ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

A memo was issued today that states that of the 2700 jobs proposed to be cut, 700 of those are operational, which will be cut by attrition. Likely means there won't be many classes for a while, sorry to say. I'm sharing this info because I know how hungry for information you guys must be. Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news. Maybe things will change tho. 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, beanz said:

A memo was issued today that states that of the 2700 jobs proposed to be cut, 700 of those are operational, which will be cut by attrition. Likely means there won't be many classes for a while, sorry to say. I'm sharing this info because I know how hungry for information you guys must be. Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news. Maybe things will change tho. 

Is there a way you could post that memo or tell us where we can find it if its public information

1 hour ago, Nexdup said:

Is there a way you could post that memo or tell us where we can find it if its public information

I don't want to post the memo since it seems to be an internal thing. But the article posted by someone else above pretty much sums it up. 

I just finished reading both articles it doesn’t seem as if it was operational titles. It just seemed like another reiteration of what was stated before when we believed a freeze was occurring some time ago. Could you post the line of the memo that stated that verbatim?

1 minute ago, Nexdup said:

I just finished reading both articles it doesn’t seem as if it was operational titles. It just seemed like another reiteration of what was stated before when we believed a freeze was occurring some time ago. Could you post the line of the memo that stated that verbatim?

Both of the articles state 700 of those jobs are in transit operations. Since they can't lay us off they just gonna stop hiring. But I'll post the line.. 

"As originally reported in the July financial plan and reiterated yesterday, there is going to be a reduction in 2,700 positions by the end of the year across the MTA, including 700 operational positions, which we believe will be achieved primarily through attrition."

1 hour ago, Nexdup said:

Correct but it will cost more to operate the trains with the current workforce. And they don't want to spend more it seems as if they are going to hire smaller groups to cut costs to fill the desired 800 positions currently. 

I hope u are right. 

4 hours ago, Nexdup said:

Remember it's always less expensive to pay overtime compared to hiring additional employees.  

I surmise the cuts will mostly be in stations now with the roll out of OMNY.   

Also by reorganizing certain lines in the Pick they are able to cut jobs...

Also cutting 25 work train positions in the B Div...

So now those TOs and CRs who barely had picked Jobs are bumped back to Extra extra..

No need to hire that many since they have enough personnel.

Edited by RTOMan

On 2/28/2020 at 11:10 PM, Late Clear said:

Remember it's always less expensive to pay overtime compared to hiring additional employees.  

I surmise the cuts will mostly be in stations now with the roll out of OMNY.   

You are correct they got plenty of folks down here who will do an extra trip in a heartbeat...

Or stay late four hrs doing switching..Or Platform...

TA Knows this..

I do feel some Supts jobs are being looked at..

I am not talking about the ones out in the field with us either..

Lots of dead weight in those office buildings who will get shown the door..

Stations once again will take it on the chin also access a ride folks too..

Edited by RTOMan

On 3/1/2020 at 11:54 AM, Nexdup said:

Guess i didn't take the over head into account with hiring a new employee. Sounds like the hiring is over then. I hope this is not the case, i hope they have classes scheduled soon or extend the list. 

Don't get discouraged.  

They'll hire if they have to.  

Right from the start we were admonished to go about our lives like we never took this test. I’m 163X and was hopeful on being appointed within the next nine months. However, I’ve been hustling to the best of my ability and was just hired into a job that pays just as good as T/O, with more time off.  Hopefully mTA will extend the list to compensate for the hiring freeze, like they did for the previous T/O list. Stay hopeful, go about life as if you never took the test, keep your mailing address current with 180, and what will be will be

5 hours ago, Embalmman said:

Right from the start we were admonished to go about our lives like we never took this test. I’m 163X and was hopeful on being appointed within the next nine months. However, I’ve been hustling to the best of my ability and was just hired into a job that pays just as good as T/O, with more time off.  Hopefully mTA will extend the list to compensate for the hiring freeze, like they did for the previous T/O list. Stay hopeful, go about life as if you never took the test, keep your mailing address current with 180, and what will be will be

If you're content with the salary you are receiving now and it's in a stable industry I suggest you stick with it.  

Time off is nonexistent on this job and the first 5 years are rough.  

Think about it.  There are many aspects of this job and NYCTA that are different than most civil service titles.  

17 hours ago, Late Clear said:

If you're content with the salary you are receiving now and it's in a stable industry I suggest you stick with it.  

Time off is nonexistent on this job and the first 5 years are rough.  

Think about it.  There are many aspects of this job and NYCTA that are different than most civil service titles.  

You are correct about that..

Extra extra you are at the mercy of the Crew Office and they do not care about our problems...

Putting in for days off and hope you get it and you do not ,then you book off and as a probationary employee all that does is gets your probation extented then you have a incident they look to terminate..

Just to give a heads up of whats going on internally and the general situation right now. As another poster stated, some work train jobs got eliminated and some operators had to go back to road jobs. Some T/O's hired from the end of the old list and from the same classes as those on the promtional list before the 7604 list was being called from, were able to pick a job for the first time last pick (We're talking about late 2017 to early 2018 classes). Those T/O's got picked out and were not able to pick, this pick in B division (A division is picking right now). All those T/O's are now extra extra again. No one from this list (7604) has ever picked a job yet. There is a few hundred extra extra T/O's right now and from the last big batch, June graduated, July just graduated, and August is about to graduate, so even more extra extra T/O's. This info is pertinent to hiring because Transit must always have  a surplus of extra extra personnel for coverage of open jobs and ppl calling out.

Schoolcar TSS's said they've been told there will be no classes in the forseeable future, but in the same sentence, it can change at a moments notice. I don't think there will be big batch, back to back month classes soon, but small classes as needed like they have been recently. Everyone in the 1300-1700 range (just throwing out numbers that are close) just be ready with paper work and have your "medical" in order incase the call comes and you won't be put on hold.

Good Luck to everyone. Hope this helps, I know I wanted any and all info when I was waiting.

Keep your hopes up, but not all in one basket.  The retention rate down here is still about 50%.  They will hire again before you know it.  

To me this is just the standard pattern of MBA's who never worked an operational title in public service over reacting with their decisions, making decisions they may or may not be fully qualified to make.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 4:24 PM, Dave2836 said:

Keep your hopes up, but not all in one basket.  The retention rate down here is still about 50%.  They will hire again before you know it.  

To me this is just the standard pattern of MBA's who never worked an operational title in public service over reacting with their decisions, making decisions they may or may not be fully qualified to make.

I totally agree. 

Also so many people in the mta will retire because of this, and I know for a fact theres many people planning on retiring before this pandemic even happened. Train, busses, conductors, you name it. People will put their papers in as soon as they are able too. 

The jobs will open. Remember this list is the first train operator list in years. Its a slight snag guys. Before you know you will be there. 

Without people to run service for the city then there is no city. People will leave. Things have to get better. The country doesnt move without the MTA. They will get this sorted out. God willing.

On 3/27/2020 at 10:58 PM, Moody said:

I totally agree. 

Also so many people in the mta will retire because of this, and I know for a fact theres many people planning on retiring before this pandemic even happened. Train, busses, conductors, you name it. People will put their papers in as soon as they are able too. 

The jobs will open. Remember this list is the first train operator list in years. Its a slight snag guys. Before you know you will be there. 

Without people to run service for the city then there is no city. People will leave. Things have to get better. The country doesnt move without the MTA. They will get this sorted out. God willing.

Yes it's most likely a giant pause, and eventually when everything is over I suspect they will extend a lot of civil service lists, not just for this title.