ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

2 hours ago, Schecter said:

Why would I be going B? Even though I prefer it lol does everybody pick the A? 

In my induction class (August 2019), promotionals picked first and then the open competitives went next. Whoever didn't managed to get into B were forced into A.

Passed the first yard practical, but schoolcar is getting a bit hectic. I have the final yard practical and the signal test coming in a couple weeks, but we had very few days reserved to practice. Most of the schedule has my class relaying trains out of terminals beforehand. Definitely have to keep studying for signals as time is definitely flying by.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/13/2019 at 3:29 PM, Jericho said:

In my induction class (August 2019), promotionals picked first and then the open competitives went next. Whoever didn't managed to get into B were forced into A.

Passed the first yard practical, but schoolcar is getting a bit hectic. I have the final yard practical and the signal test coming in a couple weeks, but we had very few days reserved to practice. Most of the schedule has my class relaying trains out of terminals beforehand. Definitely have to keep studying for signals as time is definitely flying by.

You got this man, think of it like this you've got this far so you better pass the rest!! Which you will pass so no worries 

3 hours ago, Snowblock said:

Hey guys just a friendly reminder that when you are in the YX program, you are not to operate a train with customers on board UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

It seems like this happens every time a new YX class comes out.

Starting YX tomorrow. A week and a half of Yard enhancement (visiting all the yards one more time) and then off on our own for 2 months. The wack part is that no more Saturday n Sundays off but it'll feel good to be on my own. I feel like I learn better without training wheels. 

On 10/14/2019 at 10:22 PM, Snowblock said:

Hey guys just a friendly reminder that when you are in the YX program, you are not to operate a train with customers on board UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Yeah I heard about that one.  

Honestly I blame management for this one. 

It's a clear sign of how recklessly they crew up.  

Yes, I know the employee should of notified supervision of YX status.  

6 hours ago, Late Clear said:

Yeah I heard about that one.  

Honestly I blame management for this one. 

It's a clear sign of how recklessly they crew up.  

Yes, I know the employee should of notified supervision of YX status.  

I think he's ready for the road.  The crew office seemed to think so as well.

On 10/15/2019 at 1:27 AM, Schecter said:

You got this man, think of it like this you've got this far so you better pass the rest!! Which you will pass so no worries 

Thanks. We just did the midterm exam today and the signal pre-test and aced both of them. If the pre-test is anything like the real thing, I should be all right. Just gotta stay on top of it.

Schoolcar seem pretty optimistic as we also received our yard posting papers. First week afternoon, second week evening, and third morning tours.

6 hours ago, Jericho said:

Thanks. We just did the midterm exam today and the signal pre-test and aced both of them. If the pre-test is anything like the real thing, I should be all right. Just gotta stay on top of it.

Schoolcar seem pretty optimistic as we also received our yard posting papers. First week afternoon, second week evening, and third morning tours.

Imma be going for t/o after my year of c/r how hard would you say it was the signal bs and midterm it cant be mind blowing hard like everyone is making it out to be right?

13 hours ago, Schecter said:

Yeah okay thought so people making it sound like it's some rocket science, or some astrophysicist thesis paper.

We had a lot of nervous people in my class but we all passed all of our stuff. We had one guy fail because of the practical but he still passed his midterm and signals and all of the tests except for maybe 2 in the very beginning. This stuff is not simple but it isn't complicated either, just have to study and apply yourself. 

3 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

We had a lot of nervous people in my class but we all passed all of our stuff. We had one guy fail because of the practical but he still passed his midterm and signals and all of the tests except for maybe 2 in the very beginning. This stuff is not simple but it isn't complicated either, just have to study and apply yourself. 

Which practical road or the yx?

This job is not for everyone, but if you're determined, apply yourself, work hard, ask questions, keep a positive attitude, you'll make it.  

Also for anyone getting drafted into the A division, don't be discouraged.  The A division has less equipment, less reporting locations and a easier road to learn.  However the operation is more precise with tighter headway's, smaller stations, and ATS.   Great place to start as a Train Operator.  You can make a move later on in your career if you desire to.  You have 25 years.

On 10/18/2019 at 2:12 PM, MarkGuy said:

Yes, Im finding it nowhere near as complex as they made it sound. But people are different.

I don't think it's worrying about complexity as much as it is to memorize the signals properly especially when there are several signs that are rather wordy.

On 10/18/2019 at 3:50 PM, acabral136 said:

Apparently he ended up missing the brake stem AGAIN.

On 10/18/2019 at 4:15 PM, MarkGuy said:

Damn. Passed my midterm and pre signal test with 100s but I’m not staying complacent. Still kinda nervous about the fact that you have much less leeway on the mult choice section of the signal test tho

Yea, I am a bit concerned about that too because if I missed or forgot something and I choose the wrong one, pop goes the balloon for me.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:46 PM, Late Clear said:

This job is not for everyone, but if you're determined, apply yourself, work hard, ask questions, keep a positive attitude, you'll make it.  

Also for anyone getting drafted into the A division, don't be discouraged.  The A division has less equipment, less reporting locations and a easier road to learn.  However the operation is more precise with tighter headway's, smaller stations, and ATS.   Great place to start as a Train Operator.  You can make a move later on in your career if you desire to.  You have 25 years.

Yea definitely less equipment to remember details on for sure. Even terminology for the same thing is different depending on which one you're on.

31 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Isnt the brake pipe rupture test when you're in the yard listening for air escaping the train and you gotta close the angel or w.e and see if the train goes BIE?

Yes. You close the angles in the middle after having secured the train and deactivated HVAC. Then you reopen them after a min. If the train goes BIE (at this point it should be partially charged) the front section is good and the back is bad.