ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

Hi everyone,

Having a problem with the website.I registered to take the exam (7604) online was about about to pay the $82 then the screen changed on me.

I've tried to click everywhere on the website to go back and make the payment but there's no way to go back. I checked the status of my application on the site and it say payment pending.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I must say the site is very poorly designed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, I'm new here.. I've actually been waiting for a long time now for the TO test to come up, I applied last week with no issues thankfully... I do have a few questions for those who are knowledgeable with the upcoming test... I know the test and call ups will not be for a while but in the mean time I would like to have all my documents (ducks in order). I've had a valid NYS drives license since I was 17 (35 now), so not an issue and I've been employed by the same company/employer for over 15 years... so that's fine, I have a NYC GED as well... I sent a request to the DMV for my "lifetime abstract driving record" ... I've been driving for almost 20 years, many years ago I remember getting a speeding ticket and a few times been given a ticket for failure to stop at a stop sign and also running a red light violation, of course many years ago when I was a teenager and in my 20's. Will this be an issue with the requirements?

Also I've had some car accidents, now... I've never been summoned or gotten any traffic violations durning any of the car accidents I've had. I mean I've been rear ended more times than I can remember since I started driving here in Brooklyn, I've also been hit by a drunk driver, I've lost control of my Volkswagen in 2012 and totaled the car against a guard rail but never hit anyone and most of my insurance claims have been for my own car and no liability issues, would this be a problem with the requirements?

And finally I was thinking about buying a Train Operator Pass Book on Amazon, I've read and heard some very mixed reviews on this book, some People say don't waste your money and others swear by them, anyone have info or opinions on this book??

Train Operator(Passbooks) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0837310687/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rtSwybA017T5P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ypresman

Hey guys, I'm new here.. I've actually been waiting for a long time now for the TO test to come up, I applied last week with no issues thankfully... I do have a few questions for those who are knowledgeable with the upcoming test... I know the test and call ups will not be for a while but in the mean time I would like to have all my documents (ducks in order). I've had a valid NYS drives license since I was 17 (35 now), so not an issue and I've been employed by the same company/employer for over 15 years... so that's fine, I have a NYC GED as well... I sent a request to the DMV for my "lifetime abstract driving record" ... I've been driving for almost 20 years, many years ago I remember getting a speeding ticket and a few times been given a ticket for failure to stop at a stop sign and also running a red light violation, of course many years ago when I was a teenager and in my 20's. Will this be an issue with the requirements?

Also I've had some car accidents, now... I've never been summoned or gotten any traffic violations durning any of the car accidents I've had. I mean I've been rear ended more times than I can remember since I started driving here in Brooklyn, I've also been hit by a drunk driver, I've lost control of my Volkswagen in 2012 and totaled the car against a guard rail but never hit anyone and most of my insurance claims have been for my own car and no liability issues, would this be a problem with the requirements?

And finally I was thinking about buying a Train Operator Pass Book on Amazon, I've read and heard some very mixed reviews on this book, some People say don't waste your money and others swear by them, anyone have info or opinions on this book??

Train Operator(Passbooks) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0837310687/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rtSwybA017T5P

As long as you dont have any unpaid parking tickets when youre called for the pre-employment process (years after the actual test) youll be fine. If you have any dings on your record, make sure to disclose them. Any discrepancy, intentional or not, may disqualify you. This goes for criminal history as well.

I believe the test is all ready comprehension, with the exception of the new oral assessments added to this test. If you can read and comprehend commandsbin the english language, you should be good to go.

As long as you dont have any unpaid parking tickets when youre called for the pre-employment process (years after the actual test) youll be fine. If you have any dings on your record, make sure to disclose them. Any discrepancy, intentional or not, may disqualify you. This goes for criminal history as well.

I believe the test is all ready comprehension, with the exception of the new oral assessments added to this test. If you can read and comprehend commandsbin the english language, you should be good to go.

Thanks brotha, yea I was arrested when I was 16 years old for smoking pot with my friends.. I received a 6 month ACD "adjournment in contemplation of Dismissal" and my record was cleared and then sealed because I was a minor, I don't mind mentioning that just in case, and the DMV will provide me with any traffic violation that caused points in the mail soon.. I def will be truthful, I'm glad the car accidents aren't an issue since they were just regular fender benders... and if the test is reading comprehension strictly then it's not an issue at all since my job involves reading comprehension on a daily basis. I appreciate all the help and information.

Thanks brotha, yea I was arrested when I was 16 years old for smoking pot with my friends.. I received a 6 month ACD "adjournment in contemplation of Dismissal" and my record was cleared and then sealed because I was a minor, I don't mind mentioning that just in case, and the DMV will provide me with any traffic violation that caused points in the mail soon.. I def will be truthful, I'm glad the car accidents aren't an issue since they were just regular fender benders... and if the test is reading comprehension strictly then it's not an issue at all since my job involves reading comprehension on a daily basis. I appreciate all the help and information.

From what i gather, having a record doesnt disqualify you, lying about it does. You should be good to go.

Hi All...Just a question about the 'How To Qualify' part of the Notice of Examination. I currently reside in Massachusetts, so I do not have a NYS drivers license  :( . But I do obviously have a valid Massachusetts license. And a CDL at that. From the way that I read the qualifications, as long as I have a valid drivers license that I can operate in the state of New York, I should be good, but on the other hand before I pay the $82.00 to apply to take the test, I just would like to confirm this as it may be that only people who have a NYS drivers license are eligible to take the test and not really anyone from out of state. Can anyone speak to what the actual requirement is? 

Thanks. 

Edited by JV620

Your drivers license must be VALID in the State of New York. 

If you can operate a motor vehicle with a license issued from the United States state/commonwealth of   insert name of state/commonwealth here   in the state of New York, then your license is valid in the state of New York.

Edited by 161NewYork

Your drivers license must be VALID in the State of New York. 

If you can operate a motor vehicle with a license issued from the United States state/commonwealth of   insert name of state/commonwealth here   in the state of New York, then your license is valid in the state of New York.

Thank You for the clarification on that. Much appreciated.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone received anything from the mta yet? When should we expect something?

Has anyone received anything from the mta yet? When should we expect something?

Scroll down to where it says admission letter. Everything you need to know is on the NOE:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/pdf_exams/7604.pdf

ADMISSION LETTER

An Admission Letter will be mailed to you about 10 days before the first date of the multiple-choice test. If you do not receive an Admission Letter at least 4 days before the first date of the multiple-choice test, you may obtain a duplicate letter at the MTA Exam Information Center (as indicated above). A paper copy of the Admission Letter is your ticket for admission to the test.

Employees must keep their official mailing address up to date. Only the address on file with the MTA Business Service Center will be used to mail correspondence, including the Admission Letter

Edited by elantra06

Don't waste your time or money on those books. It won't help you in the least. The test is pure reading comprehension and common sense. Just take your time reading the questions and review your answers and you'll be fine. But honestly none of these exams are very difficult so don't stress needing to study for the exam.

Station Supervisor Level I

Don't waste your time or money on those books. It won't help you in the least. The test is pure reading comprehension and common sense. Just take your time reading the questions and review your answers and you'll be fine. But honestly none of these exams are very difficult so don't stress needing to study for the exam.

Thanks Will... really appreciate the advice.

Someone I know borrowed one from the library and it was dated from the 80's i doubt any of those questions would be on the exam. The most I would bring with me that day is a calculator just in case.

Yes that's very true. Not only that those books just have a series of questions with outdated terms, with the answers in the back of the book. But they don't explain to you why they're right or wrong. So that doesn't help you in the least bit. Because they don't explain any policies or procedures. Plus they questions they ask are far harder than any questions ions they'll ever ask on the exam.

Yes that's very true. Not only that those books just have a series of questions with outdated terms, with the answers in the back of the book. But they don't explain to you why they're right or wrong. So that doesn't help you in the least bit. Because they don't explain any policies or procedures. Plus they questions they ask are far harder than any questions ions they'll ever ask on the exam.

I had a friend get one for the past conductor exam. We looked over it and I told him not to rely on that test book because the questions were crazy and hard to understand. When he took the exam he failed it and, None of those questions from the book were on the test nor did it really prepare him for it. It's just a waste of time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I had a friend get one for the past conductor exam. We looked over it and I told him not to rely on that test book because the questions were crazy and hard to understand. When he took the exam he failed it and, None of those questions from the book were on the test nor did it really prepare him for it. It's just a waste of time and money.

I'll agree 100%...for those folks who might be curious, like I was, in an effort to save some money, I got one of these books out of the Queens Library. From looking through the book several times, I initially thought 95% of the book was a waste and I decided to focus on the 5% which I thought was valuable, which was primarily reading comprehension. After taking the test, I would agree in which 100% of that book is a waste of time and $$.

Based on the previous civil service exams I took and the Notice of Examination for this exam, if you folks want to prep for this exam (or any other NYC Transit civil service exam), I would borrow some reading comprehension books from your local library and just tackle those passages over and over until you understand the 'jist' behind all of it.

Seriously these exams aren't that difficult to feel the need to not feel prepared. I've taken several of them and passed with good scores without studying one day. Only real TA exams you need to study for are promo exams because they expect you to actually have knowledge of the job you're trying to promote to. For OC exams they're just trying to see if you can comprehend information relayed to you correctly.

Seriously these exams aren't that difficult to feel the need to not feel prepared. I've taken several of them and passed with good scores without studying one day. Only real TA exams you need to study for are promo exams because they expect you to actually have knowledge of the job you're trying to promote to. For OC exams they're just trying to see if you can comprehend information relayed to you correctly.

I work for the city and the promotional exam was so hard for my title l our union had to offer classes for people who wanted tutoring. Now I can understand buying a study book for a promotional exam if they have one. It's just basic stuff on open competitive. Just take your time double check you answers. I have never bought or study for a open competitive exam.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Update:

If you folks click here (as of this posting) and scroll down to the bottom, it says the following:

NYC Transit Train Operator, Exam No. 7604 (NEW)

The multiple-choice test for this exam is scheduled to be held across multiple dates in May and June 2017. The first date will be May 13, 2017. Additional information regarding the other test dates will be provided at a later date. Regardless of the date on which you are scheduled, all candidates whose applications were complete should receive an admission letter by April 24, 2017. If you know your application was complete and do not receive an admission letter by April 24, 2017, please call us at 347-643-7221 or email us at examsunit@nyct.com.

• 1 month later...