ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

11 minutes ago, BrooklynN said:

They assign you a division or you can choose? Also can you switch division? or would stay for the whole career? 

Depends on what they need. If they let you choose, it will go by your seniority. You are allowed to switch divisions including going to the C division aka work trains/refuse/etc after two years. Transferring divisions or anything that requires training for that matter will require returning to schoolcar.

Myself personally, I was one of the last few to allow to pick the B before everybody else got thrown into the A division.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Jericho said:

Depends on what they need. If they let you choose, it will go by your seniority. You are allowed to switch divisions including going to the C division aka work trains/refuse/etc after two years. Transferring divisions or anything that requires training for that matter will require returning to schoolcar.

Myself personally, I was one of the last few to allow to pick the B before everybody else got thrown into the A division.

Yea they gave me A Divison , but i wouldve preferred that anyways because i live in the city and grew up in the Bronx all my life , easier travel

10 hours ago, Jericho said:

whoooa.  C division?  is that fun?  it sounds pretty cool.  anyone who works in C would care to say the Pros/Cons for that division? 

8 hours ago, trackerjack said:

whoooa.  C division?  is that fun?  it sounds pretty cool.  anyone who works in C would care to say the Pros/Cons for that division? 

Anyone here already a T/O? How would you describe this job? Stressful or not that bad? Too much workplace politics or do you job right and they left you alone? Would you recommend this job to your best friend? 
I am just curious. Lol. 

Went on Thursday cleared my medical hold but was told theres no vacancy but there is a November class coming up so now i have to email DCAS to put my name back on the list and then email the MTA a week after that to see if I'm back on the list

1 hour ago, BrooklynN said:

Anyone here already a T/O? How would you describe this job? Stressful or not that bad? Too much workplace politics or do you job right and they left you alone? Would you recommend this job to your best friend? 
I am just curious. Lol. 

Personally speaking, I wouldn't.

If you have other options I strongly suggest to go and pursue them.   

The job takes a major toll on your health and family life.  It will consume you especially your first 5-10 years.  Morale is nonexistent, from supervision down to your coworkers.   

The labor union will not help you, not because they don't want to, but the powers that be have essentially disabled them from doing so.  It's too far gone.

Sure there are good people on the job, but you'll notice they're few and far between.

The major handicap in this institution is not the work itself, but the management.  The organization is severely flawed and within a few weeks on you'll realize why they have such a high turn over and struggle to motivate people to come to work, which for some odd reason, they do not get graded on, otherwise they would have all lost their jobs years ago.

Also remember to factor in the current climate of this city, as a RTO or surface employee, you often become overwhelmed with dealing with people and situations that have totally nothing to do with your job description.   

Throw in random reporting locations, erratic schedule changes, complete violations of seniority without additional compensation, and complete lack of support from the union and your coworkers.  You will quickly become complacent and disgruntled.

Not too many candidates are cut out to tolerate this sort of work environment, and quite frankly, why should they.  Employees are leaving this department and agency in droves.  

On the flip side, the job does pay well (although not enough in my opinion), pension is still decent compared to other titles and city agencies (not as good as the uniformed forces obviously but better than administrative employees) with decent benefits.  

The decision is ultimately yours. 

2 hours ago, Late Clear said:

Personally speaking, I wouldn't.

If you have other options I strongly suggest to go and pursue them.   

The job takes a major toll on your health and family life.  It will consume you especially your first 5-10 years.  Morale is nonexistent, from supervision down to your coworkers.   

The labor union will not help you, not because they don't want to, but the powers that be have essentially disabled them from doing so.  It's too far gone.

Sure there are good people on the job, but you'll notice they're few and far between.

The major handicap in this institution is not the work itself, but the management.  The organization is severely flawed and within a few weeks on you'll realize why they have such a high turn over and struggle to motivate people to come to work, which for some odd reason, they do not get graded on, otherwise they would have all lost their jobs years ago.

Also remember to factor in the current climate of this city, as a RTO or surface employee, you often become overwhelmed with dealing with people and situations that have totally nothing to do with your job description.   

Throw in random reporting locations, erratic schedule changes, complete violations of seniority without additional compensation, and complete lack of support from the union and your coworkers.  You will quickly become complacent and disgruntled.

Not too many candidates are cut out to tolerate this sort of work environment, and quite frankly, why should they.  Employees are leaving this department and agency in droves.  

On the flip side, the job does pay well (although not enough in my opinion), pension is still decent compared to other titles and city agencies (not as good as the uniformed forces obviously but better than administrative employees) with decent benefits.  

The decision is ultimately yours. 

It can take a toll on your health, yes. But to be honest, a large part of that is because people down here allow themselves to fall into a sedentary lifestyle. 

Ask anyone down here who knows me and they will tell you that I always carry around my gym clothes to put in that work after work. And I've basically managed to keep my weight the same since coming down here.

Too many people in RTO are basically blimps; of course that will impact your health moreso. 

Agreed with much of what you have said here though.

The management is horrible and (though I know some people here will not agree with what I'm about to say) racist; the other sections of the MTA with a more white workforce do not get treated as badly as we do. 

Some people down here with time ego trip (i.e. the cats who see u in "their" chair and ask you to get off of it); others in that same position don't though.

This has the potential to be one of the best jobs in the country. If only some things were changed.

1 hour ago, MarkGuy said:

Too many people in RTO are basically blimps; of course that will impact your health moreso. 

i dont get it.....(i'm not a gym nut so i won't get how human physiology works) but.....i see T/Os on their feet all day, wouldn't they be "more fit" as they work?  just saying....

1 hour ago, MarkGuy said:

The management is horrible and (though I know some people here will not agree with what I'm about to say) racist; 

Some people down here with time ego trip (i.e. the cats who see u in "their" chair and ask you to get off of it); others in that same position don't though.

omg.....this is just like high school all over again???   it happens all over, even in the sanitized corporate world....but come on!!  

I hope it's possible to eat lunch by yourself and be left alone?? my question is.....during lunch breaks between trips....can we just wander off and be by yourself and not hang in the cramped break room?

4 hours ago, CJ21292 said:

Went on Thursday cleared my medical hold but was told theres no vacancy but there is a November class coming up so now i have to email DCAS to put my name back on the list and then email the MTA a week after that to see if I'm back on the list

congrats on clearing your medical hold.  but the no vacancy is very dissapointing :(

was hoping for a chance this year to get into class.  will probably take another century.   we'll see how my drug test goes first!  list = 26xx.   

5 hours ago, CJ21292 said:

Damn sorry to hear that went in on Tuesday and cleared my medical hold. Guess I just made the cut for the class because I’m in the Nov. 15th class. Most important part is that you cleared your medical hold, maybe they would be a class in December. 

53 minutes ago, Steph said:

Damn sorry to hear that went in on Tuesday and cleared my medical hold. Guess I just made the cut for the class because I’m in the Nov. 15th class. Most important part is that you cleared your medical hold, maybe they would be a class in December. 

If i email dcas and the mta when they told me to i got a shot at making it into the November class

16 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

It can take a toll on your health, yes. But to be honest, a large part of that is because people down here allow themselves to fall into a sedentary lifestyle. 

Ask anyone down here who knows me and they will tell you that I always carry around my gym clothes to put in that work after work. And I've basically managed to keep my weight the same since coming down here.

Agreed with much of what you have said here though.

The management is horrible and (though I know some people here will not agree with what I'm about to say) racist; the other sections of the MTA with a more white workforce do not get treated as badly as we do. 

This has the potential to be one of the best jobs in the country. If only some things were changed.

You're right about the sedentary lifestyle.   I also have managed to stay healthy and it took a tremendous amount of discipline and lifestyle changes.  I always tell new folks to bring their own lunch, keep it healthy, and avoid buying food at terminals if you can.  It's really easy to meal plan and you don't have to make it complicated.  You'll save money and maintain your health, it's a no brainer.

As far as gyms and physical activity are concerned, you can find a blink fitness pretty much on any line in both divisions, I highly recommend a membership.  It's not easy though, especially if you're not driving and you're XL or XX to carry all that gear with you and your gym clothes.  

As far as racism is concerned, I believe this department and agency get treated worse because of the lack of negotiated rights and job protections by the labor union.  It's really up to membership to demand that.  We all pay union dues. 

1 hour ago, Late Clear said:

You're right about the sedentary lifestyle.   I also have managed to stay healthy and it took a tremendous amount of discipline and lifestyle changes.  I always tell new folks to bring their own lunch, keep it healthy, and avoid buying food at terminals if you can.  It's really easy to meal plan and you don't have to make it complicated.  You'll save money and maintain your health, it's a no brainer.

As far as gyms and physical activity are concerned, you can find a blink fitness pretty much on any line in both divisions, I highly recommend a membership.  It's not easy though, especially if you're not driving and you're XL or XX to carry all that gear with you and your gym clothes.  

As far as racism is concerned, I believe this department and agency get treated worse because of the lack of negotiated rights and job protections by the labor union.  It's really up to membership to demand that.  We all pay union dues. 

The membership has been demanding that; people (including yours truly) regularly critique the union's efforts at monthly meetings, but ultimately they are in bed with management, given they struck a deal with them in the most recent contract to have us come to work more frequently and share the savings amongst themselves.

That's why they have no vested interest in fighting to get us more time off for the things we endure down here. Or why we still had to fully come to work during a global pandemic. 

And about what I said about racism, just look around at the decrepit conditions wee have to work in.

The lack of toilet paper/paper towels; dirty,  unmaintained ventilation, literal sewage in some cases, disgusting urinals. Supervisors will say it's our fault but never mention how this company greatly reduced cleaner slots and outsourced it instead of hiring full-time unionized ones. Is this really the same trearment in the majority white LIRR and Metro North?

The discipline we face; when a union opposition member exposed how one LIRR crew opened up without platforms a few years ago and only got a reprimand while there are people here who've been slapped with DANS for dropping the handle one time while the train was barely moving. There's no way skin color doesn't play some role here.

I won't get into that aspect too much more on this forum. But I had to speak my mind on it.

Honestly i feel (with 19 years down here) this Job has its good and its bad..

Its up to the person how they handle it and go from there.

I had worse jobs than this, where racism was in your face and blatant...

Don't think for a minute EEO wont come down hard on things if it comes to that, they will and have. They have no loyalties.. 

This place is like high school lots of barking little biting like most jobs out here.

The job is How each person makes it bottom line.

Do ones job and go home and ignore the drama, petty barking and loud mouths...

If one carries oneself as a nonsense professional one wont have ANY problems down here none..

4 hours ago, gncwireless said:

I went in about two weeks and did my drug test but didn’t hear anything back as yet. Any idea how long after the drug test it takes for them to call you back ?

Could be anywhere between 3-90 days. Currently it sounds like there is a class scheduled for Nov 15. But things change here daily. 

1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

Honestly i feel (with 19 years down here) this Job has its good and its bad..

Its up to the person how they handle it and go from there.

I had worse jobs than this, where racism was in your face and blatant...

Don't think for a minute EEO wont come down hard on things if it comes to that, they will and have. They have no loyalties.. 

This place is like high school lots of barking little biting like most jobs out here.

The job is How each person makes it bottom line.

Do ones job and go home and ignore the drama, petty barking and loud mouths...

If one carries oneself as a nonsense professional one wont have ANY problems down here none..

I know this is response to the previous posts. And I fully agree with you here. 

I’ve only just got on the job a couple months as a conductor and like I had messaged earlier I am currently in pre-employment process for T/O. 

Prior to coming into NYCT, I worked in retail loss prevention for 10 years. It’s all the same BS anywhere you work. It truly is about what you make it. There will always be positives and negatives about any job. It’s what you make of it. 

Stay positive and you might have some good days in NYCT. Lol. 

Good luck to everyone going through the process to get in. This definitely isn’t for everyone but if you don’t let others emotions get to you this job is very easy. 

21 hours ago, trackerjack said:

omg.....this is just like high school all over again???   it happens all over, even in the sanitized corporate world....but come on!!  

I hope it's possible to eat lunch by yourself and be left alone?? my question is.....during lunch breaks between trips....can we just wander off and be by yourself and not hang in the cramped break room?

I mean, you can, but they can ask you to jump ahead while eating so just be mindful and keep your radio on when away from any crew areas; also, do not venture too far.

11 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

The membership has been demanding that; people (including yours truly) regularly critique the union's efforts at monthly meetings, but ultimately they are in bed with management, given they struck a deal with them in the most recent contract to have us come to work more frequently and share the savings amongst themselves.

That's why they have no vested interest in fighting to get us more time off for the things we endure down here. Or why we still had to fully come to work during a global pandemic. 

And about what I said about racism, just look around at the decrepit conditions wee have to work in.

The lack of toilet paper/paper towels; dirty,  unmaintained ventilation, literal sewage in some cases, disgusting urinals. Supervisors will say it's our fault but never mention how this company greatly reduced cleaner slots and outsourced it instead of hiring full-time unionized ones. Is this really the same trearment in the majority white LIRR and Metro North?

The discipline we face; when a union opposition member exposed how one LIRR crew opened up without platforms a few years ago and only got a reprimand while there are people here who've been slapped with DANS for dropping the handle one time while the train was barely moving. There's no way skin color doesn't play some role here.

I won't get into that aspect too much more on this forum. But I had to speak my mind on it.

You're correct about discipline but who's job is it to grieve and argue discipline.  The union, it sells out the membership.   It can be argued that the union favors a certain race over another and I certainly believe there is prejudice there.  The membership collectively needs to demand change.

3 hours ago, Late Clear said:

You're correct about discipline but who's job is it to grieve and argue discipline.  The union, it sells out the membership.   It can be argued that the union favors a certain race over another and I certainly believe there is prejudice there.  The membership collectively needs to demand change.

Oh agreed def. We do need to unite as workers And bring about the right leadership. 

14 hours ago, BrooklynN said:

How long is the conductor training? 

8 weeks for A division and 9 weeks for B division just because there’s an extra week of posting because there’s more train types in B division. 

I was told T/O school car is 6 months for A division and 7 months for B division for the same reasons.