ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

1 hour ago, kev2112 said:

Yard Posting starts in 2 weeks. How does it work? Tours? Any info would be helpful.

Your TSS should be able to explain all the questions you may have. Don't be afraid to ask them.

You will receive papers detailing the tour and reporting location and time. You will not be bound to the stable schedule you've had with your class. You will have at least one week in each tour. You will be going to every major yard and terminal. You are to be paired up with a train operator who will explain how the yard or terminal operations works and keep an eye on you as you operate. You may have to wait for one to take you up especially if your classmates are there too and need to be paired up as well. It can be a good time to rack up overtime if you do have to wait or get a late move. I would advise saving the hours so you can request a day off in the future especially when you won't have much in vacation days.

This is more for when you are road posting, but Train Operators do not have to take students and chances are you will have to wait awhile for the next T/O to come in and decide to take you on. Otherwise, you may have to make up the day.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Your TSS should be able to explain all the questions you may have. Don't be afraid to ask them.

You will receive papers detailing the tour and reporting location and time. You will not be bound to the stable schedule you've had with your class. You will have at least one week in each tour. You will be going to every major yard and terminal. You are to be paired up with a train operator who will explain how the yard or terminal operations works and keep an eye on you as you operate. You may have to wait for one to take you up especially if your classmates are there too and need to be paired up as well. It can be a good time to rack up overtime if you do have to wait or get a late move. I would advise saving the hours so you can request a day off in the future especially when you won't have much in vacation days.

This is more for when you are road posting, but Train Operators do not have to take students and chances are you will have to wait awhile for the next T/O to come in and decide to take you on. Otherwise, you may have to make up the day.

Thanks. According to my schedule I have a grand total of 11 Yard posting days. Then YX. 

13 hours ago, Moneyslap03 said:

Been awhile since ive commented was in the 10/4/21 class I’m currently into my first week of Yard Posting if anyone has questions drop down

Hello! After how long that you were in class did you start yard posting and would that time frame be different if you're in the A vs B division? Was the class at different times every weeks or pretty much the same. I'm starting December 27th, 3 pm class. 

Edited by FilippoSironi

For all of those who yard post  station switching post and who will be YX in the Queens Korridor..

Ask..

Ask..

Ask..

There's never a stupid  question most likely your trainer will be someone with Time and from what I'm seeing they are very helpful

There are moves with lay ups that require punching on the Mainline, know what you have to punch don't assume the Tower will have you lined up...

Also there are mainline lay ups where you have to key automatics, or take a call-on (you will find out what this means in training) you do not have to call RCC for permission just key the Signal or accept the call on.

Edited by RTOMan

9 hours ago, Justyn Biggers said:

do you remember how long after pre-employment it took for them to call you for medical? 

It feels like they're taking forever, it's been almost 2 months now. Still waiting for them to call for medical as well. I wonder if the December 27th class is already full or not?

It's almost X-mas!

1)  Are we allowed to record video using a hidden camera or one of those Go Pros?  (for our safety; so much crime lately is happening) Or is this not allowed? No electronics what so ever?
2)  Are we allowed to wear digital watches that lights up? Or are we only allowed analog old style watches?
3)  When is the current list expired?  This is the 3rd Open Competitive in history I have read. I hope they will have a 4th or continue this Current list so some of us still has a chance.
4)  How many Train Operators is MTA hiring?  It seems like they hired a few hundred but they go up to the current list number now is 3000! 
5)  Is B division going to have all the newest tech and trains like the R211 I see in youtube?  Does that leave A division with the oldest trains?

I hope everyone has a good month and end of the year!!!

1 hour ago, lizzydriver said:

It's almost X-mas!

1)  Are we allowed to record video using a hidden camera or one of those Go Pros?  (for our safety; so much crime lately is happening) Or is this not allowed? No electronics what so ever?
2)  Are we allowed to wear digital watches that lights up? Or are we only allowed analog old style watches?
3)  When is the current list expired?  This is the 3rd Open Competitive in history I have read. I hope they will have a 4th or continue this Current list so some of us still has a chance.
4)  How many Train Operators is MTA hiring?  It seems like they hired a few hundred but they go up to the current list number now is 3000! 
5)  Is B division going to have all the newest tech and trains like the R211 I see in youtube?  Does that leave A division with the oldest trains?

1. Hell f***ing no, at least if you mean while operating. I don't even see how that would deter crime at all. 

Technically you're really only allowed to use electronic devices in an approved break area during approved break periods. (though virtually all of us have broken this in some way, shape or form)

2. Depends on what you mean by "digital." No Apple watches or any of that fancy stuff that you can go online with or watch movies. Watches that just tell time with a digital interface, however, are okay. 

3. I think Sept of next year. But they will likely extend it.

4. A lot.

5. Yes, but not for a while. The R211's are currently undergoing extensive testing through the B division. Tentatively, they will be out by summer 2022. 

Even then the A div won't have the oldest cars in the system. Their oldest current cars began revenue service in the 1980s; the R46s debuted in 1975. But the A div will be getting the R262's'-their version of the 211s-in due time. 

3 hours ago, lizzydriver said:

It's almost X-mas!

1) Nobody has tried this, but it's likely that the cameras would fall under "distraction" and be subject to discipline if caught. FWIW, there are cameras in subway stations and buses, and that doesn't deter attacks on employees. 
2) I've seen few fellow train operators with Apple Watches and related watches, but I generally would stay away from those, especially while you're on probation. They're against the rules, and if something happens, they could easily claim that you were distracted by the watch. Digital non-smartwatch watches are acceptable. Casio G shocks are acceptable for example.
3) That's TBD.
4) That's admittedly also TBD. They may want to milk this current crop of testing to avoid having to start from scratch with testing. 
5) It would leave the A division with the oldest trains, but there are certain charms to the 62s. :-) 
Once the 46s are gone, the oldest stuff in the A division and the oldest in the B are at best maybe a few years off from each other. Either way, you'll be operating something from the 1980s in either division.

13 hours ago, lizzydriver said:

It's almost X-mas!

1. Why would that help with Crime? Aren't there cameras on every train and station already?

I actually bumped into a train operator several months ago who was using a GoPro. Said he wanted to make sure any bullshit that happened to him on the road was caught on film.

9 minutes ago, Trains21 said:

Anyone who went for the drug test on October 15th hear anything back about the medical date yet?

Depends more on your list number. You may be at the bottom of the pile.

27 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I actually bumped into a train operator several months ago who was using a GoPro. Said he wanted to make sure any bullshit that happened to him on the road was caught on film.

Depends more on your list number. You may be at the bottom of the pile.

My list number is 270X

1 hour ago, JJ2021 said:

I feel the same I thought it was only me, maybe next week hopefully. The next class is Dec 27th.

I think they are waiting to see how many people can clear their medical holds or other issues. Then last week or so, they call depends on how many more opening spots available for Dec 27.