ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

Hey folks, I'm scheduled to take the T/O exam #7604 on May 31st,2017. I went out and bought the green and yellow  Passbook Train Operator study guide.

The sample tests in this book are as though you're already in "schoolcar" training. For example, the number of horn blasts when passing through stations as well as various air brake pressures depending on the situation.

These questions cannot be on the open competitive exam because newbies weren't trained in these things. Are there any guides for preparation just for the open competitive exam? I can't find any help. 

Please advise, Boomer815

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey folks, I'm scheduled to take the T/O exam #7604 on May 31st,2017. I went out and bought the green and yellow Passbook Train Operator study guide.

The sample tests in this book are as though you're already in "schoolcar" training. For example, the number of horn blasts when passing through stations as well as various air brake pressures depending on the situation.

These questions cannot be on the open competitive exam because newbies weren't trained in these things. Are there any guides for preparation just for the open competitive exam? I can't find any help.

Please advise, Boomer815

Not to be read as facetious:

1- Be there on time if not early.

2- Bring some #2 pencils, black ink pens, and an eraser.

3- Brush up on some reading comprehension skills. Learn proper punctuation. Correct grammar and spelling might come into play in some questions as they have in the past MTA tests I've taken.

4- Take the subways more often. If you are not already on the job with access to materials then observe the trains during transit, during lay ups, how the trains move in underground stations, how they move in above ground stations, peak and off peak hours. Sit near the front cab and sometimes you can hear the T/O communicate with his partner, RCC, and Towers. Look at the signals before a train berths in a station, as it leaves, then after how the signals reset.

5- Breath. Relax. This is open competitve. This test is meant for people off the street with no intricate knowledge of NYCT train operation. If you really want to study, read the subway maps be familiar with train routes and popular tourist stations.

Hey folks, I'm scheduled to take the T/O exam #7604 on May 31st,2017. I went out and bought the green and yellow  Passbook Train Operator study guide.

Please advise, Boomer815

The exams that I have took since MTA took over from DCAS had everything to do with reading comprehension. They just wanna see if you can gasp what is being put in front of you. As was stated they don't expect you to know about the job other than what you read from the notice. So word of advice since you already have the passbook turn straight to the reading comprehension section and study that. Pick up a good book and go from there. Get your mind and body back into the test taking form especially if it's been a minute. Best of luck to you.

sidenote: don't be like others use every bit of time MTA gives you during these exams. Trust me it helps and you won't regret it.

Look for geographical questions about nyc.

Yankee stadium is in what borough ?

Citi field is in Brooklyn? True or false ?

The empire state building is in what borough ?

Where's penn station?

What train goes to staten island from Manhattan? Obviously none.

You obviously know the obvious. If you know how to read this forum and type you're ahead. Just look over the map, some routes especially common routes to landmarks you're going to be fine. And keep those personality questions closely related.

People have told me waiting is the biggest test. Good luck to everyone. Be prepared you got this.

Btw staten island does have a subway train. Its only in Staten island though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Good evening everyone.

I am scheduled to take the T/O Exam #7604 on May 20th. 

I have been diligent with studying that passport book and riding the trains and just doing my best in reading and rereading the subway map.

Preparing the best I could, but I am still nervous;  I am 47 years old...does age play a factor in the hiring process? ( assuming I passed the test and went on to the interviewing process).

Good evening everyone.

I have been diligent with studying that passport book and riding the trains and just doing my best in reading and rereading the subway map.

Preparing the best I could, but I am still nervous;  I am 47 years old...does age play a factor in the hiring process? ( assuming I passed the test and went on to the interviewing process).

Good luck. I don't think age should play a factor. From my experience these test usually are common sense.

Good evening everyone.

Age does not play a factor... I know people in their 50's and 60's as newly hired train operators. Doing well down here! :)

Good luck. I don't think age should play a factor. From my experience these test usually are common sense.

I appreciate your response, thank you.

Don't worry too much about that, try and get as high as you can. 100%-85% would be great.

thats the goal!

Age does not play a factor... I know people in their 50's and 60's as newly hired train operators. Doing well down here! :)

Thats great news!  Im hoping things work out for the best, finding a secure gig has been the goal for me and my family.

Since this sunday is the first day of the multiple-choice test. I wanna wish everyone taking it good luck and push forward. My exam is on the 21 of may at midwood high school at 8:30 in the morning good lord. Gonna need a good night sleep for this one. 

Edited by DrewMania

Good evening everyone.

where can i get the passbook?

Since this sunday is the first day of the multiple-choice test. I wanna wish everyone taking it good luck and push forward. My exam is on the 21 of may at midwood high school at 8:30 in the morning good lord. Gonna need a good night sleep for this one.

Mine is too but at 2pm thankfully... I want to drive there so I'm hoping there's parking around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is too but at 2pm thankfully... I want to drive there so I'm hoping there's parking around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drove last time for the C/R exam and it took me forever to find parking so i'm just gonna take the iron horse and call it a day. I say leave a bit earlier so if anything you have time to find a good parking spot or hell might even get lucky and find one right around the corner. Good luck to you my ninja!!!

Hey all, I've been browsing this site for quite sometime and became a member last year. Great info being passed and hopefully I can do the same.

I'm on the list for track worker 3600 and yesterday took the TO 7604. While neither would benefit from some sort of study guide, the TO exam is slightly more difficult. There really isn't any preparation you can do for it because all information needed to pass the exam lies in the booklet provided. Like most have said here, the exam is testing your cognitive abilities. I.E if you can correctly deduce how to proceed after reading a service change notice, follow procedures, etc.

If anyone has specific questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck to all.

Edited by G13

Hey all, I've been browsing this site for quite sometime and became a member last year. Great info being passed and hopefully I can do the same.

I'm on the list for track worker 3600 and yesterday took the TO 7604. While neither would benefit from some sort of study guide, the TO exam is slightly more difficult. There really isn't any preparation you can do for it because all information needed to pass the exam lies in the booklet provided. Like most have said here, the exam is testing your cognitive abilities. I.E if you can correctly deduce how to proceed after reading a service change notice, follow procedures, etc.

If anyone has specific questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck to all.

Thanks for this.

Im taking the T/O this Saturday, and Ive been a bit nervous.  I went ahead and bought that book before I joined this forum and I cant help but feel like I may have wasted my time. Hoping for the best.  Thanks.

Thanks for this.

Im taking the T/O this Saturday, and Ive been a bit nervous. I went ahead and bought that book before I joined this forum and I cant help but feel like I may have wasted my time. Hoping for the best. Thanks.

It happens i think we all got caught at least once with them books. But best bet is to focus on the reading comprehension section. Just to get you back into the exam taking mood. They have some reading comp quiz online as well. A good nights rest and your good to go.

Word of advice use all available time giving to you. Even if you finish early go back and retake it. You'll never know what mistakes you might find. Always cover yourself. ✊????✊????✊????

Edited by DrewMania

It happens i think we all got caught at least once with them books. But best bet is to focus on the reading comprehension section. Just to get you back into the exam taking mood. They have some reading comp quiz online as well. A good nights rest and your good to go.

Word of advice use all available time giving to you. Even if you finish early go back and retake it. You'll never know what mistakes you might find. Always cover yourself. ✊✊✊

I realize that you cannot give specifics on questions asked and so forth, but can you elaborate on how difficult you thought that the test was given the reading comprehension and so forth? I, myself, am not the best test taker. It's the process of reading it over and then absorbing the information and answering questions on it afterwards. I have trouble because I usually need to re-read it over again. 

I realize that you cannot give specifics on questions asked and so forth, but can you elaborate on how difficult you thought that the test was given the reading comprehension and so forth? I, myself, am not the best test taker. It's the process of reading it over and then absorbing the information and answering questions on it afterwards. I have trouble because I usually need to re-read it over again.

To be honest the difficulty depends on the individual. Like you i was a poor test taker. But what i can tell you is the online reading comprehension quizes i've google have Work. I haven't gotten nothing less then a 94 since i started doing them. Before i use to really struggle but i think most of it was just nerves because of failing.

So i say get yourself a good nights rest and remember to use all available time to you. It can make the difference from a 88 to a 96.

When's your test date?!

To be honest the difficulty depends on the individual. Like you i was a poor test taker. But what i can tell you is the online reading comprehension quizes i've google have Work. I haven't gotten nothing less then a 94 since i started doing them. Before i use to really struggle but i think most of it was just nerves because of failing.

It's funny you say that because I, personally, have been using this book to prep for the last exams I took, and, from my experience, the book helps. Therefore, I will be taking your advice when preparing for my future civil service exams.

Thanks again for the tip!