ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, acabral136 said:

Word of advice. Go early. Like an hour early. Bring snacks. Bring your charger. Download some movies to your phone. 

I was there 7 30am to 4pm. 12pm to 4pm just waiting to take the drug test! I was pissed I left my charger at home. My phone was almost dead and all I could do was watch new york 1 news on repeat for 4 hours. 

The sad part is that there was another good 20 to 25 people waiting, so it wouldn't shock me if someone was still there right now. 

Also, mta employees that need drug tests go in front of u no matter what, so if 8 people show up for random drug tests, they going in front of u unless they have somebody dedicated to just them. 

It was an exercise in patience today. 

That's because the MTA is paying you and they need them to go back to work lol. MTA employees don't mind waiting especially bus operators because that blows trips and less time in they seat lol. 

2 hours ago, lilchasuewboi said:

just finished all my paper work and was worried about the arrest record section too, don't have any tickets so i can't comment on that part. When I was there they told me to just list what i had, i put down my arrest date, charges, the court and the outcome and i gave them the disposition papers.

Just make sure you dont have anything open or pending. If you were arrested tell them and give a disposition paper, they said everything is good and I start in the next class.

So you did medical and final processing today? 

12 hours ago, lilchasuewboi said:

just finished all my paper work and was worried about the arrest record section too, don't have any tickets so i can't comment on that part. When I was there they told me to just list what i had, i put down my arrest date, charges, the court and the outcome and i gave them the disposition papers.

Just make sure you dont have anything open or pending. If you were arrested tell them and give a disposition paper, they said everything is good and I start in the next class.

What’s your list bro?

11 minutes ago, Jeytrain said:

Same. List 27x. 🙏

Just got mine as well. But for Tuesday June 11th for July 9th class. (list # 33x).... Seems like next batch of medical emails went out today. Wish everyone luck!!

6 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

It's looking like it's going to take some time to get to 600+ for medical.
Guess it's time to go relax and wait for the email :D

Fine by me. I was worried about my vacation at the end of July but looks like I'll get to go. 

On 6/6/2018 at 9:42 PM, njbk said:

When i first got my pre employment notice i couldn’t get off work and didn’t wanna tip off my current job so i called and asked, they said i could just call when i was ready to come in. 

Now fast forward 3 weeks and they tell me different things. One person said to call back in a month and one said to go in tomorrow. Don’t wanna go in for nothing But worst case scenario is i get sent home so no biggie i guess. 

https://www.cs.ny.gov/pio/summaryofcslaw/summofcsl-permappt.cfm#failure

You have 10 business days to respond to pre-employment letter.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:38 PM, acabral136 said:

As somebody who works in civil service right now, I'm gonna guess they gonna send u home. There's probably going to be a good amount of people there as it is. I would call if I were u. 

After 10 business days with no response from you, it seems like there is no obligation on the agency's behalf to process your pre-employment.  But go anyways, NYCT does what it does and it's provisional now, so the rules of the list is in a gray area based on need.

On 6/6/2018 at 10:02 PM, acabral136 said:

Yea show up. I only say that because I know how some civil employees can get attitudes when things aren't done by the book. I see it all the time at my job. But if someone did say just come in, I would take my chances if I were u and just come in. 

Don't worry about their attitudes.  You have an obligation to pursue the opportunity.  Negativity runs deep down here.  Getting caught up in negativity doesn't end well.

On 6/7/2018 at 10:20 AM, acabral136 said:

Anybody else at livingston now? 

Something they said that's new to me. After 231 days the pay is 34.88, not top pay yet. 

Train Operator by contract is a two tier pay.  Yard rate and Road rate.  The contract MOU as of 2005 as won by arbitration is 231 days of road service entitles the Train Operator to top pay.  There is no contradictory MOU, nor past practice to refute the written policy regarding Train Operator pay.

2 hours ago, Dave2836 said:

Train Operator by contract is a two tier pay.  Yard rate and Road rate.  The contract MOU as of 2005 as won by arbitration is 231 days of road service entitles the Train Operator to top pay.  There is no contradictory MOU, nor past practice to refute the written policy regarding Train Operator pay.

Whats mou? I don't understand what you mean. 

On 6/7/2018 at 8:08 PM, acabral136 said:

Word of advice. Go early. Like an hour early. Bring snacks. Bring your charger. Download some movies to your phone. 

I was there 7 30am to 4pm. 12pm to 4pm just waiting to take the drug test! I was pissed I left my charger at home. My phone was almost dead and all I could do was watch new york 1 news on repeat for 4 hours. 

The sad part is that there was another good 20 to 25 people waiting, so it wouldn't shock me if someone was still there right now. 

Also, mta employees that need drug tests go in front of u no matter what, so if 8 people show up for random drug tests, they going in front of u unless they have somebody dedicated to just them. 

It was an exercise in patience today. 

Don’t worry. You will be waiting just as long when you go in for your medical and there will be more paperwork. My PE I was there from 7:20 to about 12:30. My medical I was there 7:15 and didn’t finish til around 3:30. Once you are medically qualified you will speak with someone from HR to go over your paperwork. And if you accept the offer you will be sworn in, have your fingerprints taken, have your photo taken and be handed orientation info and your Rules and Regulations handbook. That’s when you have a big sigh of relief and leave the building with a smile on your face. That is until first day of school car lol. 

17 hours ago, mta-sha said:

Just got mine as well. But for Tuesday June 11th for July 9th class. (list # 33x).... Seems like next batch of medical emails went out today. Wish everyone luck!!

When did you go in for preemployment?

2 hours ago, Physcoles said:

Anyone knows who has better benefits & pension. Either MTA T/O or Sanitation?

I can’t say which is better since I am unfamiliar with NYCERs but I believe DSNY is tier 3 and 22 years. MTA is 25 years and tier 6. 

15 minutes ago, apokeguy said:

I can’t say which is better since I am unfamiliar with NYCERs but I believe DSNY is tier 3 and 22 years. MTA is 25 years and tier 6. 

Thanks. I have to choose between MTA T/O & Sanitation.. I guess my deciding factor will be on who has better benefits & pension.

Even tho a buddy of mines said that Sanitation is the best city job

Thanks. I have to choose between MTA T/O & Sanitation.. I guess my deciding factor will be on who has better benefits & pension.

You can choose one, defer the other position until you pass probation and become a permanent employee, then reinstate your name to the list of the other position and when you get called, take a leave of absence to try it out.

Make your final decision at that point.

Yes you will need to take the pros and cons of each. I probably won’t be canvassed from the current sanitation list but I’m definitely taking it again and will jump ship if I get the chance. My buddy in sanitation says training was easy and job is not stressful (mentally not physically) as it would be in transit. Don’t have to worry about trains getting in or leaving on time, safety of passengers, anyone monitoring you etc... If conductors can be seriously penalized If they forget to point their finger when the train is properly stopped in a station I can’t imagine what it’s like for a T/O.

Transit pass is nice but in the last 10+ years I have taken the trains/buses a few dozen times since I drove to work. And on my days off I typically drive to where I needed. 

There are more sanitation depots than there are rail yards so get commuting to work will probably be easier if you get to choose the depot you want. 

Question for those that already signed the paper, in school car or working as T/O... which shoes/boots did you guys order from the website?  Just wanted to get an idea of which ones would be comfortable. I have a few pairs from my old job that I can’t use since the ones we will be wearing have to be TA approved. It took me months to find pairs of safety toed boots that didn’t make my toes cramped and also comfortable to wear 8-10 hours a day.