ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, rcabrer1 said:

Passed medical and got sworn in and appointed for the Nov 26th class. I'm list number 23*

Hey congratulations man!!  How long did it take them to contact you from the point you took the drug test?  And what pre-employment date were you at? Just trying to get a time frame on it.  I appreciate it.  And once again congrats and wish you the best in your new journey as a Train Operator!

1 hour ago, msmcmillan said:

Hey guys, I have a question about this exam and switching titles.

I told a co-worker that retired from MTA a few years ago that I received a pre-employment letter for T/O but I'm declining it. He said that is a stupid move and I should start the process because if you find being a T/O too much you can downgrade to B/O. I heard of downgrading to Cleaner title, but not a B/O. Maybe that was true when he was at MTA, but I don't think that is true today. He said because it is a promotional title you can transfer without being on the B/O list. Have any of you heard of such a thing? I told him you can only transfer if you are on the list and called for that title. He said no, and we argued for hours. 

If anyone is knowledgeable about this, please clarify. Honestly, I think I'm right! 

Bus operators can take a promotion to train operator and return to their title within 1 year if they wish. Someone off the street who gets hired off this list can't just do what that person described to you. You need a CDL to become a B/O, for this title you need a regular drivers license. I don't know why that person gave you that info, but whatever. To put it short if you get hired off the street from this list ypu can't take a demotion to B/O

Honestly the job isn't for everyone and it will be a major lifestyle change if you're coming from a regular 9-5, but the beauty of the MTA is you don't have to stay in one title forever you can always move up. I'm finding that I don't enjoy being a conductor and I plan on taking the next promo list to T/O or any other test I can to get off the road. There's ample opportunity down here to move up if that's your thing. "Fortunately" for me I have to be down here 30+ years just to meet the 25/55 requirement and I refuse to pound the road for that many years.

27 minutes ago, rcabrer1 said:

Passed medical and got sworn in and appointed for the Nov 26th class. I'm list number 23*

Now that’s what I’m talking about. 

Congratulations brother, just finished my 3rd lab and PE today. Was told my medical should be next week for nov 26.  

This will be and outstanding class. 

You should be very happy and proud, my dad and grandfather were To’s, and never made under 100k since mid 2000’s. 

Your set for life. 

4 minutes ago, TO legacy said:

Now that’s what I’m talking about. 

Congratulations brother, just finished my 3rd lab and PE today. Was told my medical should be next week for nov 26.  

This will be and outstanding class. 

You should be very happy and proud, my dad and grandfather were To’s, and never made under 100k since mid 2000’s. 

Your set for life. 

The crazy part is that it doesn't even require much overtime to hit 100k. 10 hours of OT a week which is an extra 2 hours a day will put u over 100. Can't wait. 

Edited by acabral136

26 minutes ago, SeanH525 said:

Hey, I was also there (one of those 12 people) and I can confirm I didn’t get any call or e-mail yet either. Hopefully we’ll hear something by Friday.

Yea what a day.  Im sure we spoke to each other at one point.  If I hear anything i will let you know.  

4 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

The crazy part is that it doesn't have even require much overtime to hit 100k. 10 hours of OT a week which is an extra 2 hours a day will put u over 100. Can't wait. 

Exactly. 

Mans please believe, there is way more than that available. 

I’m  an over time whore at metro north, and that involveds removing track and hamming ties down with a sledge. 

If asked to do a round trip, I’m gonna take all of that. 

Congrads. 

You earned it.  Your family is set for life. 

Also, do the 401k immediately, we’ll worth it. 

Edited by TO legacy

1 minute ago, TO legacy said:

Exactly. 

Mans please believe, there is way more than that available. 

I’m  an over time whore at metro north, and that involveds removing track and hamming ties down with a sledge. 

If asked to do a round trip, I’m gonna take all of that. 

Congrads. 

You earned it.  Your family is set for life. 

Also, do the 401k immediately, we’ll worth it. 

Yea between this and my wife's teaching salary, we will be set at retirement. That's the ultimate goal, retire before 60 and travel the world. This will definitely put us on the right track. 

6 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

Yea between this and my wife's teaching salary, we will be set at retirement. That's the ultimate goal, retire before 60 and travel the world. This will definitely put us on the right track. 

Please believe, your on the right track. Alll my family that are To’s travel the world and are fully loaded. 

Great vacations, $20 medical co pays maximum, big houses and great work environments. 

Rest up and be ready to inhale all the information from school car the 26th. 

You seem intelligent so your gonna do good. 

Cant wait to get my date, my dad and grandfather call me daily to see where I’m at. 

They both cried when I scored a 95, cant wait to tell them I’m in. 

Edited by TO legacy

1 hour ago, rcabrer1 said:

Congrats!!!! At first all the information is going to seem like a lot, I’m in the B division, but once it clicks for you, like it did for me, you’re gonna be like it’s really not that bad! Taking my first yard practical Friday and not nearly as nervous or paranoid as I first was! Ask questions!!! If you don’t know something, trust me ask until you get it! You’ll also get used to the 7am starts eventually lol, congrats again! 

4 minutes ago, Imhim said:

Congrats!!!! At first all the information is going to seem like a lot, I’m in the B division, but once it clicks for you, like it did for me, you’re gonna be like it’s really not that bad! Taking my first yard practical Friday and not nearly as nervous or paranoid as I first was! Ask questions!!! If you don’t know something, trust me ask until you get it! You’ll also get used to the 7am starts eventually lol, congrats again! 

Curious. How many signals are there to memorize? And how are you studying for them?

10 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Curious. How many signals are there to memorize? And how are you studying for them?

It’s a lot of signals but they are similar in some ways, the way you define them. Get flash cards draw them on one side and put the meaning on the other side and practice! Again you will find your own tricks on memorizing, categorize some, others you really have to study, I seen an old version of the signal guide and it looked like another language! Now I look at it and laugh, like oh yeah that’s this, that’s that signal! Again don’t let the amount of information that’s getting thrown at you get you discouraged! Just participate in class and make sure you utilize your TSS’s that’s why they’re there lol. 

1 minute ago, Imhim said:

It’s a lot of signals but they are similar in some ways, the way you define them. Get flash cards draw them on one side and put the meaning on the other side and practice! Again you will find your own tricks on memorizing, categorize some, others you really have to study, I seen an old version of the signal guide and it looked like another language! Now I look at it and laugh, like oh yeah that’s this, that’s that signal! Again don’t let the amount of information that’s getting thrown at you get you discouraged! Just participate in class and make sure you utilize your TSS’s that’s why they’re there lol. 

Ok. Ill try the flash card thing. I heard there are about 70 diff ones to memorize? Not sure.

9 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Ok. Ill try the flash card thing. I heard there are about 70 diff ones to memorize? Not sure.

lol yeah give or take. Trust it's not that bad once you write them a million times on the daily quizzes, you read them over and over, you'll be fine! Also don't get caught up on just the signals, understand the functions of the train, cause that's a big thing as well! Understanding why your train does something and what's the procedure to fix it! Looking back from when I first started, I'm like damn, learned all them signals, some flagging, and 6 different trains, not bad, lol. 

Just now, Imhim said:

lol yeah give or take. Trust it's not that bad once you write them a million times on the daily quizzes, you read them over and over, you'll be fine! Also don't get caught up on just the signals, understand the functions of the train, cause that's a big thing as well! Understanding why your train does something and what's the procedure to fix it! Looking back from when I first started, I'm like damn, learned all them signals, some flagging, and 6 different trains, not bad, lol. 

Thank you! Just finished drug test today.

12 hours ago, msmcmillan said:

Hey guys, I have a question about this exam and switching titles.

I told a co-worker that retired from MTA a few years ago that I received a pre-employment letter for T/O but I'm declining it. He said that is a stupid move and I should start the process because if you find being a T/O too much you can downgrade to B/O. I heard of downgrading to Cleaner title, but not a B/O. Maybe that was true when he was at MTA, but I don't think that is true today. He said because it is a promotional title you can transfer without being on the B/O list. Have any of you heard of such a thing? I told him you can only transfer if you are on the list and called for that title. He said no, and we argued for hours. 

If anyone is knowledgeable about this, please clarify. Honestly, I think I'm right! 

What he speaks of is true (at least was at one point). T/O is a TA position they have B/O positions as TA. You can take a promotional exam from B/O to T/O if your TA only. If your OA or MTA bus you can’t be promoted into that title. You have to take a  Open competitive exam. But if you was already a B/O you can downgrade back into a B/O from a T/O but once again you have to be TA already. 

16 hours ago, NYCQuietStorm said:

Yea what a day.  Im sure we spoke to each other at one point.  If I hear anything i will let you know.  

Same here. I doubt we’ll be waiting too long since they want to fill that 11/26 class. If by some chance we miss the cut on that, I remember them saying that there are two more classes they’re looking to schedule in the next couple of months. What’s a little more waiting at this point haha