ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

Take it with a grain of salt but we actually asked my instructor if he was moving on to the next class after us (we start yard posting in 10 days) and he said there are no scheduled classes for the rest of the year. Hate to be the bearer of bad news if that is true but I don't want anybody to get their hopes up too much. He might be wrong but he's also one of the more senior schoolcar TSSs so he would be one to know. 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/23/2019 at 4:50 PM, acabral136 said:

Take it with a grain of salt but we actually asked my instructor if he was moving on to the next class after us (we start yard posting in 10 days) and he said there are no scheduled classes for the rest of the year. Hate to be the bearer of bad news if that is true but I don't want anybody to get their hopes up too much. He might be wrong but he's also one of the more senior schoolcar TSSs so he would be one to know. 

Damm this is very disappointing, I just wanna be a T/O already ugh......

1 minute ago, Mrhands0me said:

Damm this is very disappointing, I just wanna be a T/O already ugh......

Things may change. He's also said multiple times that they need a lot of operators. So it isn't the end of hiring. There just isn't anything scheduled right now. 

2 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

Things may change. He's also said multiple times that they need a lot of operators. So it isn't the end of hiring. There just isn't anything scheduled right now. 

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. 16xx......excited but patient.

27 minutes ago, shoeman said:

Hi. 13xx here. Did 2 P/Es  already, last in June. I'll be 55 years old in November and getting older. Am I too old for this job? Thanks.

Over 40 you have no need to worry about age discrimination. EEOC has firm rules in place to protect you. Age has no bearing on hiring especially in this case as a city agency. https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/age.cfm

Edited by Rohq

10 minutes ago, Rohq said:

Over 40 you have no need to worry about age discrimination. EEOC has firm rules in place to protect you. As a city agency, age has no bearing on hiring. https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/age.cfm

Thanks for responding. I guess I meant , will I be able to physically do this job at over 55 for those of you experienced at this job. I'm in decent shape and healthy.

13 minutes ago, shoeman said:

Thanks for responding. I guess I meant , will I be able to physically do this job at over 55 for those of you experienced at this job. I'm in decent shape and healthy.

I'm only a bit over a decade behind you and have similar worries but more mental than physical. Turned down bus operator for this job hoping it is more physical. Remember the days when train operators stood but that may just have been a service train or such. Coming from a family of masons, dad just retired at 70, don't think you have to worry about physical aspect . I'm also curious to hear from those who have more experience what the biggest challenge is.

You will be climbing up and down the trains and bending down to inspect things quite often. You will also do a lot of walking in the yard getting to the train and inspecting it. My instructor said there was a 70 year old who passed and became a train operator and I have a 50 year old person in my class right now who's doing pretty good. You should be fine.

7 hours ago, Kj224 said:

For those in school car hows your progress going? Are the instructors helpful in teaching the information? 

Schoolcar is cool. It’s a lot of work at first but it starts to click after a while. The instructors for my class are great, they don’t make it easy but they definitely have us well prepared. Also FYI I heard there will be a class late October for all of you who’ve been antsy and wondering.

On 9/27/2019 at 6:59 PM, Fredman0220 said:

Schoolcar is cool. It’s a lot of work at first but it starts to click after a while. The instructors for my class are great, they don’t make it easy but they definitely have us well prepared. Also FYI I heard there will be a class late October for all of you who’ve been antsy and wondering.

Seems like it would be difficult to have a T/O class for October. I am 13XX, only about 100 away from last called. I haven't even been contacted about a new PE yet, since last one was June 12th and expired. Am I missing something?

On 9/23/2019 at 4:50 PM, acabral136 said:

One word...

Contract...

Only 40 vacancies for this october class 100 called 1295 highest list number requested out of the bunch they started back at 1. Very small class of about 75 including conductors. The ball is rolling for the first quarter so far, i am hopeful that they will continue the momentum for november given that something similar happened back in april right before the end of the twu contract in may. It shows they still need T/O’s during this contract negotiation period. I say all of this to say its a slow process but it’s some progress, keep being patient they will get to us.

On 10/3/2019 at 6:32 AM, Nexdup said:

Only 40 vacancies for this october class 100 called 1295 highest list number requested out of the bunch they started back at 1. Very small class of about 75 including conductors. The ball is rolling for the first quarter so far, i am hopeful that they will continue the momentum for november given that something similar happened back in april right before the end of the twu contract in may. It shows they still need T/O’s during this contract negotiation period. I say all of this to say its a slow process but it’s some progress, keep being patient they will get to us.

Tbh, the conductors sheets look like ghost towns. 

I'm currently a C/R just found I'm 9XX on the T/O list after my appeal went through. 

If there is another class, hopefully I'm in it. I'd at least like to try. 

13 minutes ago, kellgh said:

I'm currently a C/R just found I'm 9XX on the T/O list after my appeal went through. 

You're not going to finish probation first?

5 hours ago, kellgh said:

You should call to find out what number they are up to if you want to know if you’re in this round. The class size is only 40 for t/o’s

Just now, Schecter said:

Oh you're good then I have to wait until next June 😭

Just be the best CR you can be before and after. 

Don't let any T/O bark on you for pulling the cord, or calling RCC or anything. Finish probation. There are a few T/O's I got a bone to pick with. Not going to name names, but they need a chill pill.

And I'm sure you heard what happened at Crescent St. BIE = call RCC.

3 minutes ago, kellgh said:

Just be the best CR you can be before and after. 

Don't let any T/O bark on you for pulling the cord, or calling RCC or anything. Finish probation. There are a few T/O's I got a bone to pick with. Not going to name names, but they need a chill pill.

And I'm sure you heard what happened at Crescent St. BIE = call RCC.

I'm in the A division got out of school car 3 months ago, some T/Os are telling me to go straight to T/O without finishing probation first and some are saying to finish probation as a C/R before moving up to T/O

6 minutes ago, Schecter said:

I'm in the A division got out of school car 3 months ago, some T/Os are telling me to go straight to T/O without finishing probation first and some are saying to finish probation as a C/R before moving up to T/O

Finish probation first.

If they decide you aren't good enough to a T/O or you have an incident (12-9; everyone reacts different), *you still have a job, and you still have union representation if you have an incident.* I know a few former T/Os who had a 12-9 and were like... that's all for now folks (no shame) and went right back to C/R b/c they were qualified for C/R. I know former T/Os that had incidents and were involuntary demoted to C/R. And they were already qualified.

All those T/Os who potentially fail get offered cleaner positions, but would you rather be a C/R at stage 2 page, or a CTA at stage 1 pay? I know someone who didn't finish their probation for TW/O and went T/O, but was sent back and ended up C/R, and had to climb back up. Waaaaaaait.

There are a bunch of T/Os down there with 1-4 years as a conductor. The T/O test does not expire until 2022. *You have more than enough time.* You just started 4 months ago. This is the best time to start learning line ups (esp since as a T/O you *will* be going to B div), signals, reading your iron, yard schematics... all that. 

Edited by kellgh

17 minutes ago, kellgh said:

Finish probation first.

If they decide you aren't good enough to a T/O or you have an incident (12-9; everyone reacts different), *you still have a job, and you still have union representation if you have an incident.* I know a few former T/Os who had a 12-9 and were like... that's all for now folks (no shame) and went right back to C/R b/c they were qualified for C/R. I know former T/Os that had incidents and were involuntary demoted to C/R. And they were already qualified.

All those T/Os who potentially fail get offered cleaner positions, but would you rather be a C/R at stage 2 page, or a CTA at stage 1 pay? I know someone who didn't finish their probation for TW/O and went T/O, but was sent back and ended up C/R, and had to climb back up. Waaaaaaait.

There are a bunch of T/Os down there with 1-4 years as a conductor. The T/O test does not expire until 2022. *You have more than enough time.* You just started 4 months ago. This is the best time to start learning line ups (esp since as a T/O you *will* be going to B div), signals, reading your iron, yard schematics... all that. 

Why would I be going B? Even though I prefer it lol does everybody pick the A? 

2 hours ago, Schecter said:

Why would I be going B? Even though I prefer it lol does everybody pick the A? 

No choice.

B div is bigger. Needs more T/Os. A div -- people stick around longer.

Notice in A div, you can see someone twice in the same week? B div -- might see them twice in the same month.