ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This forum is so informative but it scares the crap out of me too lol anyone knows what happens if u don’t pass the sleep study? Do they give u another chance or are u just out? I’d hate for any of use to miss the opportunity we’ve been waiting years for over BMI 

2 minutes ago, N930 said:

This forum is so informative but it scares the crap out of me too lol anyone knows what happens if u don’t pass the sleep study? Do they give u another chance or are u just out? I’d hate for any of use to miss the opportunity we’ve been waiting years for over BMI 

If you are found to have apnea then u have to sleep with a CPAP machine for 30 days consecutively i believe it is and submit that report. You'll also be coming into the Mac to show your reports more often, but it won't stop u from being hired.

5 minutes ago, beanz said:

If you are found to have apnea then u have to sleep with a CPAP machine for 30 days consecutively i believe it is and submit that report. You'll also be coming into the Mac to show your reports more often, but it won't stop u from being hired.

So they’ll still hire you that’s great to know.

Just now, N930 said:

So they’ll still hire you that’s great to know.

Yea there are plenty of TOs with sleep apnea who have to make sure they sleep with the machine and submit the reports. I knew one personally and he actually said MTA saved him by making him wear that thing. He says he never slept better than he did when he got used to it.

11 minutes ago, beanz said:

They want at least 30 days worth of data to see if you're in compliance and you have to keep using it. I'm not sure if they'll care if it's consecutive as I know someone who said he'll skip a day here and there, but presumably for those of you who want to get hired, you want it done ASAP.

16 hours ago, kev2112 said:

MTA doctor told me…”note from doctor or advance test is not valid”  I would suggest making an appointment in advance but don’t waste your time getting the test

This doesn't make sense. Say u already know u have sleep apnea or suspected u did before even getting a letter to come in, why would the Mta doctors make u do it again? I'm not saying i don't believe u I'm just saying that's not right. I can already know i have apnea, get the machine and sleep with it and have those reports on my own before even getting a hiring letter to come in. On what grounds could the Mta doctors reject that? I hope that's not actual policy cause that's silly.

Hey guys what do you all think about this stupid vaccine being mandated to all transit workers??  I myself don't trust it at all but I really want this job.  I just don't think it's right making us take something that's still considered a trial vaccine and still being able to catch covid....

2 minutes ago, AngelQ said:

Hey guys what do you all think about this stupid vaccine being mandated to all transit workers??  I myself don't trust it at all but I really want this job.  I just don't think it's right making us take something that's still considered a trial vaccine and still being able to catch covid....

You need to be vaccinated OR get tested every week.

Just now, AngelQ said:

I feel like that's for now because if that's really the case and hopefully it stays that way I'll just get tested every damn week than take that poison

At the risk of starting a vaccine debate, which is not what I want, i will say this.

Plenty of people down here have taken the vaccine and nobody has died or become a zombie or a 5g tower. Also, no truth to the infertility rumor because i know people who are pregnant after being vaccinated. 

But i was here when 160+ coworkers died. I lost family. I was worried about getting sick myself. People i know almost died and lived to tell how horribly sick they were.

I've heard no such stories about the vaccine. 

People down here complained about not being protected when the virus was raging at the beginning and now that transit and the state government are mandating testing OR vaccines to protect ourselves, everybody is fighting the protection. We work in one of the filthiest work environments u can think of and we are at higher risk than most to get sick at work. Most of our crew rooms do now allow for social distancing. I was vaccinated and wear a mask in the crew rooms for the same reason i wear a seatbelt even though my car has airbags, just in case. 

But u are not obligated to be vaccinated, just be tested and all is well.

2 hours ago, kev2112 said:

My neck was 16.5 and my ekg was “excellent”  I’m on hold and have to get a sleep study 

There is a lot of misinformation on this forum regarding the medical exam. In an earlier post I think you said you had high blood pressure controlled by medication. If that is correct then the reason you were placed on hold is a BMI over 35 and hypertension.

- If you have a BMI over 35 and a neck size over 17 you have to do the sleep study.

- If you have a BMI over 35 and hypertension you have to do the sleep study as well.

There are people who passed the medical with high BMI's. There are people who passed with big necks. It seems to be the combination of conditions (BMI, hypertension, diabetes, neck size) that sets off red flags.

In simple medical language there is a connection between hypertension and sleep apnea. That's why the two conditions will cause them to make you take a sleep study. This is all justified because if you crash a train with sleep apnea there will be a lot of lawsuits.

Edited by Harlem

7 hours ago, AngelQ said:

I feel like that's for now because if that's really the case and hopefully it stays that way I'll just get tested every damn week than take that poison

Let's not start that debate in this forum people are entitled to their own opinion I got my vaccine and I'm fine and breathing, we're entitled to our own opinion but this forum isn't a place for facts vs non facts, this forum is to help our brothers and sisters out with the process. This forum isn't for political arguments or a place to call a vaccine poison based on your own opinion. Not starting an argument but let's show respect for our co workers and future co workers no negative vibes here please. With all that said happy vibes and happy affirmations only please thank you :)

10 hours ago, beanz said:

This doesn't make sense. Say u already know u have sleep apnea or suspected u did before even getting a letter to come in, why would the Mta doctors make u do it again? I'm not saying i don't believe u I'm just saying that's not right. I can already know i have apnea, get the machine and sleep with it and have those reports on my own before even getting a hiring letter to come in. On what grounds could the Mta doctors reject that? I hope that's not actual policy cause that's silly.

Yea, this seems weird. I myself had the sleep study done in advanced and the MTA doctor put me on medical hold until I could bring the results in. Took my doctor another week for the results to come in and thankfully it was just mild sleep apnea (below 16), and I was sworn in.

As for concerns with the Covid vaccine, I have been fully vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine since February and insofar it was similar to the regular flu shot. Only side effect I really had was a sore arm for a couple days after both shots. I myself was skeptical of even the regular flu shot a few years ago, but for the first time in years, I haven't been severely sick since.

It's been reported that people who are vaccinated and have become infected with Covid-19 have fared better than those who are still unvaccinated. Plus, the more people who are vaccinated means less room for the virus to spread rampantly and mutate into different variants that may become more dangerous. Please protect yourself, your family, your friends, and of course, your future coworkers.

The Moderna vaccine is actually pretty ingenious. It basically carries the same receptor Covid-19 uses to attach to your cells and gets your immune system to react to it and build antibodies to fight it off. This is a change from previous types of vaccines that would use a dead version of the virus for the immune system to react and fight.

6 hours ago, Jericho said:

"Yea, this seems weird. I myself had the sleep study done in advanced and the MTA doctor put me on medical hold until I could bring the results in. Took my doctor another week for the results to come in and thankfully it was just mild sleep apnea (below 16), and I was sworn in."

That's what I'm saying, there is a lot of conflicting messaging in here about certain things. I went to get a sleep test done because I knew I had a high BMI and a bigger than 17 inch neck size. Then I see a post that says that doctors aren't accepting that. It's frustrating because I paid money to get this test done and I only have very mild sleep apnea which means I don't need a CPAP machine. I got my results and everything in time for medical tomorrow. I need to know. Will that be accepted or no?

Edited by JoeBro0993

2 minutes ago, JoeBro0993 said:

That's what I'm saying, there is a lot of conflicting messaging in here about certain things. I went to get a sleep test done because I knew I had a high BMI and a bigger than 17 inch neck size. Then I see a post that says that doctors aren't accepting that. It's frustrating because I paid money to get this test done and I only have very mild sleep apnea which means I don't need a CPAP machine. I got my results and everything in time for medical tomorrow. I need to know. Will that be accepted or no?

Bring it in and show it. I don't think they will make u do it again, but if they do, just have your doctor give u the same clearance letter again with a later date. I don't see how they can prove u didn't do it again. Not like u got apnea in the couple of weeks between that.

8 minutes ago, beanz said:

Bring it in and show it. I don't think they will make u do it again, but if they do, just have your doctor give u the same clearance letter again with a later date. I don't see how they can prove u didn't do it again. Not like u got apnea in the couple of weeks between that.

I honestly don't think they will make me do it again. Plus they should be happy that people are being efficient with time and getting things done on their end to get the job sooner.

Also another thing, Jesus Christ on a cross... the paperwork for medical day is insane. I was literally filling out documents last night for hours trying to make everything perfect. I filled everything to the best of my knowledge. I know that the dates for my previous employment are not perfect but around the time I started and Resigned... I hope that doesn't become a problem. 

Edited by JoeBro0993

1 minute ago, JoeBro0993 said:

I honestly don't think they will make me do it again. Plus they should be happy that people are being efficient with time and getting things done on their end to get the job sooner.

Look usually all you have to do is get a doctor to put a letter out to you dated saying that your condition does not affect the ability for you to perform the necessary functions of the job of train operator .  EVERYONE is freaking out over this.  It is what it is.  Go to the medical, if you have to take it you have to take it.  It’s just part of the job.  There’s more than one doc there and it’s at their discretion.  We aren’t human computers that have to follow exact computations.  

38 minutes ago, JoeBro0993 said:

May I get the info on where you went? I currently don’t have insurance and i just want to get it over with..that’s if they accept it in advance.

My advice for any new hires that want to do the apnea test before your hired

make sure you you bring a copy of the apnea test with you to medical & at least 30 days of the machine usage if you have it, and have the doctor write you a note saying you can drive in passenger service safely