ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

I was 86* and now I'm 90*...u and I will probably be in the same class

Yep, if everything is smooth sailing it looks that way! But, I hope they pass me over for this. I'm kinda nervous about this position after what was said at orientation. The money is great, but I don't know if it's worth giving up my life for. I'm crossing my fingers that transit will call me for BO instead. I think buses will be less stressful. Plus, I already have my CDL!

1 minute ago, candorgreen said:

I must have missed the letter.  What do I do?  Should I call them or something?

You could call or email them to find out what list# they are up to. Honestly, I wouldn't get too crazy over it because that was provisional positions that they were calling. They are starting from the actual certified list now. I'm not sure but I think they got up to the 600's. If you are low 1100, you will probably get called next year. Call them to see what number was last hired. 

19 minutes ago, msmcmillan said:

You could call or email them to find out what list# they are up to. Honestly, I wouldn't get too crazy over it because that was provisional positions that they were calling. They are starting from the actual certified list now. I'm not sure but I think they got up to the 600's. If you are low 1100, you will probably get called next year. Call them to see what number was last hired. 

To be fair, my original list number was 1315, which was the first letter I received.  The second letter had my list number as 86*.  So if they were hiring from the first list (before they adjusted it), then I probably wouldn't have been called for anything yet, right?  That seems like the most likely scenario.

43 minutes ago, msmcmillan said:

I called recently and they said they're starting at 0. And they didn't know when the next class will be called. About B/O, idk. Remember, you're the station agent, operator, and conductor rolled into one. And I've heard many stories where b/o's were taken OOS for the stupidity of pedestrians. 

You will literally be held liable for the walking public's idiocy. I know that T/O comes with challenges in itself" but at least the training is longer, to give you more time to acclimate. And I love trains. But you gotta do what works for u. I wasn't successful when recently training for B/O. But you just well may!

25 minutes ago, candorgreen said:

To be fair, my original list number was 1315, which was the first letter I received.  The second letter had my list number as 86*.  So if they were hiring from the first list (before they adjusted it), then I probably wouldn't have been called for anything yet, right?  That seems like the most likely scenario.

Yeah that’s probably what happened. I don’t think they had gotten to the thousands when they were calling provisionally. 

1 minute ago, MarkGuy said:

I called recently and they said they're starting at 0. And they didn't know when the next class will be called. About B/O, idk. Remember, you're the station agent, operator, and conductor rolled into one. And I've heard many stories where b/o's were taken OOS for the stupidity of pedestrians. 

You will literally be held liable for the walking public's idiocy. I know that T/O comes with challenges in itself" but at least the training is longer, to give you more time to acclimate. And I love trains. But you gotta do what works for u. I wasn't successful when recently training for B/O. But you just well may!

B/O has its challenges also. I hear stories from my husband daily lol. 

1 hour ago, msmcmillan said:

Yep, if everything is smooth sailing it looks that way! But, I hope they pass me over for this. I'm kinda nervous about this position after what was said at orientation. The money is great, but I don't know if it's worth giving up my life for. I'm crossing my fingers that transit will call me for BO instead. I think buses will be less stressful. Plus, I already have my CDL!

The training is completely different for B/O I agree, 10 days, then they throw you to the wolves lol. With T/O the training is longer in the sense the information is A LOT more. Right now the biggest challenge for me was getting used to the new 7am start, but a month in I'm already adjusted! They weren't lying when they said you wouldn't have much of a social life unless you want to risk it and be partying night before class. I am in the B division and going from Brooklyn one day or two then the Bronx the third is tough. Like another member said, you have to decide what's best for you. Can't lie having the weekends off now is a plus, I catch up on a lot of sleep lol. 

9 minutes ago, Imhim said:

The training is completely different for B/O I agree, 10 days, then they throw you to the wolves lol. With T/O the training is longer in the sense the information is A LOT more. Right now the biggest challenge for me was getting used to the new 7am start, but a month in I'm already adjusted! They weren't lying when they said you wouldn't have much of a social life unless you want to risk it and be partying night before class. I am in the B division and going from Brooklyn one day or two then the Bronx the third is tough. Like another member said, you have to decide what's best for you. Can't lie having the weekends off now is a plus, I catch up on a lot of sleep lol. 

In my opinion, the B/O training is way too short. For comparison, NJ Transit B/O training lasts 21-25 days! Technically MTA bus training is only about three real days (Day 1 you just fill out paperwork at Zerega and don't even get on a bus! Days 5 to 6 are "observation days. You get a chance to qualify day 7 only if you do great days 5 and 6.

If you fail day 7, retraining on day 8, them two more final attempts on days 9 and 10. I almost passed on Day 10 b%c it took me a bit longer to be able to block out my super's hard critiques and develop that inner confidence. I mostly did great, until I hit a tricky turn. But it is what it is. Tbh, I wanted T/O from the start; B/O just called first.

By the way, you know transit says things just to scare you, right? I can promise you'll hear just as bad' if not worse, during B/O training. I learned that lesson the hard way. Just tune it out and focus on the tasks at hand they give you.

Hi, where did you go to get your CDL (school) ? I failed the permit test Three times now. I passed the P endorsement.

23 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

In my opinion, the B/O training is way too short. For comparison, NJ Transit B/O training lasts 21-25 days! Technically MTA bus training is only about three real days (Day 1 you just fill out paperwork at Zerega and don't even get on a bus! Days 5 to 6 are "observation days. You get a chance to qualify day 7 only if you do great days 5 and 6.

If you fail day 7, retraining on day 8, them two more final attempts on days 9 and 10. I almost passed on Day 10 b%c it took me a bit longer to be able to block out my super's hard critiques and develop that inner confidence. I mostly did great, until I hit a tricky turn. But it is what it is. Tbh, I wanted T/O from the start; B/O just called first.

Yeah man I know a few B/Os and they let me know how it goes, my license wasn't nowhere near good enough to get B/O lol. And I agree with your last post about negative stuff being sad. Listen by no means is it easy, unless you're a train buff and have been studying trains your whole life, lol. Fresh off the street, you have to put in the time and study if this is what you want to do. Again that pay check is a good motivational tool, lol, what other school do you get paid to attend, then when you graduate get a secured job, lol. It's getting better daily honestly, the TSS's are a great help, your classmates if you guys work together, get along, you all will be fine! 

1 hour ago, candorgreen said:

Correct, I'm 36* and haven't gotten a pre-employment letter yet.

13 minutes ago, Imhim said:

Yeah man I know a few B/Os and they let me know how it goes, my license wasn't nowhere near good enough to get B/O lol. And I agree with your last post about negative stuff being sad. Listen by no means is it easy, unless you're a train buff and have been studying trains your whole life, lol. Fresh off the street, you have to put in the time and study if this is what you want to do. Again that pay check is a good motivational tool, lol, what other school do you get paid to attend, then when you graduate get a secured job, lol. It's getting better daily honestly, the TSS's are a great help, your classmates if you guys work together, get along, you all will be fine! 

That's the plan when I get the call. Study like Hell, especially since the signal exam is 100 or else. I just hope failing B/O doesn't harm my chances. It's not easy even if you are a train buff (which I consider myself). But this is my other dream career. So Im all in.

1 hour ago, Rush1982 said:

Pre-employment letter for Nov.2 list # 31x. 

6 minutes ago, Imhim said:

🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽 Congrats, start preparing your prior work and living history, bring snacks lol, you’ll be there all day!

And it begins 🍾🍾 congrats!!

1 hour ago, Rush1982 said:

Pre-employment letter for Nov.2 list # 31x. 

Bring a charger and make sure your phone is 100 percent charged. The day I went I spent almost 4 hours waiting to get my drug test done and my phone was dead lol it was torture