Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Dj Hammers

R68 G Electronic Sign Test Train Action!

The R68 electronic sign test train entered service today. It's pretty cool. I think it also has auto-announcement and stop information capabilities as well that are not yet cut in.

Enjoy, and please subscribe!

• Upvote 10

R68's start at 2500, thus the numbering is 2860-2861-2863-2862 if I'm not mistaken....

Anyway, whats the point of installing these now when this car class will be retired soon??

Very interesting. I was just thinking about this very idea this morning. I thought the plan to retrofit these cars with electronic signage died off. It'll be nice when they add the actual announcements onto these things.

R68's start at 2500, thus the numbering is 2860-2861-2863-2862 if I'm not mistaken....

Anyway, whats the point of installing these now when this car class will be retired soon??

The 62s and 68s have at least another decade on them before they will be retired. It makes sense they would add these to the cars that will likely be around through the majority of the 2020s. It would provide some of the same amenities that are found on the NTT fleet.

The 62s and 68s have at least another decade on them before they will be retired. It makes sense they would add these to the cars that will likely be around through the majority of the 2020s. It would provide some of the same amenities that are found on the NTT fleet.

Hmmm I suppose.... ^_^

I remember reading the RFP that went out to contractors for these, which noted that there were no additional pins in the electrical couplers between cars and that a novel approach would need to be devised to enable communication between the signs. Now, it's possible they just digitized the PA - so you have a data line connecting the sets which now has the full PA/CIS functions multiplexed together - or it's possible these use a wireless link. Wireless seems pretty logical and straightforward these days. Though - might be a lot of fun for somebody to do some packet sniffing, reverse engineer the protocol, and hack the displays. 

Not that I would ever do such a thing. 

Nice...so basically the 62's and 68's are getting the treatment the 46's got 20 years ago