ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/8/2020 at 8:27 PM, Schecter said:

Yeah I'm on the primary list also I have no clue what it means either.

My SWAG is the first group of eligible to be certified. They certified 1947 or 1948 of us. 
so, if 1950 called and is on the “primary” list as well my hunch is incorrect 

3 hours ago, beanz said:

You guys need to be more hopeful. My boy has been an operator for 6 years and he scored like a 83 on the 2009 exam. They extended it and he got lucky so u never know. His list number was very high.

i have 2 friends who scored 85 on this test, their list numbers are in the 5000s

30 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

i have 2 friends who scored 85 on this test, their list numbers are in the 5000s

Yea I think more people took this test than the 2009 test, but people under 3000 shouldn't freak out. I think they will reach the 3000s before the list expires.

I hope to get in soon. I’m currently working in a NYC Health and Hospital facility. Been working here very comfortably for the past 13 years but I need something different, I’m bored. My main concern Is in regards to retirement plan. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to stay in my NYCERS tier 4, I would hate to not be able to carry that over.

2 hours ago, Brytstar said:

I hope to get in soon. I’m currently working in a NYC Health and Hospital facility. Been working here very comfortably for the past 13 years but I need something different, I’m bored. My main concern Is in regards to retirement plan. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to stay in my NYCERS tier 4, I would hate to not be able to carry that over.

I'm almost certain you will stay in your tier. One of the guys I posted with worked with nyc health and hospitals and I believe he said he kept his tier. You can always call nycers and confirm.

14 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

I check my Email daily about 5-10x a day. i NEVER got an email regarding "if I'm still interested for the T/O gig".  OF COURSE I AM! LOL. But, nope, no email!  Crossing my Fingers still. I really hope they still want to hire even after Post-Covid

what's your list number? maybe they're contacting people who are closer to being called again just speculation.

Transit pension it based on Allowable service which is service while working for the transit all of the prior service does not count toward your pension If you have vested service you will receive another pension at age 62 for them years That pension will be based on the salary you were earning when you left your present job

22 hours ago, Brytstar said:

You will be able to keep your nycers tier 4 when you com to transit! Just make sure you transfer everything over, you got like a 2 year window for that. 

On 6/11/2020 at 11:12 AM, Elfamoso2020 said:

You will be able to keep your nycers tier 4 when you com to transit! Just make sure you transfer everything over, you got like a 2 year window for that. 

Thanks, that’s a relief to know. 

On 4/8/2020 at 6:21 PM, beanz said:

I hope you guys that haven't been called are counting your blessings.

41 and counting dead. I just went back to work today after 2 weeks of self quarintine. My great grandma tested positive before she died and I took my grandmother to see her. Luckily I didn't get sick, but I'm anxious everyday. I'm a big guy and I have a special needs daughter and I am terrified of getting myself or her sick. 

This sucks. I just want to move trains and make money, not risk my life.

My condolences, @beanz.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:02 PM, Jay-Oh said:

Didn't hear about the situation, maybe it was in the A division.

The way I see it - everybody deserves a chance. Of course, if I get offered a student, I'll want to visually size them up, see how they carry themselves and ask them some questions.
Students make mistakes, I made some when I was posting, it's a part of the learning process.
I recall my schoolcar TSS mentioning a notice or memo where the trainer wouldn't be punished when a student made a mistake, he was talking about it with a TO that said he was reluctant to take students for the same reasons you stated. I gotta look that document up.

The way I see it, if I can do it, anyone can - and they made it this far through schoolcar already, so they have to be at least semi-capable.
Also - students are protected by schoolcar, so if they mess up - it's not a cardinal sin like for the rest of us, so there's that safety net. I know a buddy in my induction group that hit maybe 3 or 4 homeballs from YX to posting, he's still down here and on the road.

If the student messes up (hits a signal, overrun), it is not on the trainer. Trust me on this one. Schoolcar is not always a safety net; depending on the number of infractions and what they are, the probie can get terminated. 

I know people aren't perfect. Just do your job to the best of your ability, and don't lie if something happens. Managers will come down harder on you if you lie; down here, the cover-up is worse than the crime.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:23 AM, MantheDan28 said:

I’m guessing signaling is really important I found this link: https://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Subway_Signals:_Home_Signals

DO NOT USE THAT SITE!

As for everyone else:

HAVE PATIENCE.

I was on the list from the 2009 test. I didn't get hired until 2012 because of the hiring freeze, and that's even with my list number being 56.

There is going to be (another) wave of mass retirements once The Plague settles down; it is starting to happen now.

Sit back and wait. It will come to you. Trust me (and @RTOMan will back me up on this one).

10 minutes ago, mediccjh said:

My condolences, @beanz.

If the student messes up (hits a signal, overrun), it is not on the trainer. Trust me on this one. Schoolcar is not always a safety net; depending on the number of infractions and what they are, the probie can get terminated. 

I know people aren't perfect. Just do your job to the best of your ability, and don't lie if something happens. Managers will come down harder on you if you lie; down here, the cover-up is worse than the crime.

DO NOT USE THAT SITE!

As for everyone else:

HAVE PATIENCE.

I was on the list from the 2009 test. I didn't get hired until 2012 because of the hiring freeze, and that's even with my list number being 56.

There is going to be (another) wave of mass retirements once The Plague settles down; it is starting to happen now.

Sit back and wait. It will come to you. Trust me (and @RTOMan will back me up on this one).

I know ya'll are short T/O's right now, what about C/R's?

I agree a lot of people are retiring already I talked to a conductor who works the 7 line and he says he's retiring because of covid19. A lot of people down here passed away and a schoolcar TSS at Pelham said that there are going to be more classes because a lot of people who are retiring and because of the people who sadly passed away over here.

2 hours ago, Schecter said:

I agree a lot of people are retiring already I talked to a conductor who works the 7 line and he says he's retiring because of covid19. A lot of people down here passed away and a schoolcar TSS at Pelham said that there are going to be more classes because a lot of people who are retiring and because of the people who sadly passed away over here.

Hell yeah let em come! Gotta build up my non existent senority and get a decent tour or rdo set-my current setup is breaking me down. And more classes will only help me in that goal!

9 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Hell yeah let em come! Gotta build up my non existent senority and get a decent tour or rdo set-my current setup is breaking me down. And more classes will only help me in that goal!

Yeah my brother or sister when I come into train operator I wonder how the crew office is going to give me that day off 🤔 

7 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Im not following? 

I'm on the list for train operator list number 131X I'm currently a conductor atm, so I'm wondering when it comes to the train operator pre employment and medical if the crew office will give the days off I will need to attend both pre-employment and medical etc etc, since I didn't take the promotional exam and took the open competitive exam for train operator. I hope that makes sense.

24 minutes ago, Schecter said:

I'm on the list for train operator list number 131X I'm currently a conductor atm, so I'm wondering when it comes to the train operator pre employment and medical if the crew office will give the days off I will need to attend both pre-employment and medical etc etc, since I didn't take the promotional exam and took the open competitive exam for train operator. I hope that makes sense.

Oh ok i think they should. It's still technically a promotion. Just call Livingston when they reopen to confirm.

2 hours ago, Schecter said:

They should. Most, if not all, conductors in the August induction came in via the open competitive exam.

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

They should. Most, if not all, conductors in the August induction came in via the open competitive exam.

Did any of them mention anything about the crew office or anything like that? Just want to know what to look out for.

10 hours ago, Schecter said:

Did any of them mention anything about the crew office or anything like that? Just want to know what to look out for.

I think Jericho is referring here to the likely possibility many of the o/c conductors are on the t/o open competitive list as well, like you, and will jump when the time is right. And that they will probably get the days off for pre-employment and the like.

If anything almost none them at this point would've been called for train op given there's been only about two t/o classes since August, and they were hella small. So i doubt any of them would know the answer for sure, Scheter.

10 hours ago, Schecter said:

My buddy told me schoolcar notified Crew Assignment that he was going through the motions of becoming a T/O.

9 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

I think Jericho is referring here to the likely possibility many of the o/c conductors are on the t/o open competitive list as well, like you, and will jump when the time is right. And that they will probably get the days off for pre-employment and the like.

If anything almost none them at this point would've been called for train op given there's been only about two t/o classes since August, and they were hella small. So i doubt any of them would know the answer for sure, Scheter.

There's been more classes than that. I was ta79 in july along with ta80. They are up to ta86. Ta84, 85 and 86 got stuck doing yx for 3 months because of covid. They just went out doing road ops or road posting now idk which.