Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
MassTransitHonchkrow

Lay of the Land

Hey guys. I just finished reading up on a post on my LinkedIn feed and I'm both satisfied and guilty at the same time:

http://humantransit.org/2016/07/elon-musk-doesnt-understand-geometry.html

I'm satisfied, because a problem like this, that NYC transit can easily relate to, has been identified.

I'm guilty, because I also made the same mistake as Mr. Musk throughout my comments on this forum. I live and am accustomed to the roils of suburban transit - the space, the scenery, the SPEED.

None of that exists within the city line whatsoever. The M10 is as close a feeling to the Bee-Line #14 I can get. Tree-lined, you face each other and are NOT two city blocks apart. But the Town of Cortlandt has something that even the M10 does not have along its curb: design mounding.

You see it in Sunset Park on 4th Ave (B35, B70), and on parts of Jerome Avenue (Bx10, Bee-Line 04/20/21). It's like those streets were designed to accommodate standees or buses. Or both.

This city has a design and legislative impediment that makes transit undesirable and unattractive, as costs become higher than profits, and damages exceed the rate of repair.

What do you think could be done to make the landscape work better with buses?

Queens Boulevard dirt throwing welcome.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Not much at the moment aside from reconfiguring the streets themselves I suppose.  I mean where streets can be widened, that's already being done in some cases.

• Upvote 1

Less stoplights, better positioned parking, those bypass tunnels they have on First and Park in midtown. Also light coordination.

Not much at the moment aside from reconfiguring the streets themselves I suppose. I mean where streets can be widened, that's already being done in some cases.

Dimensions are one part of the process. There's a culture that needs to be broken in that section of the city. Let's remind ourselves this is the same culture that has hobbled buses, made some depots into snake traps, and taken Ariel Russo's life.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk