ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Don't worry once you get in you'll understand everything they'll explain stuff during the zoom call

Ok good. Thank you. I was asking because I had a trip plan for next summer to visit my family in another country and I would have to change my plans if I can't get any type of vacation time off for one year.

11 minutes ago, FilippoSironi said:

Ok good. Thank you. I was asking because I had a trip plan for next summer to visit my family in another country and I would have to change my plans if I can't get any type of vacation time off for one year.

Yea sorry but it's gonna be very difficult to take a summer vacation in your first year unless it's a short 5 day getaway. The way vacation time works down here is very complicated and sucks but gets better with seniority. U might still be in training next summer and definitely still on probation. I had to miss a vacation to my home country(DR) while in Schoolcar and my wife and kid went alone with her family. 

This job asks a lot of u in the first few years but it gets better and that's what keeps me going.

3 minutes ago, beanz said:

Yea sorry but it's gonna be very difficult to take a summer vacation in your first year unless it's a short 5 day getaway. The way vacation time works down here is very complicated and sucks but gets better with seniority. U might still be in training next summer and definitely still on probation. I had to miss a vacation to my home country(DR) while in Schoolcar and my wife and kid went alone with her family. 

This job asks a lot of u in the first few years but it gets better and that's what keeps me going.

ok I understand. Yes I can see it would be hard to go to my home country  for the first few years. I'm still very interested in getting the position, I just want to make sure I know what to expect so I can arrange my life accordingly. Did you start accruing vacation time and sick days while in schoolcar or only after?

3 minutes ago, FilippoSironi said:

ok I understand. Yes I can see it would be hard to go to my home country  for the first few years. I'm still very interested in getting the position, I just want to make sure I know what to expect so I can arrange my life accordingly. Did you start accruing vacation time and sick days while in schoolcar or only after?

They accrue during but you get them in one shot in May for the sick days and October u believe for the vacation days. U also get AVAs which are holidays, those get banked as they happen as long as u choose to save them instead of getting paid for them. Some u automatically get paid for unless u save them using our automated phone system. Taking them is another story n too complicated to get into here. I took 2 AVAs durint a certain portion of my Schoolcar training so it isnt impossible. 

3 minutes ago, beanz said:

They accrue during but you get them in one shot in May for the sick days and October u believe for the vacation days. U also get AVAs which are holidays, those get banked as they happen as long as u choose to save them instead of getting paid for them. Some u automatically get paid for unless u save them using our automated phone system. Taking them is another story n too complicated to get into here. I took 2 AVAs durint a certain portion of my Schoolcar training so it isnt impossible. 

ok that's not too bad then if you start accruing in school car and can use holiday pay for vacation. 

15 hours ago, Schecter said:

Any time off is paid via using your OTO or AVA you have to call 21 days in advance to request either one of those two and they either grant it or they don't. And then you have sick days you accumulate as well, while on probation you don't get paid your first day out, and using to many sick days can put you on sick control where they visit your house to make sure you're home. Using too many sick days can ruin your chance of having a promotion if you have less than half of what you're supposed to have. You get 12 sick days a year. Make sure all sick time used comes with doctor lines so they will be counted as substantiated sick time and not unsubstantiated.

Its Twenty days Not 21 days.

2 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

If you start working this year i suggest you change your plans...

You will be extra extra and your days off tours will not be set..

Also good chance you will be in Schoolcar still..

Taking a family vacation while in Scholcar? Uh not a good idea.

2 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

Honestly, your choices at this point are to forgo employment with the agency, have the family go without you, or shift the trip to when you're able to go.  Since everything is seniority based, don't expect summer vacation for years. Expect January to early March with the exception of President's Day week as your best hope when you secure enough time for a vacation. Eventually, fall should open up.

3 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

How came if you work January to December it only counts as working 10 months and not 12?

When it comes to vacation accrual the first year, you can get a max of 2 weeks. (10 days) Remember your first year, the amount of vacation days/weeks is determined by how many months you complete in the year. 

11 minutes ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

Honestly, your choices at this point are to forgo employment with the agency, have the family go without you, or shift the trip to when you're able to go.  Since everything is seniority based, don't expect summer vacation for years. Expect January to early March with the exception of President's Day week as your best hope when you secure enough time for a vacation. Eventually, fall should open up.

my trip was to go see my family so I guess I'll postpone and don't see my parents for this year. 

2 hours ago, Pete23 said:

Took my pre employment last week on Wednesday 10/13. Patiently waiting for medical and my list number is 2591

Thank you. I suggest you edit out the last one or two #. To 25xx or 259x. You don’t want your real identity revealed. Lol. 
I took it one day after you, I am 26xx. Haha 

3 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

my trip was to go see my family so I guess I'll postpone and don't see my parents for this year. 

It’s gonna be shit for a bit, but you’ll hear “it gets better” a lot as soon as you get in the suck and it’s true!

After schoolcar, time really does fly by. I just hit my 3rd year and will be picking my 4 weeks of vacation and, likely, my first job soon. It still feels like I just got out of schoolcar yesterday.

XX will suck, but as long as you accept that it’s part of what you signed up for, and that it’s just a phase in your career, it’s bearable.

Think long term and big picture. 

Stay the course.

Edited by Jay-Oh

1 hour ago, Jay-Oh said:

It’s gonna be shit for a bit, but you’ll hear “it gets better” a lot as soon as you get in the suck and it’s true!

After schoolcar, time really does fly by. I just hit my 3rd year and will be picking my 4 weeks of vacation and, likely, my first job soon. It still feels like I just got out of schoolcar yesterday.

XX will suck, but as long as you accept that it’s part of what you signed up for, and that it’s just a phase in your career, it’s bearable.

Think long term and big picture. 

Stay the course.

so guys.....assuming you get 2 weeks (after school car and you pay your dues).... can you take off 2 weeks straight?  meaning 5 days + 5 days in a row?  or...... you can only take off 5 days first.....then work.......then take another 5 days off.  Assuming they APPROVE you over the phone right?  Is everything from requests to approvals / denials automated over the phone too? 

5 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

are you scheduled to appear for your first day of school yet?  or did you only take the Drug test and not the medical?  Cuz....if you didn't take the medical....the jokes on us!!  It took them 4 years to call/email us....i'm gonna assume it's gonna take another 4 years to call us again :(

8 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

so guys.....assuming you get 2 weeks (after school car and you pay your dues).... can you take off 2 weeks straight?  meaning 5 days + 5 days in a row?  or...... you can only take off 5 days first.....then work.......then take another 5 days off.  Assuming they APPROVE you over the phone right?  Is everything from requests to approvals / denials automated over the phone too? 

The way it works is every week of the year has a set amount of TOs that can take it off. Vacation is picked by seniority. Week of Xmas, week of Thanksgiving, and summer weeks are usually first to go. Then any weeks where school is out like spring break and mid winter recess. 

If there are 2 weeks available in a row that u can pick, then yes u can take them both in a row. Assuming u have the full 2 weeks by then.

33 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

are you scheduled to appear for your first day of school yet?  or did you only take the Drug test and not the medical?  Cuz....if you didn't take the medical....the jokes on us!!  It took them 4 years to call/email us....i'm gonna assume it's gonna take another 4 years to call us again :(

Don’t think so, MTA is short on T/Os right now. Even considering cutting training time to speed up the process. I bet one to two months wait max for medical. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynN said:

Don’t think so, MTA is short on T/Os right now. Even considering cutting training time to speed up the process. I bet one to two months wait max for medical. 

i'm totally down for cutting training.  mistakes will be made.  lives might be in danger or even lost.  but i NEED THIS CAREER!!  worth the risks for all