions if we are given a choice. 

If the June class is on the 10th and July class the 21, that’s over a month between classes. And if they’re already up to 900s for meds for June, I don’t see how they don’t get to near the 1200s in that huge gap between June and July classes. But I could be wrong.

19 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

If the June class is on the 10th and July class the 21, that’s over a month between classes. And if they’re already up to 900s for meds for June, I don’t see how they don’t get to near the 1200s in that huge gap between June and July classes. But I could be wrong.

O that's a definite that they will. They will definitely come into the high 1000s for July