ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

10 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

You accure a vacation day for every month on the job up until the max of 10 days. Those accured days become available for use on January 1st of the following year. You need at least 5 days to be able to pick for a week of vacation. Anything less and they will just be vacation days that you can request off with.

So let's say you start in June, that will give you 6 months of service and 6 vacation days accured. On January 1st, you will get them to use. Towards the end of the year, you will pick a vacation week (which will use up 5 days) and have an extra day left over that you can use whenever within the year.

The accural cycle begins again in January so on January 1st, 2020, you will have accured 10 days (for the 10 months you worked in 2019) and you will be able to pick 2 weeks of vacation. Rinse and repeat until you get 4 weeks of vacation after 3 years and then again for 5 weeks after 15 years. 

Thanks very much. What happens if i have a wedding to go to overseas next summer? I’m assuming i won’t be able to pick vacation in summer, am i screwed?

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, njbk said:

Thanks very much. What happens if i have a wedding to go to overseas next summer? I’m assuming i won’t be able to pick vacation in summer, am i screwed?

Not outright but requesting time off in the summer months is very competitive. Not impossible, but it can be hard. Again, assuming that you start next month:

-You will be eligible for AVA accural (holidays) after 90 days of service. So let's say September for arguments sake. 

-You accure Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Xmas Day, New Year's Day, MLK Day, Memorial Day. That's 7 days.

-You will accure your 6 vacation days in January. (You can convert 1 vacation week back into days)

-Any overtime that you earn, you can defer being paid the straight time into your OTO bank. 8:00 becomes a day. You can have 108 hours (need to fact check that, hold on) of OTO. So that's at least 9 days worth. 

So 13 firm days to play with. In RTO, you have to call in to the IVR 20 or less days out from the date you want to take off and submit your request. There are crew assignment sheets that are posted daily and if you find your name next to the date that you requested, you have it off. You would have to do this for each one of the days you need. The only guarantee days you are going to have off are your regular days off. 

All of this will make more sense when you start and I'm sure someone in RTO can explain it better to you.

@I Run Trains @SubwayGuy @RTOMan

Got a letter today telling me I didn't qualify because they couldn't verify my foreign education. I have an American bachelors degree but a foreign high school diploma. Should the BA be equivalent to a High School Diploma? 

5 minutes ago, Harlem said:

Got a letter today telling me I didn't qualify because they couldn't verify my foreign education. I have an American bachelors degree but a foreign high school diploma. Should the BA be equivalent to a High School Diploma? 

I would call and double check this. I called and asked if i could bring a copy of my college diploma instead of my high school and they said yes. 

38 minutes ago, njbk said:

I would call and double check this. I called and asked if i could bring a copy of my college diploma instead of my high school and they said yes. 

Thanks. Did you get the letter as well? Did you drop off the information. 

3 hours ago, GGTrain said:

Hi, scored 93.3333, list number 10xx. Thought I did better.  I am one of the oldest to take the test I think.  Not sure if I will take the job if called. I have been retired from my profession for nearly 10 years.  Maybe I'll frame my call letter. I know of some retired guys taking the job as a hobby because it was their dream job as a child.  They stay until 62 or 65  (3 to 5 years) then call it quits.  It was my dream job as a child, but I should have taken the test in 2009.  Anyway, I heard the training was tough with a lot of people who could not make the cut after being called.

As long as you are qualified, TA will keep you as long as you want to keep working.  There are some people who take jobs here for the extra income, second pension, health insurance for themselves or their spouse, or from what I see, to get out of the house so they can shirk the honey-do list.

16 minutes ago, Harlem said:

Thanks. Did you get the letter as well? Did you drop off the information. 

I got the pre employment letter but didn’t go yet (trying to delay my start a bit). 

Man, this IS exciting lol...but I would like to take the time to point something out that may matter, or it may not matter as far as our exam scores are concerned. Back in 2009, when the other exam was given, (#8098 I believe), some 11,000 people were listed as having passing scores if I recall the article correctly. Someone may have the link to it on here, or you can just Google search it. So, just for fun, what I elected to do is take my number and score and compare it with the score of the person named on 8098's list. As it turns out, they scored 4 points give or take higher than I did. So, while it may not make too much of a difference with wait time to get called, I feel that my odds of actually getting called have gone up ten fold. It was just something interesting to compare or contrast with - the last exam. They exhausted that list also if I am correct. So, one could argue in a strange sense that I got a 90 lol 😂..

Edited by JV620

5 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

Hmmm.  To APPEAL or not to APPEAL.  is it worth appealing just for 3.3333 points??  I mean.......really......

3 points can be the difference of you picking Sun-Sat off or getting beat to it by your classmate ahead of you. It can be as small as that or having to wait 3 months to get into the next class because someone with 2 points over you made the last spot. 

Also the way everyone has been posting about how they are being errenously graded or DQ'd, I would definitely make sure everything is 100% right. 

2 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

3 points can be the difference of you getting Sun-Sat or getting beat to it by your classmate ahead of you. It can be as small as that or having to wait 3 months to get into the next class because someone with 2 points over you made the last spot. 

Noted!!!

2 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

Oh a question.  If there are Gaps (both small and big gaps) in your job history....... do they NOT LIKE that?  Will you get disqualified for lack of work for a few months to a few years?  

No, when it comes to filling out the employment history, they want you to note that you were unemployed between those times. Unemployed could be going to school, etc.

4 hours ago, pjoner said:

Does anyone have an idea of how many passed the test? Lowest number I have seen thus far is around 2800. 

I am around 2100 with a score of a 90. 

Hard to say at this point since DCAS hasn’t posted scores online yet. 70 is passing score so you can guesstimate. Just for comparison there were over 31000 people that passed the C/R exam.  

5 hours ago, thegameksk said:

Really? Why do you say that?

Reason i say that if you notice list numbers are high even for people with very low scores so that kind gives you a idea of how the list will unfold. They may even make it to the 70’s. 

Edited by DrewMania
Spelling.

2 hours ago, trackerjack said:

Hmmm.  To APPEAL or not to APPEAL.  is it worth appealing just for 3.3333 points??  I mean.......really......

I’m appealing...my dream job is to work for Fdny..this was my backup. If I could get a higher number & start earlier then why not. I doubt it’ll hurt my score.