Decision made in (L) closure

RailRunRob

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way is that gonna happen. The (MTA) would not take this well. Also, did the guys who proposed this idea really think about the capacity Court Square could take with this? 

Court Square isn’t even a proper terminal. The middle track was clearly for holding revenue trains or work trains. Throwing the (E) into the mix would prevent it from running 15 TPH due to the inefficiency of Court Square’s configuration.

lol 

Anyways, about that (E) proposal... 

No way is that gonna happen. The (MTA) would not take this well. Also, did the guys who proposed this idea really think about the capacity Court Square could take with this? 

The short answer more than likely is no.  Generally speaking from what I've learnt over the past few years in revisiting the world transit is that unless you have a background in transit or some type of transit planning engineering or railroad management, these concepts, for the most part, are out of grasp for most they can't see nor understand the complexity of the big picture.  In this guys defence, He did have some sense to understand the layout out of the station and it's the immediate area and attributes. So it wasn't fully just a shot in the dark.  Just not far enough to link the things that connect. Like the line in general feeding into the station. breakpoints and funnelling issues with increased traffic and to larger exsent rolling stock availability and assignment.  As CenSin said with the proposed terminal limitations. One would have to do to their due diligence on that especially if they fully understood the process. So I'd have to say he doesn't understand the Subway as an infrastructure but like most more as a map and dot's to connect. 

The (E) via (G) has an issue with the switch construction at Hoyt, I agree, but this capacity claim seems ridiculous. The underused Rutgers Tube could easily accommodate (C) or (E) service to ease the Cranberry, and there would be no stations unserved between West 4th and Jay St. 

The (E) via (G) has an issue with the switch construction at Hoyt, I agree, but this capacity claim seems ridiculous. The underused Rutgers Tube could easily accommodate (C) or (E) service to ease the Cranberry, and there would be no stations unserved between West 4th and Jay St. 

Would the switches at West Fourth be able to handle such a service. Also, as it was alredy mentioned, most L riders are not in that area. I think that (M) service should be incresed during the closure and extended to Rockaway Parkway so that those riders have a one-seat ride to Midtown.

And, pray tell, how would you shove the (E), (F), and (M) in between W4 and Bway-Lafayette? Cutting the (F) is nonsense, and the (M) is supposed to be boosted during the construction work.

Something would have to give under any plan to pull the (E) into Brooklyn. It's just a matter of which riders get the short end of the stick. If the (E) were to run via Cranberry with the (A) and (C), you run the risk of creating a logjam on the approaches to the Cranberry tubes because, even if only half of the (E) trains run to Brooklyn, that's still 25 trains per hour under less than ideal circumstances. More than likely, you'll have to cut some (C) trains to fit those (E) trains in. If those (E) trains run via Rutgers, it's already jumping into the mess that is the (F) and (M) via Houston St. As mentioned above, cutting service on the latter is absolutely not an option with the Canarsie tube closure.

Again, none of this addresses the big question, which is what is the point of sending the (E) up the Crosstown line? Who's commute is this supposed to improve? While this offers a direct service to Manhattan, it's too roundabout of a route to be useful, especially if riders are north of Bedford-Nostrand Avs on the Crosstown line. Most riders will use the Jamaica line for faster service to Manhattan via a transfer over a meandering one-seat ride to midtown west.

Could you maintain current headways with your plan?

Well, I guess with the (C) going away, you can't keep the current headways. I didn't think about that. How about making a new (H) or (K) service to run between 14 Street and Court Square?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or, maybe just a simple shuttle between 14 Street and Court Square

The Mall at the WTC is about to open two direct connections to the (E) terminus, so they'd look awful silly if the line were rerouted away from the complex.

How does that help supplement the (L)? The (E) looping around is way too confusing.

Well, I guess with the (C) going away, you can't keep the current headways. I didn't think about that. How about making a new (H) or (K) service to run between 14 Street and Court Square?

Or, maybe just a simple shuttle between 14 Street and Court Square

Where would you turn trains at 14th street? Also, what are planning for headways? And can Cranberry tubes handle the extra trains?

Would the switches at West Fourth be able to handle such a service. Also, as it was alredy mentioned, most L riders are not in that area. I think that (M) service should be incresed during the closure and extended to Rockaway Parkway so that those riders have a one-seat ride to Midtown.

I'd also like to see some (M) service to Rockaway Parkway during the closure. Maybe call it the (V) to distinguish it from the regular (M) to/from Metro.

What would happen if (E) ran into Brooklyn and replaced (C) making local stops to Euclid. Then (C) replaced (E) to World Trade Center and run to 168 St.

That would most likely be overserving the Fulton Local stations.

Could they then split the (E) so that half run to/from Euclid and the other half run onto the (G) line after Schermerhorn? Maybe use (H) or (K) for the Crosstown-bound trains.

I'd also like to see some (M) service to Rockaway Parkway during the closure. Maybe call it the (V) to distinguish it from the regular (M) to/from Metro.

Could they then split the (E) so that half run to/from Euclid and the other half run onto the (G) line after Schermerhorn? Maybe use (H) or (K) for the Crosstown-bound trains.

Lets just say there is a better chance of my previously proposed idea of re-routing the (C) to Canarsie (and shortening the (L) to Broadway Junction) with the (E) replacing the (C) to Euclid than the idea of building a new connection and having the (E) run with the (G) to Court Square.  

Archived