ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

4 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Yes. You close the angles in the middle after having secured the train and deactivated HVAC. Then you reopen them after a min. If the train goes BIE (at this point it should be partially charged) the front section is good and the back is bad.

Sounds complicated af but since its drilled into your head it should be easily remembered no? Especially since you hear the air escaping from the train. I'm not speaking from experience since I'm only a c/r until my 1 year probation is up then I'm jumping to t/o.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Sounds complicated af but since its drilled into your head it should be easily remembered no? Especially since you hear the air escaping from the train. I'm not speaking from experience since I'm only a c/r until my 1 year probation is up then I'm jumping to t/o.

ITs much easier than you think. There is certain verbiage you must say during the Brake pipe rupture sim but it’s easy to remember cause if your tss is serious they’ll drill it into your head repeatedly.

2 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

ITs much easier than you think. There is certain verbiage you must say during the Brake pipe rupture sim but it’s easy to remember cause if your tss is serious they’ll drill it into your head repeatedly.

Lmao oh my ass just thought you'd say I hear air hissing imma close the angels and pass LOL

10 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Lmao oh my ass just thought you'd say I hear air hissing imma close the angels and pass LOL

You do mention the hissing air but obviously you can’t just do nothing about it after noticing it.

Have to reset the ebv, check if your train recharged, question the passengers as to who pulled the cord, tell RCC And go back to your position , check indication, and tell the passengers and the conductor the investigation is done. And a few more things 

Don't forget to secure the train and bring a shoe paddle with you. And also mention your ppe. 

N a big one is don't forget to release handbrake before taking off after the bie has been resolved. Those are all things people easily forget. 

2 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

Don't forget to secure the train and bring a shoe paddle with you. And also mention your ppe. 

N a big one is don't forget to release handbrake before taking off after the bie has been resolved. Those are all things people easily forget. 

Always wondered what the hell the shoe paddle was for I thought it was for unruly passengers LOL

2 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Always wondered what the hell the shoe paddle was for I thought it was for unruly passengers LOL

It's for removing debris on the 3rd rail and also for breaking shoe ribbons on a runaway motor, although they don't want us doing that anymore. 

41 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

Yeah true handbrakes are a major part of you’re doing it on smee. I was never told to mention ppe though. 

40 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Yeah true handbrakes are a major part of you’re doing it on smee. I was never told to mention ppe though. 

Yea remember that you can't descend to the roadbed without your gloves, glasses, flashlight and vest, but u can operate with just gloves. So mention during the practical that you will put on your ppe before descending if u do not have it on. Its probably a minor thing because u will be wearing it during the practical anyway, but it will win u points if u mention it. 

1 minute ago, Schecter said:

Oh so you must pump all the hand breaks in the number 1 cab on smee?

You have to use the verbiage "sufficient handbrakes". How much is sufficient depends on the grade but on level track, 2 should be enough for the BIE. 

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

Oh so you must pump all the hand breaks in the number 1 cab on smee?

For the practical practice  my tss has us just apply one handbrake in the first cab before securing and descending but if you’re doing this for real I think one should suffice but if you want to apply 2 sure.

1 hour ago, acabral136 said:

Yea remember that you can't descend to the roadbed without your gloves, glasses, flashlight and vest, but u can operate with just gloves. So mention during the practical that you will put on your ppe before descending if u do not have it on. Its probably a minor thing because u will be wearing it during the practical anyway, but it will win u points if u mention it. 

Did not know this I’ll try thx! Also we got our posting papers this week too so we’re almost done with schoolcar’s hardest part.

6 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

For the practical practice  my tss has us just apply one handbrake in the first cab before securing and descending but if you’re doing this for real I think one should suffice but if you want to apply 2 sure.

Would that be anywhere on the train that you apply 2?

19 hours ago, rondread445 said:

Not to interrupt, but shouldn't this conversation be in the Schoolcar Experience thread? 

Hey Rondread445 I was just thinking that the other day. I follow this thread to get some insight on the next set of PE’s and any updates new hires can tell us. All these people’s school car experiences make next to no sense, I keep getting excited seeing a lot of posts- meaning activity but they’re all irrelevant to me as we don’t have any material to reference and I’m sure to many others situations. No offense to anyone whose posted of course, just adding my 2 cents. Thanks 

You guys are right. Somebody asked a question and we got carried away answering them. I will try to only answer questions about schoolcar in that thread from now on so if anybody has any questions about how it's going, just go ahead and ask it in there. 

On 10/14/2019 at 10:22 PM, Snowblock said:

Hey guys just a friendly reminder that when you are in the YX program, you are not to operate a train with customers on board UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

If somebody else effs up  crew wise and you know its wrong correct it...

Both parties didn't do their jobs..

The Crew Office and the YX TO...