ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, njbk said:

Great info, thanks again. 

Try to go earlier bc the packet had stuff that took me a while to get together like dates (month and year) of every address for the past 10 years and dates (month and year) of every job you've had since high school (including the address, supervisor name, and phone number). It might be a little difficult to gather all of that information on the day of. 

I already asked this but will again, can anyone provide any information on how getting hired as a provisional employee effects getting the job for real? Am I putting myself at any risk of not getting the job permanently by doing it provisionally? Please and thank you.

21 minutes ago, njbk said:

I already asked this but will again, can anyone provide any information on how getting hired as a provisional employee effects getting the job for real? Am I putting myself at any risk of not getting the job permanently by doing it provisionally? Please and thank you.

Just go and ask. I’m going to ask that same question on Friday when I go

17 minutes ago, njbk said:

I’m going to go but i like to have information before i go into something like this. 

But you not going into nothing. Just ask them personally. All I know is they going to probably be hiring a bunch of people. My cousin rejected this same job last month when they asked him if he wanted the position and they also gave him a day to think about it.

Called myself and got the relevant information from MTA:

When the list is established temporary employees are just made permanent. Time spent as a temporary employee does not count toward your 365 days of probation or seniority. You DO get benefits, vacation, etc.

Woman I spoke to said there is one possible bad scenario: you come on as a temporary employee and some discrepancy  between the list # MTA had you at before and what your actual list number is when it's established causes you to be terminated as a temporary employee and then rehired as a permanent one = you have to do schoolcar twice. She said this is unlikely if you have a very high list number which most people contacted now have, but that it has happened in the past.

2 hours ago, njbk said:

Called myself and got the relevant information from MTA:

When the list is established temporary employees are just made permanent. Time spent as a temporary employee does not count toward your 365 days of probation or seniority. You DO get benefits, vacation, etc.

Woman I spoke to said there is one possible bad scenario: you come on as a temporary employee and some discrepancy  between the list # MTA had you at before and what your actual list number is when it's established causes you to be terminated as a temporary employee and then rehired as a permanent one = you have to do schoolcar twice. She said this is unlikely if you have a very high list number which most people contacted now have, but that it has happened in the past.

Good info right there !!! You should had found out if everybody that got the letter are going to get hired but none the less, great info 

9 minutes ago, njbk said:

I didn’t ask but i think for most part if they’re doing it this way they really need people and will hire all who meet requirements and pass drug/medical. 

That’s awesome news! Good luck to you guys this week. Try to find out for the rest of us what’s going on. Atleast when is the list planning to get established.

21 hours ago, njbk said:

Ive been in 3 years as a train operator... Everything is "temporary" until you get fully out of school car. You have to get 100 on both signal test and a 80 on the final exam. pass the practicals and make it thru the YX program. for me this took 8 months. Im In the A Division. its a lil longer for B division due to more trains to learn! Once you are on the road you still have another 4 months to complete you're probationary period. once you pass that, YOU ARE LOCKED IN!... hope that helps you a lil bit

10 minutes ago, I Run Trains said:

Ive been in 3 years as a train operator... Everything is "temporary" until you get fully out of school car. You have to get 100 on both signal test and a 80 on the final exam. pass the practicals and make it thru the YX program. for me this took 8 months. Im In the A Division. its a lil longer for B division due to more trains to learn! Once you are on the road you still have another 4 months to complete you're probationary period. once you pass that, YOU ARE LOCKED IN!... hope that helps you a lil bit

Thank you! From what they told me when you get hired as a temporary employee this carries over even after schoolcar until the list is established. 

22 hours ago, njbk said:

Also next TO class is May 29. 

Wow. That would be a really short and quick turnaround time for people to start the pre-employment process, then the medical and drug testing this Friday. It also gives them no time to send out offer letters. That's assuming anyone going in tomorrow would be offered the May 29th class. Possibly means they would be in line for the class after that. 

Anyone know which of my assumptions would be correct?

1 minute ago, BRod521 said:

Wow. That would be a really short and quick turnaround time for people to start the pre-employment process, then the medical and drug testing this Friday. It also gives them no time to send out offer letters. That's assuming anyone going in tomorrow would be offered the May 29th class. Possibly means they would be in line for the class after that. 

Anyone know which of my assumptions would be correct?

I was told over the phone and also from TOs who I asked when I saw them that they are in desperate need of TOs because schoolcar passage rates have been bad for some time, probably due to how low they got on the list from the last test. I was told they are trying to fill the May 29th class as fast as possible and that while not confirmed there will likely be another class soon and more after that.

4 minutes ago, njbk said:

I was told over the phone and also from TOs who I asked when I saw them that they are in desperate need of TOs because schoolcar passage rates have been bad for some time, probably due to how low they got on the list from the last test. I was told they are trying to fill the May 29th class as fast as possible and that while not confirmed there will likely be another class soon and more after that.

No complaints on that super quick turnaround lol