MTA admits R62A A/C units are performing poorly

trainfan22

If you ride several different subway lines, you might have noticed a recent trend: one subway car model seems to have more busted A/C units than any other type.

"The majority of the hot cars that we've seen over the past couple of days have been the R62As," said MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz.

You probably know them as the 1 and 6 trains — as does the riding, tweeting public

The R62As date back to the Reagan Administration, and therein lies the problem. "The technology at the time provided for one compressor for each of the air units in the car," Ortiz said. "So if you lost that one compressor, you basically lost all of the air for that entire car."

Newer cars — or older cars that have been overhauled — are built differently. "They have separate HVAC systems, where if one fails, you can use another within that car," said Ortiz. And repairing them is simpler: the HVAC systems "are easily removable from the top of the trains." Almost like Lego, a broken HVAC unit can be popped off a train, repaired, and popped back on. But "that's not the case with the older technology cars," he said, "where you have to work on the entire component as a whole to address it."

Meanwhile, the city is in the thick of a heatwave, which usually exacerbates so-called "hot car" complaints.

Link with tweets...

http://www.wnyc.org/story/hot-subway-car-summer-city

I'm a witness! Hopped on a (1) the other day with a hot car like I hadn't felt one in years. Last summer the R42s had pretty terrible A/C, but at least you were outdoors for most of the time. Those cars are getting work done now and it's less of an issue. The (1) with no A/C is brutal underground. Think my set was in the 2380s, really brutal. Weirdly, the car I walked through to that had A/C was making bizarre noises with the compressor. We stopped at 79th for about 10 minutes and every 10 seconds it would start to spool up and then stop again, then repeat. Kind of maddening for that long, but at least there was air blowing.

lol... Makes sense... I hopped on the (6) the other day coming back from a meeting at Google and there was definitely a HUGE difference between that train and the (L) train I was on. Yet another reason I can't stand those cars in addition to the fact that the A/C seems to be concentrated in the middle of the car, which is why I never board anywhere else on those trains because there is no air elsewhere.  And here I was thinking that the (MTA) personnel were playing games with the A/C...  

I'm a witness! Hopped on a (1) the other day with a hot car like I hadn't felt one in years. Last summer the R42s had pretty terrible A/C, but at least you were outdoors for most of the time. Those cars are getting work done now and it's less of an issue. The (1) with no A/C is brutal underground. Think my set was in the 2380s, really brutal. Weirdly, the car I walked through to that had A/C was making bizarre noises with the compressor. We stopped at 79th for about 10 minutes and every 10 seconds it would start to spool up and then stop again, then repeat. Kind of maddening for that long, but at least there was air blowing.

Same. I was riding on the last car of an R62A (on the (1) BTW), and the 9th car was a hot one.

Also, air conditioners are dripping as well. This was onboard on an R62 (3) train and a R62A (1) train, both at the head car. (I forgot the car numbers for the last 2).

Same. I was riding on the last car of an R62A (on the (1) BTW), and the 9th car was a hot one.

Also, air conditioners are dripping as well. This was onboard on an R62 (3) train and a R62A (1) train, both at the head car. (I forgot the car numbers for the last 2).

That was the same situation I had--9th car hot, last car cool. Wonder if it was the same set or just a coincidence.

The ones on the (6) have been going thru problems too. Just yesterday I hoped on car 2035 I belived at 125th st but waited for another train. I turned to the guy next to me and said this is a damn atrocity. The other day I saw 1916-1920 consist, about three cars on that set had non-functioning A/C, 1918 was the worst. Also, a few days ago I spotted 2376-2380 on the (1) which was recently worked on for SMS and already one of the cars dont have air conditioning.

Complaining can be a two way street when it comes to the MTA, but with the current brutal heat wave and the R62As crapping air conditioners, it is truly ridiculous.

The ones on the (6) have been going thru problems too. Just yesterday I hoped on car 2035 I belived at 125th st but waited for another train. I turned to the guy next to me and said this is a damn atrocity. The other day I saw 1916-1920 consist, about three cars on that set had non-functioning A/C, 1918 was the worst. Also, a few days ago I spotted 2376-2380 on the (1) which was recently worked on for SMS and already one of the cars dont have air conditioning.

Complaining can be a two way street when it comes to the MTA, but with the current brutal heat wave and the R62As crapping air conditioners, it is truly ridiculous.

God forbid you complain... We're paying through the damn nose, the fares keep going up and the service continues to worsen.  

Crazy is that I remember when some trains didn't have A/C at all. How did people live?.. second I'm getting old  :lol:

Complaints about A/C are a far more valid complaint than most that people have about these old trains. The lack of functioning A/C can pose a health risk, and they are right to have problems with it. I'm usually in favour of the "get over it" approach, but invoking the past with regards to the lack of A/C on past trains really isn't the correct course of action here.

Complaints about A/C are a far more valid complaint than most that people have about these old trains. The lack of functioning A/C can pose a health risk, and they are right to have problems with it. I'm usually in favour of the "get over it" approach, but invoking the past with regards to the lack of A/C on past trains really isn't the correct course of action here.

Nevertheless it isn't surprising coming from him.  Aside from your points, we have far more severe weather now than in the past, so A/C is almost like a must now.  Every year now they have cooling centers for folks without A/C, given how many people die from heat strokes.

Belive me, I know that whole stupid thing about "well back in the day son, we had to stick with no ac on trains" story is irrelevant in today's world with technology being what it is and the hot climate as well. Being on hot trains with no ac like those in hot tunnels with the smell of steel and dust can pose problems for some. Certain times I dont mind it, but you know when enough can be enough. If they plan on having the R62As serve the system for a while, let alone serving two of the busiest routes in the city, they definitely need to consider a tolerable maintenance for the A/C units for summers. Maybe even a summer swap scenario could be feasible with these cars, who knows.

Belive me, I know that whole stupid thing about "well back in the day son, we had to stick with no ac on trains" story is irrelevant in today's world with technology being what it is and the hot climate as well. Being on hot trains with no ac like those in hot tunnels with the smell of steel and dust can pose problems for some. Certain times I dont mind it, but you know when enough can be enough. If they plan on having the R62As serve the system for a while, let alone serving two of the busiest routes in the city, they definitely need to consider a tolerable maintenance for the A/C units for summers. Maybe even a summer swap scenario could be feasible with these cars, who knows.

What is troubling is that they figured this out in the dead of summer... It's like you know we do have hot weather in the summer time here...  <_<

If it's a design flaw and they can't update HVAC around the car design. Swaps might be an option (2)(5) would be longest outdoor stretch non CBTC.

Well yeah.. the stations are unbearable AC exhaust add a lot to that. A/C is a base amenity that people expect. If the comment was directed at me riding R10 and R21's back in the days. I'm simply asking how we did it back then seems crazy to me as well.

The comment was not directed towards you. If it felt like it was then I apologize. But like you've stated, the A/C is a base amenity that is expected or wanted in certain situations during a time of unberable heat crisis. In todays modern world, people expect much of it. I sleep in a hot room every night with no cooling A/C just a fan or a ceiling fan so like I've said before certain times I don't mind the lack of air conditioning on a subway train (when its not crowded). But when it is, thats were I draw the line lol. I admire what people went through in the past on the subways with little to no A/C, but its a different time now and a lot of people expect highly of a working component like air condition in the summer.

I've been taking the  (1) every day for the past few months and it's been hit or miss. Had more than my fair share of hotboxes. The R62s on the  (3) seem like refrigerators in comparison.

Even on the  <7> this morning--the AC was on, it was blowing OK, but I was still sweating through the whole ride. Cool enough to feel it, but not cool enough to be comfortable, and a packed train.

I've been taking the  (1) every day for the past few months and it's been hit or miss. Had more than my fair share of hotboxes. The R62s on the  (3) seem like refrigerators in comparison.

Even on the  <7> this morning--the AC was on, it was blowing OK, but I was still sweating through the whole ride. Cool enough to feel it, but not cool enough to be comfortable, and a packed train.

Yeah it's weird.  For the short time that I took the (1) train in May, your description was fairly constant.  The (1) trains would have A/C that was just "ok" but never great, but the (3) trains were usually lovely.  The A/C would be pumping as it should.  It could be a question of maintenance.

The comment was not directed towards you. If it felt like it was then I apologize. But like you've stated, the A/C is a base amenity that is expected or wanted in certain situations during a time of unberable heat crisis. In todays modern world, people expect much of it. I sleep in a hot room every night with no cooling A/C just a fan or a ceiling fan so like I've said before certain times I don't mind the lack of air conditioning on a subway train (when its not crowded). But when it is, thats were I draw the line lol. I admire what people went through in the past on the subways with little to no A/C, but its a different time now and a lot of people expect highly of a working component like air condition in the summer.

No worries were on the same page A/C is a must!  B-)

I'm hearing that it is indeed a design flaw in the cars. Apparently, unlike other cars there is only one compressor for both A/Cs in each car. On other cars, if a compressor fails, you still have the other A/C. On the R62As, when the compressor fails, both A/Cs don't work.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Archived