ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

1 hour ago, BrooklynN said:

Don’t think so, MTA is short on T/Os right now. Even considering cutting training time to speed up the process. I bet one to two months wait max for medical. 

I only did pre-employment and drug test. 4 years to call you for medical? I'm pretty sure there were people there taking the medical who had just done pre employment just a few weeks before

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

It’s gonna be shit for a bit, but you’ll hear “it gets better” a lot as soon as you get in the suck and it’s true!

After schoolcar, time really does fly by. I just hit my 3rd year and will be picking my 4 weeks of vacation and, likely, my first job soon. It still feels like I just got out of schoolcar yesterday.

XX will suck, but as long as you accept that it’s part of what you signed up for, and that it’s just a phase in your career, it’s bearable.

Think long term and big picture. 

Stay the course.

Thank you. How long were you on the xx ?

47 minutes ago, FilippoSironi said:

So 3 years in xx then x? Does that mean you haven't had a steady schedule and days off the whole time being on xx?

Yeah 3 years as XX.

I didn’t have a steady schedule in terms of assignments; but I kept the same tour, and the same days off for quite sometime.

Then they gave me Saturday/Sunday off for half a year or so before changing it back to Wednesday/Thursday. 
They don’t change your days off often, but it does happen.

They never change my tour, I was PM’s the entirety of my time as XX.

Overall, it wasn’t too bad - the only thing that sucked was getting sent to the furthest terminal from my house a lot.

11 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

my trip was to go see my family so I guess I'll postpone and don't see my parents for this year. 

Admittedly, I was being a little flippant and mean after a long day in the mine, so I must apologize. COVID admittedly wrecked things, but I missed out on a few events with my cousins overseas, and trying to plan much of anything is difficult in the early years of the job. I'm lucky that I had the chance to do a massive bit of travel before I started here, and it's something that I suggest to anybody that has the chance to do so while you're waiting for your appointment to the job, especially if you have family "back home". But as RTO said, it may not be ideal, but eventually, you'll get to pick vacation and go back home and see family.

2 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

So 3 years in xx then x? Does that mean you haven't had a steady schedule and days off the whole time being on xx?

For what it's worth, I've been XX for a little over two years. Some people luck out with consistent days off, but they're generally less popular pairs like Tuesday and Wednesday. Some of my classmates had consistently changing days off from every few weeks which made it hard to plan anything on a medium term basis. Tours of duty generally remained consistent unless there was a training class of some type. There isn't much in the way of consistency in the schedule within your tour. For example, I've had weeks where I had late PM jobs, and other weeks where I had early PM jobs. They'll take your home location into account somewhat, but otherwise, it's hard to predict how they'll assign you for you jobs. 

As for how long you'll be on XX, it depends on how quickly you move up in seniority, and I'd mentally budget three to four years at minimum before you can pick a job or switch divisions. In the mean time, when a new pick starts, you can always attempt to bid for a picked job that the holder of that job has vacated and temporarily have some stability.

1 hour ago, Jay-Oh said:

Yeah 3 years as XX.

I didn’t have a steady schedule in terms of assignments; but I kept the same tour, and the same days off for quite sometime.

Then they gave me Saturday/Sunday off for half a year or so before changing it back to Wednesday/Thursday. 
They don’t change your days off often, but it does happen.

They never change my tour, I was PM’s the entirety of my time as XX.

Overall, it wasn’t too bad - the only thing that sucked was getting sent to the furthest terminal from my house a lot.

Thank you for the reply. Oh ok that doesn't sound so bad now if they kept you on the same tour. I was afraid of being changed from am to pm to overnights all the time. That would be very tough personally.

Just now, FilippoSironi said:

Thank you for the reply. Oh ok that doesn't sound so bad now if they kept you on the same tour. I was afraid of being changed from am to pm to overnights all the time. That would be very tough personally.

They have the right to change your tour, but generally, that's unlikely the crew office will do so.

43 minutes ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

Admittedly, I was being a little flippant and mean after a long day in the mine, so I must apologize. COVID admittedly wrecked things, but I missed out on a few events with my cousins overseas, and trying to plan much of anything is difficult in the early years of the job. I'm lucky that I had the chance to do a massive bit of travel before I started here, and it's something that I suggest to anybody that has the chance to do so while you're waiting for your appointment to the job, especially if you have family "back home". But as RTO said, it may not be ideal, but eventually, you'll get to pick vacation and go back home and see family.

Oh no it was fine! Thank you for all the informations! I appreciate it.

19 minutes ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

For what it's worth, I've been XX for a little over two years. Some people luck out with consistent days off, but they're generally less popular pairs like Tuesday and Wednesday. Some of my classmates had consistently changing days off from every few weeks which made it hard to plan anything on a medium term basis. Tours of duty generally remained consistent unless there was a training class of some type. There isn't much in the way of consistency in the schedule within your tour. For example, I've had weeks where I had late PM jobs, and other weeks where I had early PM jobs. They'll take your home location into account somewhat, but otherwise, it's hard to predict how they'll assign you for you jobs. 

As for how long you'll be on XX, it depends on how quickly you move up in seniority, and I'd mentally budget three to four years at minimum before you can pick a job or switch divisions. In the mean time, when a new pick starts, you can always attempt to bid for a picked job that the holder of that job has vacated and temporarily have some stability.

Ok that makes sense. Thank you for the reply!

7 minutes ago, Mtahopeful2287 said:

Does anyone know the parking situation at p.s 248? And is that the only location for school car?

Unless you're willing to come super early, take the train. Parking is limited, the parking lot is only for employees that work at the school, and none of you have permits to even attempt to blend in.

As for the rest of schoolcar, after the first week, you'll be reporting to the various yards where they have training rooms. For the A division, enjoy Livonia, Westchester, 239th St, Mosholu, E 180th St, and Van Cortlandt. Parking is somewhat meh outside of most yards, but E 180th is probably the worst with very limited street parking nearby, and Mosholu a close second. 

8 minutes ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

Unless you're willing to come super early, take the train. Parking is limited, the parking lot is only for employees that work at the school, and none of you have permits to even attempt to blend in.

As for the rest of schoolcar, after the first week, you'll be reporting to the various yards where they have training rooms. For the A division, enjoy Livonia, Westchester, 239th St, Mosholu, E 180th St, and Van Cortlandt. Parking is somewhat meh outside of most yards, but E 180th is probably the worst with very limited street parking nearby, and Mosholu a close second. 

Thank you for the info you've been a great help on this forum appreciate you and everyone that has answered questions on here 

9 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

Think of it as the range of hours that a job can be assigned versus how long the job is. For example, there are PM jobs that start at 5 PM or so where the clearing time is at 1 or 2 AM in the morning. 

thank you for all your help I really appreciate. 

12 hours ago, Mtahopeful2287 said:

Does anyone know the parking situation at p.s 248? And is that the only location for school car?

If you need to drive, then you can find ok parking a few blocks away unless you get there REALLY early. When I say early I mean 1.5-2 hrs early. There’s a residential area to the west. Like Keikyu said; don’t try to park in the parking lot of the school. You might get away with it for the first day, but without a permit, they’ll tow your shit.

You’ll be spending a lot of time in the yards of your respective division.

B Div - you’ll see Coney Island Yard, Bedford Park, Jamaica Yard, and Pitkin Yard the most.

Edited by Jay-Oh