ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

20 hours ago, JDS1057 said:

I know this is response to the previous posts. And I fully agree with you here. 

I’ve only just got on the job a couple months as a conductor and like I had messaged earlier I am currently in pre-employment process for T/O. 

Prior to coming into NYCT, I worked in retail loss prevention for 10 years. It’s all the same BS anywhere you work. It truly is about what you make it. There will always be positives and negatives about any job. It’s what you make of it. 

Stay positive and you might have some good days in NYCT. Lol. 

Good luck to everyone going through the process to get in. This definitely isn’t for everyone but if you don’t let others emotions get to you this job is very easy. 

My dad used to say "Never let your Job come home with you and never bring your house to the Job"..

Going by what I'm seeing from some of the YOUNGER folks they got down here..

They aren't following that advice or no one has given it to them...

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Oh agreed def. We do need to unite as workers And bring about the right leadership. 

Sadly other departments (and the way the contract is handled each department gets its perks i would love for that to change).

It has to be Everyone NOT just RTO we got the least amount of voting dues paying members and it hurts us as a whole.

Unless we get someone up top who favors understand and actually cares about us in  RTO it will be be the same cycle wash rinse repeat, yet this election coming up that might change.

I got a good feeling on a certain candidate who i see is networking with ALL departs not just worrying about RTO..

16 minutes ago, Pete23 said:

Can someone please explain what A & B division is (locations?)? Thanks so much 

A division - number trains….mostly Bronx reports (van court land, Woodlawn,Pelham, or south Brooklyn (Flatbush/new lots)

B division- letter trains ….mostly Coney Island, Norwood 205….207 Washington heights for the A  , so on and so forth 

33 minutes ago, Pete23 said:

Can someone please explain what A & B division is (locations?)? Thanks so much 

A division if u live uptown, B division if u in queens or Brooklyn. 

Also, A division is faster, shorter trains and platforms, much more supervision and the big rookie mistake over there is station overruns because the IRT(A division) used to be 5 car trains. They expanded the platforms just enough for 10 car trains but most of them are tight so your train control has to be 100 percent on point. And oh u have 6 months out on your own before you are off probation.

B division, lots more to learn so Schoolcar is longer, or at least supposed to be..they have been condensing it to rush TOs out. Trains are longer and bigger and not as fast because they are so heavy, platforms are a lot longer, more tower heavy so u have to learn areas of control and a lot more lineups. Less supervision out and about and RCC can't see u at all times like they can in the A.

If u don't mind traveling, my suggestion to a new person would be go to the B. Sure there's lots more to learn, but I've been in both and i feel like as long as u are on point about your lineups, probation will be a lot easier to get through. B division makes better train operators and I'm saying this as someone who has now experienced both in a very short amount of time as a new person in both.

On 10/14/2021 at 11:05 AM, beanz said:

Also, A division is faster, shorter trains and platforms, much more supervision and the big rookie mistake over there is station overruns because the IRT(A division) used to be 5 car trains. They expanded the platforms just enough for 10 car trains but most of them are tight so your train control has to be 100 percent on point. And oh u have 6 months out on your own before you are off probation.

B division, lots more to learn so Schoolcar is longer, or at least supposed to be..they have been condensing it to rush TOs out. Trains are longer and bigger and not as fast because they are so heavy, platforms are a lot longer, more tower heavy so u have to learn areas of control and a lot more lineups. Less supervision out and about and RCC can't see u at all times like they can in the A.

If u don't mind traveling, my suggestion to a new person would be go to the B. Sure there's lots more to learn, but I've been in both and i feel like as long as u are on point about your lineups, probation will be a lot easier to get through. B division makes better train operators and I'm saying this as someone who has now experienced both in a very short amount of time as a new person in both.

Thank you for this post. I just took pre-employment, drug test this week. So if you live in Brooklyn like I do you can ask to work in the B division and start in south brooklyn or if you're in extra list they could also send me all the way to the Bronx and the A division. That would be a huge difference in my commute and life. I hope for the B division although it's harder. 

On 10/14/2021 at 11:05 AM, beanz said:

Edited by FilippoSironi

10 minutes ago, FilippoSironi said:

Thank you for this post. I just took pre-employment, drug test this week. So if you live in Brooklyn like I do you can ask to work in the B division and start in south brooklyn or if you're in extra list they could also send me all the way to the Bronx and the A division. That would be a huge difference in my commute and life. I hope for the B division although it's harder. 

Nah u will be one division or the other not both. I would pick the B since u are in Brooklyn. Once u pick a division u can't transfer to the other until u are able to pick a job or unless they draft people to the other division because of need, as has happened in the past.

25 minutes ago, beanz said:

Nah u will be one division or the other not both. I would pick the B since u are in Brooklyn. Once u pick a division u can't transfer to the other until u are able to pick a job or unless they draft people to the other division because of need, as has happened in the past.

so you get to pick even if you're on the extra list? Yes I plan to pick the B. 

Edited by FilippoSironi

5 minutes ago, FilippoSironi said:

so you get to pick even if you're on the extra list? Yes I plan to pick the B. 

Extra list is something different. When u start, if there is a vacancy in both divisions, the members of your induction class with the higher seniority numbers will be asked which division they choose until the vacancies close out.

Once you are in a division, u will go through Schoolcar and once u pass and are out on the road, u will be extra extra in that division, which means u don't have a set schedule or job assignment.

Extra list is something u can choose to be when u have time and are able to pick. The difference between extra extra and extra list is that when u are extra extra, your tour and days off can change whenever they want to change it. When u are extra list, u don't have a job assignment but u choose your tour and days off and nobody can change them. So extra list will not apply to any of you for a couple of years at least and extra extra won't apply to you until u have completed Schoolcar.

Edited by beanz

5 minutes ago, beanz said:

Extra list is something different. When u start, if there is a vacancy in both divisions, the members of your induction class with the higher seniority numbers will be asked which division they choose until the vacancies close out.

Once you are in a division, u will go through Schoolcar and once u pass and are out on the road, u will be extra extra in that division, which means u don't have a set schedule or job assignment.

Extra list is something u can choose to be when u have time and are able to pick. The difference between extra extra and extra list is that when u are extra extra, your tour and days off can change whenever they want to change it. When u are extra list, u don't have a job assignment but u choose your tour and days off and nobody can change them. So extra list will not apply to any of you for a couple of years at least and extra extra won't apply to you until u have completed Schoolcar.

oh ok Thank you so much! Sounds like the first couple of years in the extra extra will be hard but that's ok. 

I'm so happy to have found and be on this forum. I'm super new here so Im so glad to meet everyone.

I did pre-employment recently in Livingston and waiting for medical.  
I got a bunch of questions if any veteran or new operators wants to answer, I will be so happy!

I'm sorry if it's too much questions.  I am SUPER nervous/anxious because I have always been working in a sheltered office environment all my life so please understand, some of these questions might seem ignorant, if they are...i'm really really sorry in advance.

1)  How to deal with bullies on the job? Just ignore and carry on? I don't handle bullies very well, i have worked in some really toxic companies before and it was very bad for your mental health.  I have learned to deal with them though.
2)  Even if you use your cell phone for emergencies in the cab in "secret", you will be fired on the spot is this correct? I'm asking because I am assuming there are cameras in terminals and the control tower can see you use your cell phone?  I am paranoid and I think it's best to leave cell phone at home?
3)  I'm really really scared about the third rail. Do I have to walk on top of / around the 3rd rail a lot?
4)  I am able to arrange an apartment and live in Manhattan if need be...so is it best to go to A Division?
5)  I'm afraid of bad neighborhoods (honestly I have never been in one all my life), and I see that these Yards are usually in the outskirts of town. Should I Be worried? AKA: going home late at night after being on the road - and then i have to take mass transit home from those Yards sometimes in the early AM - should I fear for my safety?  I am not tall / nor big / you can say I look like I cannot defend myself.
6)  If I have a 12-9 incident as I read in the older posts, am I forced to take an Unpaid leave of absence indefinitely?
7)  Are you forced to join the Union?  Or can you not join the union? Are their PROS for NOT joining? Or would the decision for this be a no-brainer once / if I start?
8)  Are train ops allowed to wear sunglasses during the day when they are outside on the rails?

Again sorry for the rant as I'm not familiar with the culture here and sorry for sounding like a total ignoramus.  I appreciate if anyone answers any of my questions that will for sure, help me decide if this career is right for me!

Thanks a bunch!!!

2 hours ago, lizzydriver said:

I'm so happy to have found and be on this forum. I'm super new here so Im so glad to meet everyone.

I got a bunch of questions if any veteran or new operators wants to answer, I will be so happy!

I'm sorry if it's too much questions.  I am SUPER nervous/anxious because I have always been working in a sheltered office environment all my life so please understand, some of these questions might seem ignorant, if they are...i'm really really sorry in advance.

1)  How to deal with bullies on the job? Just ignore and carry on? I don't handle bullies very well, i have worked in some really toxic companies before and it was very bad for your mental health.  I have learned to deal with them though.
2)  Even if you use your cell phone for emergencies in the cab in "secret", you will be fired on the spot is this correct? I'm asking because I am assuming there are cameras in terminals and the control tower can see you use your cell phone?  I am paranoid and I think it's best to leave cell phone at home?
3)  I'm really really scared about the third rail. Do I have to walk on top of / around the 3rd rail a lot?
4)  I am able to arrange an apartment and live in Manhattan if need be...so is it best to go to A Division?
5)  I'm afraid of bad neighborhoods (honestly I have never been in one all my life), and I see that these Yards are usually in the outskirts of town. Should I Be worried? AKA: going home late at night after being on the road - and then i have to take mass transit home from those Yards sometimes in the early AM - should I fear for my safety?  I am not tall / nor big / you can say I look like I cannot defend myself.
6)  If I have a 12-9 incident as I read in the older posts, am I forced to take an Unpaid leave of absence indefinitely?
7)  Are you forced to join the Union?  Or can you not join the union? Are their PROS for NOT joining? Or would the decision for this be a no-brainer once / if I start?
8)  Are train ops allowed to wear sunglasses during the day when they are outside on the rails?

Again sorry for the rant as I'm not familiar with the culture here and sorry for sounding like a total ignoramus.  I appreciate if anyone answers any of my questions that will for sure, help me decide if this career is right for me!

Thanks a bunch!!!

1. You'll have some assclowns here, as you will find with damn near any other job. Sometimes it's best to let ish slide; other times you will have to stand up for yourself, which can be nerve wracking. This job WILL force you to do the latter at at least some point or another. Speaking from personal experience. But you also have some great people down here as well.

2. You cannot, under any circumstances whatsoever, use your phone in the cab. If you have an emergency, use the radio, have your partner use his/hers if yours is not working, or secure the train and use a wayside phone if neither of the aforementioned things work. Cell phones are not permitted while operating (hell, even when not, but outside a designated rest area for crews). And yes, some people have been outright terminated for that on the first offense.

3. You're never supposed to walk on top of the 3rd rail (though a lot of people down here foolishly so). But you will be trained on how to walk around it safely, and you will have to do so when doing put ins from a regular yard or during some bie investigations.

4. Depends on what part of Manhattan. A div might be better if upper.

5. IDK quite what to tell you here. Sure, some yards are far out. But your fear could be extrapolated to plenty of jobs in the city and their report locations and hours. Carry yourself confidently and don't worry too much about this. 

6. No. You are given 3 days off after a 12-9 but they're up to u if u want to. You can take more time than that too. In any way you'll be drug tested and briefly removed from service pending results. 

7. I believe you can ask to not have your dues taken out of your check-not sure. Tbh, our union today is a shell of its former self so it's debatable. Buuutt I will say we need more people active in the local to really force change

8. Yes, only in outdoor areas between sunrise and sunset.

Hope these answers help. 

1 hour ago, lizzydriver said:

Thanks a bunch!!!

1. Entirely up to you. You can file a complaint with the TD, superintendent, union, etc and have it on record and investigated. In the end, you shouldn't have much trouble down here unless you're looking for it.

2. It has been changed that at minimum you will get days on the street. No need to leave the cell phone at home. For the most part, don't have it out in the cab.

3. If you can lift your feet, you can step over the third rail.

4. As written extensively before, most of the reporting locations for the A division is in the Bronx. B division pretty much everywhere else. What will matter is whether you have a car or not and what part of Manhattan. That's entirely up to you to decide whether you want to travel to the various locations you will be coming from.

5. From what I read from others, Pitkin, Livonia, and Lenox yards can be dangerous. Do what you gotta do.

20 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

6. No. You are given 3 days off after a 12-9 but they're up to u if u want to. You can take more time than that too. In any way you'll be drug tested and briefly removed from service pending results. 

Mandatory 3 days off? paid or unpaid? Drug test after 12-9, why?