ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

19 minutes ago, Imhim said:

lol you posting students already?? lol let me find out you got a pick job!

Lol nah man, I’ve posted with some Extra Extra people during road posting. By the time they’re out posting, my probation will be over and I may run into them - who knows.

Ain’t no pick job here, here’s hoping I can snag a sweet temp job through the bid next pick.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jay-Oh said:

Lol nah man, I’ve posted with some Extra Extra people during road posting. By the time they’re out posting, my probation will be over and I may run into them - who knows.

Ain’t no pick job here, here’s hoping I can snag a sweet temp job through the bid next pick.

Btw I’m liking how easily laid out the info in the rule book is. It’s not really written in complex language. 

29 minutes ago, Productions27 said:

What are they looking for in the medical exam?

They ask you to fill two questionnaires, one ask about your medical history the other is about sleep apnea. Then they call you in to do a series of tests which includes a vision this test for sight and depth perception, if you wear glasses you do the tests first without your glasses than with them. They measure your blood pressure, measure your height, weight. They then do a EKG test on you they test your urine for diabetes they test your hearing. Once all the tests are concluded the doctor calls you in he goes over the test results with you if it's satisfactory he gives you a white piece of paper saying that you passed medical if it's unsatisfactory you are placed on medical hold until you resolve whatever issue that needs to be resolved. My advice don't volunteer too much information.

6 hours ago, acabral136 said:

I don't think so. 

It's actually called the 1 in 3 rule and it only means that if an agency is hiring from a list, they don't have to select in order. They have to call the top 3 and can pick any one of those 3,even if the other 2 scored higher.

I think it applies more to lists that multiple agencies call from. For example if Dep of health is hiring from the mother vehicle operator list, they can hire any 1 in the top 3, but those other 2 can be hired by any other agency. They don't get disqualified because DOH didn't choose one of them. 

Train operators only get hired by the mta, so i really don't see how the same rule applies here. I would like to see confirmation on this rule actually being used by the MTA because I don't think it makes sense. Of course I may be very wrong. 

Has anybody actually received a latter disqualifying them because of this rule? 

1 in 3 Rule or Rule Of Three

When you take an exam, pass, and end up on a list, under NYS law a hiring manager can select candidates off the list using the “1 in 3 Rule” which is also known as “The Rule of Three”.
There have been many concerns about this practice, but it has been around a long time.

Basically, it allows an agency to select one out of three candidates in a particular place on the list, and not have to take the other two of the three.

For example, if there were three individuals on a list, with respective scores of 100, 95, and 90, and any of them would take the job if offered, the agency can select the one who scored 90 and can disregard the other higher-ranked candidates.

Here’s another example. Say an agency had five openings. A test was given, and a list was certified where one candidate scored 100, one who scored 95, and twenty who scored 90. The agency can skip the 100 and 95 and take their five from the twenty “90” core candidates.

I know of several people who has gotten disqualified based on that rule. What people dont know is if you do get disqualified based on that rule, all you have to do is go to DCAS and ask for your name be put back on the list. As long as the list is ACTIVE the agency will have to consider you from a pool of other candidates. You just have to hope there is someone else the agency doesn't want more than you.  

51 minutes ago, needajob said:

They ask you to fill two questionnaires, one ask about your medical history the other is about sleep apnea. Then they call you in to do a series of tests which includes a vision this test for sight and depth perception, if you wear glasses you do the tests first without your glasses than with them. They measure your blood pressure, measure your height, weight. They then do a EKG test on you they test your urine for diabetes they test your hearing. Once all the tests are concluded the doctor calls you in he goes over the test results with you if it's satisfactory he gives you a white piece of paper saying that you passed medical if it's unsatisfactory you are placed on medical hold until you resolve whatever issue that needs to be resolved. My advice don't volunteer too much information.

Thank you

3 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

Oh ok I gotcha. Yeah they frown upon people taking students while still on probation or a year in title. lol I understand the concept, my thing is if it’s your picked job and you do the run more than once a week, I don’t see the issue. Now if you’re Extra Extra and pick up a job on a line you’ve barely been on then I wouldn’t recommend it lol. Glad you made it through, keep it up, be safe and hope to see you out there! 

8 minutes ago, Imhim said:

Oh ok I gotcha. Yeah they frown upon people taking students while still on probation or a year in title. lol I understand the concept, my thing is if it’s your picked job and you do the run more than once a week, I don’t see the issue. Now if you’re Extra Extra and pick up a job on a line you’ve barely been on then I wouldn’t recommend it lol. Glad you made it through, keep it up, be safe and hope to see you out there! 

Yeah for sure. I get where you’re coming from. I have maybe 2-3 lines that I’m pretty familiar with, with which I would say I’ll only get more familiar over time. 

13 hours ago, needajob said:

When you take an exam, pass, and end up on a list, under NYS law a hiring manager can select candidates off the list using the “1 in 3 Rule” which is also known as “The Rule of Three”.
There have been many concerns about this practice, but it has been around a long time.

Basically, it allows an agency to select one out of three candidates in a particular place on the list, and not have to take the other two of the three.

For example, if there were three individuals on a list, with respective scores of 100, 95, and 90, and any of them would take the job if offered, the agency can select the one who scored 90 and can disregard the other higher-ranked candidates.

Here’s another example. Say an agency had five openings. A test was given, and a list was certified where one candidate scored 100, one who scored 95, and twenty who scored 90. The agency can skip the 100 and 95 and take their five from the twenty “90” core candidates.

I know of several people who has gotten disqualified based on that rule. What people dont know is if you do get disqualified based on that rule, all you have to do is go to DCAS and ask for your name be put back on the list. As long as the list is ACTIVE the agency will have to consider you from a pool of other candidates. You just have to hope there is someone else the agency doesn't want more than you.  

OK if u can reinstate your name then it's not the end of the world, still a little crazy tho. 

18 hours ago, needajob said:

Do all agencies use this rule though? Or just certain ones. Never heard of sanitation, pd or fire using this.

Damn, I may be put on medical hold. I have an 18" neck and my pulmonologist is taking too long to assign me a sleeping test device (all loaned out to other patients). I am going to assume I'm going to get one from the MTA doctor anyway at this rate. Hopefully, I'm only on hold for a week or two...

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

Damn, I may be put on medical hold. I have an 18" neck and my pulmonologist is taking too long to assign me a sleeping test device (all loaned out to other patients). I am going to assume I'm going to get one from the MTA doctor anyway at this rate. Hopefully, I'm only on hold for a week or two...

I would try to go to any pulmonary dr with the soonest available appointment to try to get it taken care of ASAP. 

23 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

Out of 207 yard right?

On 6/26/2019 at 7:17 AM, kev2112 said:

16xx here as well. 1500's got called for 2nd PE last week. I feel like we are right on the cusp....

I only did my 1st PE 6/28/19 I'm in the high 1500s hopefully I can make it for August class....

5 hours ago, 2nice said:

Do all agencies use this rule though? Or just certain ones. Never heard of sanitation, pd or fire using this.

I believe so, but NYPD and FDNY has other ways of disqualify you based on the type of JOB it is as a peace officer. Not sure of sanitation...MTA you can have a felony and still get hired as long as the felony doesn't clash with the position your being considered for. I have seen MTA use this rule more on people trying to go for promotion if they have a disciplinary action or bad sick record. 

2 hours ago, 2nice said:

I would try to go to any pulmonary dr with the soonest available appointment to try to get it taken care of ASAP. 

Yea, my doctor called me back that they have one ready for me to pick up tomorrow. I'll probably still be on hold as I complete the test, but hopefully I'll have the documentation to be taken off it before the end of next week.

Edited by Jericho

On 7/16/2019 at 5:49 PM, needajob said:

So of you pass medical, does one get sworn in that same day or does one have to come back for orientation. Reason I ask is because I want to give my current employer enough time for my notice.

37 minutes ago, Productions27 said:

So of you pass medical, does one get sworn in that same day or does one have to come back for orientation. Reason I ask is because I want to give my current employer enough time for my notice.

yes, you will be sworn in that same day.

On 7/16/2019 at 3:05 PM, Jay-Oh said:

Don’t study signals yet, wait for your instructors as they may change the wording to make it simpler.

I would suggest that you relax and enjoy life for a bit before starting schoolcar.

If you feel like you MUST study; rule book Ch 1 & 2.

If you can find it - learn all 6 points of Restricted Speed Extreme Caution, and learn the radio codes (12-1, 12-2, etc). That’ll give you a decent head start, but you won’t really start digging into the material until you meet your instructors.

Good luck! If you pick the B Division, I may end up posting you later on when you post on the road.

Ive already memorized the restricted speed caution points (actually 5 if i recall) and some of the radio codes. Been peeking at the section about automatics and I realize some context might be needed for me to fully understand them. 

29 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Ive already memorized the restricted speed caution points (actually 5 if i recall) and some of the radio codes. Been peeking at the section about automatics and I realize some context might be needed for me to fully understand them. 

Correct it’s 5 ... but once you begin schoolcar the 5th gets broken down in 2 parts therefore it’s 6 

21 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Oh ok. 

Take a look at this video just to get a glimpse 

We won’t be on no CBTC being new but i find this video to be helpful in giving a small glimpse from an internal point of view to people like me that came from the outside