Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
ren

T/O #7604 Hiring Process

SevenEleven

LIST STATUS UPDATE: 9/08/2019

This list HAS been established as of 9/19/2018. To view your list number, click here and either type your last name in the search box on the top right or type in "7604" to view the entire list, followed by pressing enter.

PAY: $34 to start, raises to $36 after 231st road day after schoolcar.

TRAINING: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

HIGHEST LIST # CALLED: For initial P/E: (1370s); For Medical: (1200s)

CLASSES SCHEDULED FOR --

Message added by SevenEleven

Guys don't worry, they aren't going to stop hiring TOs forever. Even if they stop this last quarter, there will be other quarters. Just requires patience but u will get there. 

Feel bad for the people that got those ridiculous 1 in 3 letters and were disqualified through no fault of their own. They have no chance. All you have to do is wait. 

• Thumbs Up 3

40 minutes ago, AgPhoenix2581 said:

Minus around 3.50. If I made that, I'd be whole lot less stressed about all of this.

I make 18.50 and I bust my ass giving out tickets, I would love to make around that range. This pay is disrespectful 

7 hours ago, AgPhoenix2581 said:

Minus around 3.50. If I made that, I'd be whole lot less stressed about all of this.

CRs can move laterally into flagging (where most people get their bread) but there is always late clears and OT available.  They always need CRs.

The TO title is a different animal all together.  When I bring the train in, TDs always ask or tell you to lay a train up.  Really cuts into the social life sometimes.  Sometimes I envy my partner who just WAAs at the terminal while I'm in the yard pumping the handbrakes on these trains and then climbing thru the yard or the structure to get back and sign out.

10 hours ago, Dave2836 said:

CRs can move laterally into flagging (where most people get their bread) but there is always late clears and OT available.  They always need CRs.

The TO title is a different animal all together.  When I bring the train in, TDs always ask or tell you to lay a train up.  Really cuts into the social life sometimes.  Sometimes I envy my partner who just WAAs at the terminal while I'm in the yard pumping the handbrakes on these trains and then climbing thru the yard or the structure to get back and sign out.

that's why operators get paid more than conductors

12 hours ago, Dave2836 said:

Man I know that’s right lol.

My partner on Friday WAA’d for 4 straight hours while I was doing a double transfer between JYD and CIY. Ended up 2+1 cause of that move.

Just to go back to the gray shirt and blue pants we’re suppose to wear until we get our uniforms. I’m looking to get precise details (does the color of the gray matter) and do we have to wear our boots right away even before we hit the yard? Thanks

2 hours ago, Fredman0220 said:

Just to go back to the gray shirt and blue pants we’re suppose to wear until we get our uniforms. I’m looking to get precise details (does the color of the gray matter) and do we have to wear our boots right away even before we hit the yard? Thanks

Don’t overthink it too much. The shade of gray doesn’t matter - as long as it passes as gray.

Yes - wear your boots at all times on the clock - even if you’re just sitting in the school. Later on, when you go back to the school, they will expect you to bring everything (rules & tools), during schoolcar it’s best practice to bring all your books when you visit the school.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know @Jay-Oh mentioned to wait til schoolcar to start studying signals but I've admittedly been looking through automatics, s and d signal aspects and memorized a bit almost verbatim in the rule book almost every day. It's a combo of excitedess, some limited nervousness and just wanting to begin putting in the hard work now. Don't want ANY chance of failing out of schoolcar. Oh, and @Imhim I'm def going with Div B if I get to pick.

2 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

I know @Jay-Oh mentioned to wait til schoolcar to start studying signals but I've admittedly been looking through automatics, s and d signal aspects and memorized a bit almost verbatim in the rule book almost every day. It's a combo of excitedess, some limited nervousness and just wanting to begin putting in the hard work now. Don't want ANY chance of failing out of schoolcar. Oh, and @Imhim I'm def going with Div B if I get to pick.

It’s always good to have a base understanding of the signals. Just don’t delve too deep into it because the signal guide/rulebooks might not have it down how the TSS wants you to remember them. Also - schoolcar is a lot, but it’s certainly not that hard as long as you study and put the effort in.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Yeah like what @Jay-Oh said I wouldn’t try to look too much into the signals right now. I was guilt of that also and was stressing out, lol, but once I got to school car and the TSS explained it thoroughly, it all made sense. My advice would be study the first 3 chapters and you’ll be fine! 

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Imhim said:

Yeah like what @Jay-Oh said I wouldn’t try to look too much into the signals right now. I was guilt of that also and was stressing out, lol, but once I got to school car and the TSS explained it thoroughly, it all made sense. My advice would be study the first 3 chapters and you’ll be fine! 

Yeah I tried to look into the signals and things, while I understood some I couldn’t understand much. It was like reading another language bcuz I don’t know what any of this means. I just decided not to stress bcuz I know once I get into training I’ll be just fine once it’s being explained to me and not me trying to teach myself on something I know nothing of. Thanks for all of you guys feedback, so excited to get started in 2 weeks.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

It’s always good to have a base understanding of the signals. Just don’t delve too deep into it because the signal guide/rulebooks might not have it down how the TSS wants you to remember them. Also - schoolcar is a lot, but it’s certainly not that hard as long as you study and put the effort in.

When does one get the study material for school car? On day one orientation or on the 2nd day at the school?

1 hour ago, Productions27 said:

When does one get the study material for school car? On day one orientation or on the 2nd day at the school?

You’ll get the rulebook as soon as you swear in, then maybe the 2 or 3rd day at the school - you’ll get all your school car books.

On 8/4/2019 at 2:31 PM, Jay-Oh said:

Man I know that’s right lol.

My partner on Friday WAA’d for 4 straight hours while I was doing a double transfer between JYD and CIY. Ended up 2+1 cause of that move.

what does WAA mean/stand for?

53 minutes ago, train1290 said:

what does WAA mean/stand for?

Means Work As Assigned.

Means they can have you do whatever is needed as long as it doesn’t exceed the WAA timeframe. However - a lot of the time - it just means you chill for a bit.

22 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

Does the tss use signal definitions other than the rule book says? How many hours per day do you drill them in the classroom and on the road? Also, I was wondering, would I be allowed to phone record my tss going over the aspects of the yard practicals for a reference?

13 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Does the tss use signal definitions other than the rule book says? How many hours per day do you drill them in the classroom and on the road? Also, I was wondering, would I be allowed to phone record my tss going over the aspects of the yard practicals for a reference?

The answer to all of your questions depends on your TSS.

Some TSS like the rulebook/signal guide definitions verbatim, while others like to edit out the “fluff”. As you well know - the definitions are written in lawyernese.

From my experience - we hit up signals almost everyday. If we finished something and we have free class time - my TSS would start hitting us with verbal signal quizzes (no books allowed). During road days - 1 TSS would be in the cab with whoever is operating, and the other would be w/ the rest of the class reviewing whatever it is they feel necessary.

Idk about the phone recording - but I’m gonna say that the chances of them allowing it are slim to none.

4 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

The answer to all of your questions depends on your TSS.

Some TSS like the rulebook/signal guide definitions verbatim, while others like to edit out the “fluff”. As you well know - the definitions are written in lawyernese.

From my experience - we hit up signals almost everyday. If we finished something and we have free class time - my TSS would start hitting us with verbal signal quizzes (no books allowed). During road days - 1 TSS would be in the cab with whoever is operating, and the other would be w/ the rest of the class reviewing whatever it is they feel necessary.

Idk about the phone recording - but I’m gonna say that the chances of them allowing it are slim to none.

Okay-thx!

6 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

Means Work As Assigned.

Means they can have you do whatever is needed as long as it doesn’t exceed the WAA timeframe. However - a lot of the time - it just means you chill for a bit.

Don't count on them not giving you a task that doesnt exceed clearing time during WAA. 

Been given plenty of runs within 40 mins of WAA that ended up being 3+1.5.

5 hours ago, Dave2836 said:

Don't count on them not giving you a task that doesnt exceed clearing time during WAA. 

Been given plenty of runs within 40 mins of WAA that ended up being 3+1.5.

I know that from experience yeah. Sucks but what can you do.

13 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

relax bro, every1 passes the exam, its not difficult at all, u gotta be really really dumb, cuz ive seen TOs who passed the exam that are not intelligent, and i thought to myself how the heck did they become TOs. a while back when i was a clerk, ive met and talked with alot of TOs, CRs, and BOs. I left my other job as soon as i passed medical and now im just chilling. 

• LMAO! 1

11 minutes ago, adam223 said:

relax bro, every1 passes the exam, its not difficult at all, u gotta be really really dumb, cuz ive seen TOs who passed the exam that are not intelligent, and i thought to myself how the heck did they become TOs. a while back when i was a clerk, ive met and talked with alot of TOs, CRs, and BOs. I left my other job as soon as i passed medical and now im just chilling. 

I agree that you have to be VERY lacking to fail the exam - BUT it has happened. Someone in my induction class failed, don’t ask me how. 

To what @adam223 said about seeing some dumb people pass and complete schoolcar - I see that and ask myself the same thing every single day.

I was at the simulator yesterday and there was another class there taking their first signal test. From what I heard, one of them failed. 

Even if it isn't super hard, don't take it for granted and study your ass off anyway. U don't want to fail over a single word that u didn't read properly in the question. We had a quiz and one of the answers was "expecting the next signal to clear" and the other was "expecting the signal to be clear". Some people in my class got it wrong just cause they missed that 'be'. So even something as easy as a fixed automatic signal displaying a green aspect can trip u up if u go in there too cocky and don't read the question thoroughly. 

Edited by acabral136