Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

T/O #7604 Hiring Process


ren
Message added by SevenEleven

TRAIN OPERATOR #7604

List Status Update: 5/19/2021

Pay: Starts at $34 and increases to $36 after 231 days on the road following the completion of schoolcar.

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial P/E: (1400s); For Medical: (low 1400s)

Classes Scheduled: Unknown

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TrainBrain said:

gotcha, thanks!  Been going thru the forum starting 2 weeks ago since page 1.  you posted a lot of good info, thanks for everything you shared! (and congrats on getting the job).

just curious, after you reinstated, do you remember how long was it from the time you called/emailed DCAS to the time you got called for another P/E and then medical to go for the next T/O class?  I know hiring is based on the needs of the MTA, but it would be helpful to know.

Reason: Exam List 7604 is scheduled to expire Sept 19, 2022 (4 yrs from when it was established), unless they extend it.  I know they hire by quarters.  I'm just trying to hold off reinstating as long as possible, but not cutting it too close to the list expiration date just in case they don't extend it.   

It took a while for me but my case was different and also there were no classes scheduled until February, so i was out for 5 months. But i don't see why it would take more than a couple of weeks under normal circumstances.

 

As far as when the list expires, it would not shock me at all if they extended it. They pretty much had to freeze hiring for a year because of Covid so an extension would not be out of the realm of possibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, beanz said:

It took a while for me but my case was different and also there were no classes scheduled until February, so i was out for 5 months. But i don't see why it would take more than a couple of weeks under normal circumstances.

 

As far as when the list expires, it would not shock me at all if they extended it. They pretty much had to freeze hiring for a year because of Covid so an extension would not be out of the realm of possibility.

Yeah, that's what I figured.  With social distancing, I doubt the few schoolcar classes they did have had the typical number of students.  smaller classes means more vacancies have yet to be filled, at least I assume, so that list will be good for longer.  maybe i'm assuming too much, but I do know this: with the reduced revenue from reduced ridership (thank you COVID), I doubt the MTA or DCAS will want to pay all the labor and administrative costs associated with having a new T/O test and creating a new list.  It's cheaper to extend a list than to create a brand new one, even if it's only a 6-12 mo extension.

 

Thanks for the input Beanz.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2021 at 8:22 AM, TrainBrain said:

Yeah, that's what I figured.  With social distancing, I doubt the few schoolcar classes they did have had the typical number of students.  smaller classes means more vacancies have yet to be filled, at least I assume, so that list will be good for longer.  maybe i'm assuming too much, but I do know this: with the reduced revenue from reduced ridership (thank you COVID), I doubt the MTA or DCAS will want to pay all the labor and administrative costs associated with having a new T/O test and creating a new list.  It's cheaper to extend a list than to create a brand new one, even if it's only a 6-12 mo extension.

 

Thanks for the input Beanz.

This sounds pretty accurate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, ix360xi said:

How far down you guys think they'll reach on the list number before it expires? 

great question. short answer: who knows.  me, personally, I think there's too many variables to consider...like:

1. how far down did they make it on the last list;

2. how many T/O vacancies are there to fill post pandemic;

3. list extension vs. expiration: will the list be extended? and if they extend it...for how long. 6 months? 1 yr? 3 yrs?

 

too many unknowns for me.  But...if it helps...the last Train Operator exam was 8098.  That exam was in June 2009, but the list wasn't officially established until 9/19/12 (though I'm sure they were hiring off the list well before then). Like all lists, it was due to expire in 4 years from the date it was established...but the list got extended to 9/19/17.  I don't know what was the last list number they got to, but the forum for that exam (link below) offers a clue.  Someone there got into schoolcar around August 2016, and they were list number 69xx.  So...the MTA probably got around to at least list number 69xx for the last T/O exam, maybe even to 71xx by the time the list expired.   

will the same thing happen again?? idk.  who knows.  but if history repeats itself...one can hope.

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2021 at 5:11 PM, TrainBrain said:

  

Hey fg8297, I just got the email for medical, to go in on 5/19/21.  Vargas said they have a class on 5/31/21.  I gotta defer, and won't be reinstating my name on the list til 2022.  I asked Ms. Vargas to speak to someone about deferring, she was nice enough to give me a call and let me know a few things about deferring, but I haven't heard back from her on a few things (I know she's super busy so I understand).  2 questions for you, if you can please enlighten me: 

1.  What do I have to do to "officially" defer?  I emailed her, but Idk if that's all I gotta do.  I don't want to outright decline, just looking to defer til 2022.

2. How do I get my name reinstated on the list in 2022?  Like...do I email Ms. Vargas? DCAS? both?  and if DCAS...how did you contact them? email, or in person?  And if email, what email address, and what exactly do I say?

to be clear, Ms. Vargas was tremendously helpful.  I just would like to hear from your personal experience since you actually deferred multiple times and still got hired.  it would be really helpful to know how exactly you did it. 

p.s. Hope my deferring helps one of you guys out lol.  1 more spot open for those ready to commit to the job.

If I remember, when I was called if I didnt want to accept, they was a way to defer. I dont remember how but i think I was able to defer by phone or online. Your allowed 2 or 3 deferments. I was taken off the list to be called and to get back on I had to go to the DCAS office. That was easy. I had to write a 2 sentence letter there to request to be put back on the list. I was called right away. The DCAS office is behind City Hall at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TrainBrain said:

great question. short answer: who knows.  me, personally, I think there's too many variables to consider...like:

1. how far down did they make it on the last list;

2. how many T/O vacancies are there to fill post pandemic;

3. list extension vs. expiration: will the list be extended? and if they extend it...for how long. 6 months? 1 yr? 3 yrs?

 

too many unknowns for me.  But...if it helps...the last Train Operator exam was 8098.  That exam was in June 2009, but the list wasn't officially established until 9/19/12 (though I'm sure they were hiring off the list well before then). Like all lists, it was due to expire in 4 years from the date it was established...but the list got extended to 9/19/17.  I don't know what was the last list number they got to, but the forum for that exam (link below) offers a clue.  Someone there got into schoolcar around August 2016, and they were list number 69xx.  So...the MTA probably got around to at least list number 69xx for the last T/O exam, maybe even to 71xx by the time the list expired.   

will the same thing happen again?? idk.  who knows.  but if history repeats itself...one can hope.

I took the Train Operator test in 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2021 at 12:01 PM, STtoMTA said:

I’m a BO now, always like midnights or ams. .....so XXL gets a lot of A ?

 

On 5/19/2021 at 9:23 AM, STtoMTA said:

What about far rock

Not sure abt the latter tbh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everyone 

So I’m wondering if T/Os wear boots in the warmer months or if they wear the low cut type of shoe which is on the safgard website. What about in schoolcar? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2021 at 9:08 PM, fg8297 said:

If I remember, when I was called if I didnt want to accept, they was a way to defer. I dont remember how but i think I was able to defer by phone or online. Your allowed 2 or 3 deferments. I was taken off the list to be called and to get back on I had to go to the DCAS office. That was easy. I had to write a 2 sentence letter there to request to be put back on the list. I was called right away. The DCAS office is behind City Hall at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge

this is gold, thank you!

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2021 at 5:08 PM, NycTO said:

Hi everyone 

So I’m wondering if T/Os wear boots in the warmer months or if they wear the low cut type of shoe which is on the safgard website. What about in schoolcar? 

As long as the Shoe is TA approved, you can wear anything THATS TA APPROVED

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2021 at 9:18 PM, STtoMTA said:

That’s great , so this is for @beanz, @RTOMan, and whoever else has experience....would you say that the B division most senior line is the M ? , A division most desirable is like an am 2 job that’s a 2 tripper? I have a little inside knowledge and view of the workbook so I know the terminology .

 

also, what are YOUR opinions of people most desirable shift....like do a lot of people want midnights and pms etc

Me being a A division guy i love early AMs. i report at 4am and im done by 12-1pm sometimes 2pm. I always pick extra so i see senior guys all over the place. i can't really pin point what line they are mostly on. I'd say maybe the (3) and Work trains as well!

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2021 at 11:17 AM, FilippoSironi said:

From what email address does the Canvas letter (email) come from. I want to make sure I don't miss it one day when I hopefully get it...

Sir what’s your list #

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations to all those coming in.

I do want to recommend getting earmuffs to protect your hearing. A bulletin came out earlier this year about hearing conservation so see if schoolcar will issue you one otherwise don't hesitate to get one on your own. I do not recommend wearing ear plugs as they do not dampen sound well enough to matter. Particularly, the R46 and 68's brake release and emergency brakes are pretty damn loud and can definitely affect your hearing negatively.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Congratulations to all those coming in.

I do want to recommend getting earmuffs to protect your hearing. A bulletin came out earlier this year about hearing conservation so see if schoolcar will issue you one otherwise don't hesitate to get one on your own. I do not recommend wearing ear plugs as they do not dampen sound well enough to matter. Particularly, the R46 and 68's brake release and emergency brakes are pretty damn loud and can definitely affect your hearing negatively.

What type of earmuffs would you recommend can't seem to come to a final decision on what to buy atm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Schecter said:

What type of earmuffs would you recommend can't seem to come to a final decision on what to buy atm

Well, it's gotta be passive. No bluetooth/active noise cancellation features.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

Well, it's gotta be passive. No bluetooth/active noise cancellation features.

Well yeah I know lol I meant like any specific brand that I could buy off of Amazon?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, I Run Trains said:

Me being a A division guy i love early AMs. i report at 4am and im done by 12-1pm sometimes 2pm. I always pick extra so i see senior guys all over the place. i can't really pin point what line they are mostly on. I'd say maybe the (3) and Work trains as well!

Love am's as well. Some constantly say that you can do all these things (i.e. appointments, laundry, and the like) in the morning before going to work when you have pm's. 

But honestly, if you end work between 1 and 3 pm, I do not see why you cannot do those things in the afternoon as well. All those things do not magically close at 4 pm all of a sudden.

And with summer imminent, I would rather have the whole afternoons off to enjoy, instead of the morning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to give you guys an idea on the job so far, I started in the summer of 2018 ( list number 3xx) Been in the A division since I start, and after almost 3 years I was finally able to pick. Me personally, I didn’t mind being XX. You make money from being on board, especially at being at the top of the XX list. People are retiring but not fast enough. One of the benefits of having a picked job now is that I will barely have to deal with screw office now. Good luck to all the future new hires.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.