Renderings reveal ‘reimagined’ NYC subway cars, stations

Precisely. The MTA/NYPD can put a new rule on the books banning food and drinks in the subway, but unless said rule is enforced, nothing will come from it. Case and point, Showtime performances and panhandlers continue to be a presence in the subways despite similar rules against both practices. Really, what do you expect to happen with a food ban?

Y'all need to take a seat and realize the MTA/NYPD don't have the resources, and don't care enough, to inspect every second of video footage ever recorded on a subway train.

Who is y'all? Seems like only one person recommended video footage...

Precisely. The MTA/NYPD can put a new rule on the books banning food and drinks in the subway, but unless said rule is enforced, nothing will come from it. Case and point, Showtime performances and panhandlers continue to be a presence in the subways despite similar rules against both practices. Really, what do you expect to happen with a food ban?

Sure they continue to be, but their presence certainly isn't as bad as it was before.  Nobody expects the police to spend all of their time on this, but let's be honest here.  For $2.75 riders don't deserve to have to risk being kicked in the face just trying to get to work or get home, and I've seen this happen on several trains where those crazy showtime performances come oh so close to kicking people in the face or head, swinging off of the poles and such.  Saw one guy get a rude awakening trying a stunt... Said to myself... Good for his @ss... The real issue with that is the idiots that give them money who annoy the hell out of me.  If no one one gave them money, there would be fewer of them going around with or without police crackdowns.  The (MTA) already designated spots in numerous subway stations where real artists can play and receive money for their work.  What these people do should not be condoned in any way shape or form.  It endangers peoples' safety, and quite frankly holds up service, as these buffoons run onto the train at the last minute holding up the doors, mainly on during rush hour.

And also it would be massively counterproductive.

If people don't have the time to eat at home, and must snack on the train, that seems more indicative of a larger societal problem...

Not really... They already have cops that write up summonses for people who put their feet on the seats, etc.  All they would have to do is have cops do blitzes, which have been quite successful in the past.  If cops are already patrolling the trains (as I've seen on numerous occasions) why not have them be productive instead of just standing around on the trains or platforms?  My understanding is that they already have undercover plain clothes cops on the subways anyway, but those cops are mainly looking for sexual assaults/gropers.

Not really... They already have cops that write up summonses for people who put their feet on the seats, etc.  All they would have to do is have cops do blitzes, which have been quite successful in the past. 

I didn't mean ticketing people who make a mess of their subway car, I meant banning food period

I didn't mean ticketing people who make a mess of their subway car, I meant banning food period

Food isn't technically allowed on buses though people still eat on them, but there seems to be far more people having meals on the subways.  If people weren't such slobs and didn't broadcast their activities on the subway, this would be a non-issue.  

this might be useful if the mta actually gets around to renovating one of the really crappy stations (e.g. chambers street on the  (J)  (Z) ) but tbh the money's better off being used on establishing timely maintenance of existing stations

I have no real backing for this, but I feel the J/Z platforms at Chambers St are in such bad shape and so large that it would take years and millions of dollars to refurbish correctly. IIRC, many of the stations on the docket to be refurbished here are small, low-ridership local stations that have two side platforms. Each one would cost less than a million and only be out of service for a few months.

I have no real backing for this, but I feel the J/Z platforms at Chambers St are in such bad shape and so large that it would take years and millions of dollars to refurbish correctly. IIRC, many of the stations on the docket to be refurbished here are small, low-ridership local stations that have two side platforms. Each one would cost less than a million and only be out of service for a few months.

Correct. These stations are "prototypes" for later renovations that are more "difficult".

I believe I mentioned this in another thread, but the purpose of these rapid renovations is to get the job done as quickly as possible, usually within a six-month time frame. The conditions at Chambers St have deteriorated so much over the years that it would be impossible to complete that kind of renovation/restoration in such a short time span.

Archived