ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, MTAHopeful813 said:

May I ask what you guys scored on the test? I am just curious to see if it was sent to a certain range of individuals who might’ve scored really well. I got 4 wrong out the 60, I’m guessing that’s a 93 and I didn’t receive a notice.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, Sr18 said:

I don't see the harm in it. However, the letter had a packet included that needed to be filled out. I'm not sure how this all works so it might make more sense to go sooner as they may be able to provide you with the paperwork so you would be all set if you were supposed to get the letter for this Friday. 

I got a letter the other day and think I only got a 95 on the test

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, MTAHopeful813 said:

May I ask what you guys scored on the test? I am just curious to see if it was sent to a certain range of individuals who might’ve scored really well. I got 4 wrong out the 60, I’m guessing that’s a 93 and I didn’t receive a notice.

I got a letter and got a 95 on the test

Hi guys and gals - sorry but these are curious questions not related to the EXAM.

But i was thinking how it could be fun and informative to ask here, because most people here are aspiring T/Os like me. 
Maybe we can share stories that we hear around, with each other? And also hopefully take our minds off from the Exam while we wait for the list!

1)  Are you guys worried that T/Os get lung problems working underground for decades?  I wonder why T/Os don't wear masks?
2)  What have you heard of the culture of the MTA / TOs?  Professional setting with the occasional jacka** or is it like highschool with all the alpha-ism and bullying?
3)  is the failure/turnover rate 50% or more in school car? It seems like that from what i've read in the forums.  Does this stress you out or does it motivate and excite you more?

Edited by trackerjack

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, thegameksk said:

I have a friend who works for MTA as a conductor. We took the TO test together.  He said they need alot of TO becsuse many retired and also moved up to management.

So is there no background check or medical before receiving the letter?

Medical comes first

2 hours ago, njbk said:

I got 100 on the test, but did not get any veteran’s credits. I’m surprised they are bringing in so many people, they must be doing more than one class before the list comes out. 

Nope only one class, the class after that is as soon as the list drops. 

They looking for 60 T/O for the May class 

4 minutes ago, Elfamoso2020 said:

Nope only one class, the class after that is as soon as the list drops. 

They looking for 60 T/O for the May class 

And the list is supposed to drop out officially sometime in July? 

52 minutes ago, njbk said:

Damn. I don’t know if i want to leave my current job that quickly (it will take them a while to replace me) but i don’t want to wait until possibly August. 

I'm in the same boat. Don't want to screw over my current employer but don't want to pass on the opportunity either.

27 minutes ago, BRod521 said:

I'm in the same boat. Don't want to screw over my current employer but don't want to pass on the opportunity either.

We’re not totally passing on the opportunity though, just waiting an extra month or two to get started. But I’m in same boat. 

For the person who asked about health issues regarding transit work, see the following link regarding ongoing studies on the links between health hazards and mass transit work.  http://nycosh.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/TWU_Report_Final-8-4-05.pdf

There are some train operators who wear respiratory masks while operating trains.  Earmuffs should be worn during work to minimize hearing loss.

1 hour ago, njbk said:

We’re not totally passing on the opportunity though, just waiting an extra month or two to get started. But I’m in same boat. 

You can delay it? I have an upcoming surgery on future and I'm worried about what will happen if they call when I'm recovering. 

2 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

You can delay it? I have an upcoming surgery on future and I'm worried about what will happen if they call when I'm recovering. 

I'm sure someone actually on the job here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you don't show up for pre-employment they will skip over your name. You can then re-activate your name by calling DCAS, at which point you'll be contacted for pre-employment again when the next class starts.

9 minutes ago, njbk said:

I'm sure someone actually on the job here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you don't show up for pre-employment they will skip over your name. You can then re-activate your name by calling DCAS, at which point you'll be contacted for pre-employment again when the next class starts.

I believe they said at orientation that as long as you speak with them, your name just goes back to the list in your list order. The only issue I see with that is that if the list gets established you may move up or down on the list based the final count. But since they said that your list number from your letter is probably like 99% accurate if you do move it shouldn't be more than a few places up or down the list.

So using that logic anyone with a notice who's list number is between 1 and 120 should be fine for getting into the next class if you can't start on 5/29 because each class is 60 people. So if 1-60 accept for 5/29 you are right there in the next batch for a possible July class of 60 people. Your odds are even ok if your list number was above 120 because a lot of people got weeded out for driving tickets and or not having documents they need. Tack on possible failures of the drug test and they could probably go up to the 150s or higher when it comes to either may or july class. 

I am just speculating but it makes sense to me. Again, i just worry about leaving my current employer in the lurch.

They won’t skip over you name.  Before I got into TA, I would ignore the letter and they would just send me another when the next class came.   You can always say you never received the letter.   If you answer back, then you might have to call back to get reinstated on the list.  

22 minutes ago, BlueHefna said:

They won’t skip over you name.  Before I got into TA, I would ignore the letter and they would just send me another when the next class came.   You can always say you never received the letter.   If you answer back, then you might have to call back to get reinstated on the list.  

Wow. I thought they would just skip you and thats it if you didnt respond.

35 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

Wow. I thought they would just skip you and thats it if you didnt respond.

I mean if you do send in the letter, just call up when you can and they will reinstate you.  Some people feel more comfortable doing it that way.  

5 hours ago, njbk said:

When you get the letter of pre-employment in the bottom there is a section that says you can reject this appointment and mail it back to them. Failure to answer the letter will result in your name being taken off the list. 

2 minutes ago, Elfamoso2020 said:

When you get the letter of pre-employment in the bottom there is a section that says you can reject this appointment and mail it back to them. Failure to answer the letter will result in your name being taken off the list. 

So if you reject it you are still kept on the list and moved to the next class?

I have a few questions:

• If I attend pre-employment and the time comes for me to get employed, is it possible to defer to attend a different class in the future?
  • On the pre-employment letter, it states that a CDL is required for TO position. I do not recall this being true. Can anyone confirm this?
  • Can anyone also comment on the level of difficultly in regards to school car for this position? It's a little nerve wracking knowing that taking this responsibility can leave you jobless.