ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Embalmman said:

I believe we have to go to Livingston, they have a specific form that must be filled out. I need to do this too. Must change mailing address 

ExamsUnit@nyct.com

Email them I did it last year in the subject I put the exam number and told them I moved give them your full name and the exam number you took, they should email you back and ask you provide your last 4 digits of your social. Email them now while they're opened.

1 minute ago, STtoMTA said:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/pdf/CorrectionForm.pdf

email this form filled out to the email these guys stated above

There ya go yeah I was already an employee when I changed it before, but they're super polite when you email them. I did it through the BSC but the lady already found my information before I even could send her my last 4 lol

48 minutes ago, Schecter said:

There ya go yeah I was already an employee when I changed it before, but they're super polite when you email them. I did it through the BSC but the lady already found my information before I even could send her my last 4 lol

Many thanks as always....also... anything one can study while they are waiting to be called?

15 minutes ago, kev2112 said:

Many thanks as always....also... anything one can study while they are waiting to be called?

The signals and miscellaneous signals that you need a 100 on and on flagging I have the rulebook from conductor the TSS said while I wait to be called the read chapter 2 and chapter 3. 

I guess you can try using this 

https://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Subway_Signals:_Approach,_Automatic,_and_Marker_Signals

On the bottom you can click different hyperlinks to bring you to other parts of the guide.

25 minutes ago, Schecter said:

The signals and miscellaneous signals that you need a 100 on and on flagging I have the rulebook from conductor the TSS said while I wait to be called the read chapter 2 and chapter 3. 

I guess you can try using this 

https://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Subway_Signals:_Approach,_Automatic,_and_Marker_Signals

On the bottom you can click different hyperlinks to bring you to other parts of the guide.

Appreciate it...any place I can pick up the rule book? 😁

2 hours ago, kev2112 said:

Appreciate it...any place I can pick up the rule book? 😁

Just know some of those signals are not rule accurate especially the circle K one which you need permission from RCC if encountered on the road I believe the only exception is in the yard. The definition the website gives would land you in trouble for the circle K. The AK signal is an authorized key by which you could key by without permission from RCC you need to stop at the IJ and bridge it with your first set of train wheels and make sure the stop arm goes down and stays down and then proceed with restricted speed and extreme caution expecting to find an obstruction on the block, a broken rail or find the track occupied. The definition the website gives for the AK isn't correct.

Just a friendly piece of advice to all you guys starting up soon.

When I was road posting this time last year, I had a trainer tell me about the importance of focus. He told me a story about fighting with his girlfriend on his way to work. She dropped him off at flatbush right before his first trip and said to him "that's why I f**ked your best friend!".

This was back in the day so no cellphone, no way to confirm with his friend or nothing like that. He had to get on his train and go and handle it after work. He could not get he words out of his mind however, and on his first trip, before even getting to franklin ave, he hit a signal.

He told me the story and I laughed and forgot about it at the time. Went out on the road on my own February of last year. Everything was gravy, no issues all of February. Then March hit and corona came through and made an impact on my family. Lots of people got sick and even lost my great grandma and a few others.

Me being overweight, I was also super anxious and worried about catching it myself. You have to remember that MTA workers were dropping left and right at the start of this. I believe the number was 135+. So needless to say my wife was worried for me and I was worried as well.

My daughter also got diagnosed with autism earlier last year which was also tough, but she is doing better now with her therapies even though remote learning is difficult for her.

So I went to work with all this shit in my head and in April, after taking time off to self quarantine, I had my first incident. Small overrun in the rain, no biggie, but my conductor was a stickler and even though we were barely off the board and there was no one in the first car on a rainy Sunday evening, he made me call it in. So I did, it was my first, no biggie. Wrote a g2 and didn't even get taken out of service.

A week later my grandmother had a heart attack. A week after that it was mother's day and right before my last trip back up to Van Cortland we video chatted for mother's day and I saw my mom, aunts and grandma for the first time since Christmas. 

Well on that last trip to VC, 6 stops from signing out, I had a massive brain fart and took a few cars out of the station on an overrun. Turns out I didn't knock power all the way off and even though I took a full service at stockman, the train was still in full power(can't downshift but u will learn about that later). 

Out of service and retrained and embarrassed at my shitty incident.

They happened because I did not take heed to my trainers advice which was keep a clear mind. Never ever bring your personal life to work with you. You have to be 100 percent focused at all times. You can't daydream and think about bills or girlfriends or family or your kids while operating.

Operating a train offers a unique challenge. It isn't difficult once you get used to it. You start to feel yourself and get cocky. You start to think to yourself 'i got this' and get confident.

That is where the doom is waiting for you! U have to stay just as scared as u were day one because the moment u get confident, that's when the challenge kicks in. Staying focused.

Because u become so adept at operating and confident in your operation, it starts to become muscle memory after a while. It's monotonous so this is unavoidable. So your brain, seeing that it's barely being used, it takes a break. "Ok, looks like u got this under control without me. I'm gonna go think about all your problems now. Lemme know if u need me".

Now u in the danger zone.

When I came back after my second incident, I was good for almost 3 months. Summer was here, covid numbers were down, I was making money, my family had mostly recovered, I didn't get sick, my daughter was thriving with her therapists.

Life was good.

I was 3 weeks from finishing probation and said to my wife "let's go buy an apartment and move out". We found a place we loved, made an offer, didn't sign our lease at our apartment because we were moving, and gave a 25k deposit on a co-op apartment in Riverdale, just north of Van Cortland terminal. So close I could walk on a nice day, or take the 9 bus for 3 stops. 

Then, the one incident I will always regret happened. I was on the 3 out of lenox. Dispatcher told me to deadhead to new lots and pick up my train over there so my conductor and I head down. It's pouring raining that day but I got a 2 tripper that was just cut down to 1.5 trips so I'm happy.

Get to new lots and my train back north comes out the yard. I get on, do my tests, and we are off.

First station, Van Siclen. Brakes felt longgg. That means they don't react as soon as u are used to them reacting. I stop on the market but it was scary for a second there. Still, I'm a professional now, so I adjust. 

I know my brakes are long so I just brake a lot sooner. I am fine all the way uptown, even put the punch box at 135 perfectly on my window. No issues. 

Coming into the terminal though, my adjustment didn't matter. I adjusted for high speeds, but in the terminal u gotta clear timers and keep your speed at around 5 mph. I take a tiny brake well before the stop marker but I feel the train stop way short, so I release all the brake and let the train keep coasting. I pull the brake again and nothing.

Nothing...

Full service(full brake) and the train, very slowly, not even at 1mph I would say, glides right into the stop arm at the end of the terminal. It didn't hit it hard at all, but just barely kissed the stop arm just enough that the train could not charge at the other end and I had to report it.

Gets charged as a collision because in essence that's what it is.( These terms will make sense to u as you go on in Schoolcar so come back to this post later for the technicals.)

Nobody believed that the train had long brakes because I didn't call it in. No investigation on the train nothing, but I swear on everything I hold dear that the train just didn't stop. I definitely did what I should and it just didn't stop. My error was not calling in the train for having long brakes, but as I said, I adjusted and made it to the end just fine.

So at that point I get extended with a final warning. If you are an anxious person who over thinks like me, you do not want to be at final warning.

Needless to say I screwed up once more, a station overrun again. From the moment I went back out on my final warning until my final incident, I was operating scared and nervous. At that point, I was facing homelessness because I had the deposit in escrow and we hadn't closed on the apartment yet, my old apartment lease was about to expire, and I knew I could lose my job at any second. 

I had just booked a vacation and that night of my final mistake was the day before my short much needed vacation. I almost made it lol. That night I was particularly anxious over some news I got about my mother's health that turned out to be nothing. To give u an idea of how nervous I had been, I was a social drinker up to that point and during that time I made sure to have jameson's at home waiting for me every night after work to unwind.

So I am no longer a train operator. I was told I could get back on the list and start over again which I am in the process of trying to do, but it's been a bunch of hoops so far. So I'm still not on the list.

I wrote a lot of words because before I started I came here a lot for information, and this forum helped me out tremendously in knowing what to expect. I am returning that favor by giving you guys information that you may find invaluable. 

In short, focus and keep your private life and issues at home. 2020 was the most mentally challenging year of my life and it also happened to be probationary year of the best job I ever had, and I failed the challenge miserably.

All of my issues are not excuses, I am not the only person with problems. I should have risen to the challenge and done better. You don't want to be where I am, so that's why I felt like sharing.

Good luck to all of you and maybe I will be back someday and see ya down the road. 

6 minutes ago, beanz said:

Just a friendly piece of advice to all you guys starting up soon.

When I was road posting this time last year, I had a trainer tell me about the importance of focus. He told me a story about fighting with his girlfriend on his way to work. She dropped him off at flatbush right before his first trip and said to him "that's why I f**ked your best friend!".

This was back in the day so no cellphone, no way to confirm with his friend or nothing like that. He had to get on his train and go and handle it after work. He could not get he words out of his mind however, and on his first trip, before even getting to franklin ave, he hit a signal.

He told me the story and I laughed and forgot about it at the time. Went out on the road on my own February of last year. Everything was gravy, no issues all of February. Then March hit and corona came through and made an impact on my family. Lots of people got sick and even lost my great grandma and a few others.

Me being overweight, I was also super anxious and worried about catching it myself. You have to remember that MTA workers were dropping left and right at the start of this. I believe the number was 135+. So needless to say my wife was worried for me and I was worried as well.

My daughter also got diagnosed with autism earlier last year which was also tough, but she is doing better now with her therapies even though remote learning is difficult for her.

So I went to work with all this shit in my head and in April, after taking time off to self quarantine, I had my first incident. Small overrun in the rain, no biggie, but my conductor was a stickler and even though we were barely off the board and there was no one in the first car on a rainy Sunday evening, he made me call it in. So I did, it was my first, no biggie. Wrote a g2 and didn't even get taken out of service.

A week later my grandmother had a heart attack. A week after that it was mother's day and right before my last trip back up to Van Cortland we video chatted for mother's day and I saw my mom, aunts and grandma for the first time since Christmas. 

Well on that last trip to VC, 6 stops from signing out, I had a massive brain fart and took a few cars out of the station on an overrun. Turns out I didn't knock power all the way off and even though I took a full service at stockman, the train was still in full power(can't downshift but u will learn about that later). 

Out of service and retrained and embarrassed at my shitty incident.

They happened because I did not take heed to my trainers advice which was keep a clear mind. Never ever bring your personal life to work with you. You have to be 100 percent focused at all times. You can't daydream and think about bills or girlfriends or family or your kids while operating.

Operating a train offers a unique challenge. It isn't difficult once you get used to it. You start to feel yourself and get cocky. You start to think to yourself 'i got this' and get confident.

That is where the doom is waiting for you! U have to stay just as scared as u were day one because the moment u get confident, that's when the challenge kicks in. Staying focused.

Because u become so adept at operating and confident in your operation, it starts to become muscle memory after a while. It's monotonous so this is unavoidable. So your brain, seeing that it's barely being used, it takes a break. "Ok, looks like u got this under control without me. I'm gonna go think about all your problems now. Lemme know if u need me".

Now u in the danger zone.

When I came back after my second incident, I was good for almost 3 months. Summer was here, covid numbers were down, I was making money, my family had mostly recovered, I didn't get sick, my daughter was thriving with her therapists.

Life was good.

I was 3 weeks from finishing probation and said to my wife "let's go buy an apartment and move out". We found a place we loved, made an offer, didn't sign our lease at our apartment because we were moving, and gave a 25k deposit on a co-op apartment in Riverdale, just north of Van Cortland terminal. So close I could walk on a nice day, or take the 9 bus for 3 stops. 

Then, the one incident I will always regret happened. I was on the 3 out of lenox. Dispatcher told me to deadhead to new lots and pick up my train over there so my conductor and I head down. It's pouring raining that day but I got a 2 tripper that was just cut down to 1.5 trips so I'm happy.

Get to new lots and my train back north comes out the yard. I get on, do my tests, and we are off.

First station, Van Siclen. Brakes felt longgg. That means they don't react as soon as u are used to them reacting. I stop on the market but it was scary for a second there. Still, I'm a professional now, so I adjust. 

I know my brakes are long so I just brake a lot sooner. I am fine all the way uptown, even put the punch box at 135 perfectly on my window. No issues. 

Coming into the terminal though, my adjustment didn't matter. I adjusted for high speeds, but in the terminal u gotta clear timers and keep your speed at around 5 mph. I take a tiny brake well before the stop marker but I feel the train stop way short, so I release all the brake and let the train keep coasting. I pull the brake again and nothing.

Nothing...

Full service(full brake) and the train, very slowly, not even at 1mph I would say, glides right into the stop arm at the end of the terminal. It didn't hit it hard at all, but just barely kissed the stop arm just enough that the train could not charge at the other end and I had to report it.

Gets charged as a collision because in essence that's what it is.( These terms will make sense to u as you go on in Schoolcar so come back to this post later for the technicals.)

Nobody believed that the train had long brakes because I didn't call it in. No investigation on the train nothing, but I swear on everything I hold dear that the train just didn't stop. I definitely did what I should and it just didn't stop. My error was not calling in the train for having long brakes, but as I said, I adjusted and made it to the end just fine.

So at that point I get extended with a final warning. If you are an anxious person who over thinks like me, you do not want to be at final warning.

Needless to say I screwed up once more, a station overrun again. From the moment I went back out on my final warning until my final incident, I was operating scared and nervous. At that point, I was facing homelessness because I had the deposit in escrow and we hadn't closed on the apartment yet, my old apartment lease was about to expire, and I knew I could lose my job at any second. 

I had just booked a vacation and that night of my final mistake was the day before my short much needed vacation. I almost made it lol. That night I was particularly anxious over some news I got about my mother's health that turned out to be nothing. To give u an idea of how nervous I had been, I was a social drinker up to that point and during that time I made sure to have jameson's at home waiting for me every night after work to unwind.

So I am no longer a train operator. I was told I could get back on the list and start over again which I am in the process of trying to do, but it's been a bunch of hoops so far. So I'm still not on the list.

I wrote a lot of words because before I started I came here a lot for information, and this forum helped me out tremendously in knowing what to expect. I am returning that favor by giving you guys information that you may find invaluable. 

In short, focus and keep your private life and issues at home. 2020 was the most mentally challenging year of my life and it also happened to be probationary year of the best job I ever had, and I failed the challenge miserably.

All of my issues are not excuses, I am not the only person with problems. I should have risen to the challenge and done better. You don't want to be where I am, so that's why I felt like sharing.

Good luck to all of you and maybe I will be back someday and see ya down the road. 

This is a perfect day in the life.  I pray that you get your handles back, and I’m sorry for any losses you’ve incurred.  Thank you for sharing this with all of us.  I’m utterly speechless

11 minutes ago, STtoMTA said:

This is a perfect day in the life.  I pray that you get your handles back, and I’m sorry for any losses you’ve incurred.  Thank you for sharing this with all of us.  I’m utterly speechless

Thank you. Fortunately even though a whole lot of people got sick we didn't lost as much as other families so I'm grateful, but at the time it was such a mindf**k to go through.

9 hours ago, Schecter said:

Just know some of those signals are not rule accurate especially the circle K one which you need permission from RCC if encountered on the road I believe the only exception is in the yard. The definition the website gives would land you in trouble for the circle K. The AK signal is an authorized key by which you could key by without permission from RCC you need to stop at the IJ and bridge it with your first set of train wheels and make sure the stop arm goes down and stays down and then proceed with restricted speed and extreme caution expecting to find an obstruction on the block, a broken rail or find the track occupied. The definition the website gives for the AK isn't correct.

In the B div you will encounter virtually almost no red circle k's on the road save for the relays at 179st lower level. Those dont need permission

Dont know abt the a.