MTA admits R62A A/C units are performing poorly

trainfan22

I'm hearing that it is indeed a design flaw in the cars. Apparently, unlike other cars there is only one compressor for both A/Cs in each car. On other cars, if a compressor fails, you still have the other A/C. On the R62As, when the compressor fails, both A/Cs don't work.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Is this a pre NTT issue for the most part? R32-R68?

Yeah it's weird.  For the short time that I took the (1) train in May, your description was fairly constant.  The (1) trains would have A/C that was just "ok" but never great, but the (3) trains were usually lovely.  The A/C would be pumping as it should.  It could be a question of maintenance.

2 Different trains! (3) are 62 and (1) are 62A's But You will find a hot Car on the (3) every now and then, they have problems too! i had a 2 Hot cars on the (3) i operated yesterday

When A/C wasn't prevalent like it is today on subways and in houses, the answer to how people survived is simply that, in fact, a lot of people died during heat waves. A/C is literally a lifesaving invention. 

I asked the same thing. I remember R10,R17 and pre GOH R26-33's.I'll take it further there are cities that only exist due to the advent of A/C. I guess you can't miss what you never had ask Frederic Tudor. 

Is this a pre NTT issue for the most part? R32-R68?

Yes. The NTTs have ACs that are completely separate from the train. They can use a crane to pick up the unit like a Lego brick and put in a new one. IIRC, it takes about an hour to swap one out, when on a SMEE you could have the car in the shops for days.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Yeah, seems like there are a few hot R62A cars. A couple days ago I got 1900 (very hot), and 1899 which was kinda hot, but slightly better. Afterwards I rode 2384 which was blistering. A year ago I rode 2238 which was really hot, like sitting in a sauna. Occasionally there's a cool R62A car, but not often. R62s on the (3) are usually cold

I wonder, when the R32s & R42s retire couldn't they take the compressors from those cars and put them in the 62A's so each car would have two compressors for the A/C? I don't think would be enough to refit ALL of the 62A's but it would be better than nothing.

I wonder if the 62A's were having this issue when the Redbirds were retiring.. if so they could tried this back then.

Speaking of the 32s.... every one I been this summer the A/C was working, ironically. 

I wonder, when the R32s & R42s retire couldn't they take the compressors from those cars and put them in the 62A's so each car would have two compressors for the A/C? I don't think would be enough to refit ALL of the 62A's but it would be better than nothing.

I wonder if the 62A's were having this issue when the Redbirds were retiring.. if so they could tried this back then.

You're would have to reconfigure the underbody of the car and move everything around. Those compressors are pretty big under the cars.

lol... Makes sense... I hopped on the (6) the other day coming back from a meeting at Google and there was definitely a HUGE difference between that train and the (L) train I was on. Yet another reason I can't stand those cars in addition to the fact that the A/C seems to be concentrated in the middle of the car, which is why I never board anywhere else on those trains because there is no air elsewhere.  And here I was thinking that the (MTA) personnel were playing games with the A/C...  

Amen on the "concentrated in the middle of the car" posit. Totally true. My usual spot is near the end of the car when I ride the 1, so I can avoid getting the how-do-you-do shove from everyone piling on and off - but on the dog days the AC at the car ends just doesn't cut it. 

Amen on the "concentrated in the middle of the car" posit. Totally true. My usual spot is near the end of the car when I ride the 1, so I can avoid getting the how-do-you-do shove from everyone piling on and off - but on the dog days the AC at the car ends just doesn't cut it. 

There were times back in May when I would move from that middle area of the (1) train (everyone piles on there as if there is nowhere else to stand  <_<) and boy did I regret it.  All I could do to get to 96th street to transfer... I couldn't tolerate taking the subway in this heat... Even on the express bus it takes me at least 20 minutes to fully cool down in the morning from the walk to the bus and then the wait in this disgusting heat and humidity.  

Even the STATIONS are freaking volcanos. At Fulton St on the (2) and (3), that area is literally a baking oven.

Well yeah... No surprise there... I don't take the subway often during the summer unless it is late at night and only if it is absolutely necessary.  Tonight for example, I'm having dinner at a friend's place.  Will take Metro-North instead of the subway...

Well yeah... No surprise there... I don't take the subway often during the summer unless it is late at night and only if it is absolutely necessary.  Tonight for example, I'm having dinner at a friend's place.  Will take Metro-North instead of the subway...

Subway stations can be even worse than hot cars especially with 24/7 lights and a lot of machinery, with poor ventilation. Stations like Times Sq has decent ventilation so it's not deadly hot, however stations like 34th st have no ventilation whatsoever. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived