First Post-9/11 WTC Temporary PATH Station (N)(R) Connection?

Porter

Went and looked at it tonight. Wow; I had worked the (E) Thanksgiving, and it did not look that close to opening!

I had thought the new connection would be directly from the new fare control area, but instead, it's a completely separate passageway from the extreme north end of the platform. 
I wonder then, why they didn't take down the wall separating it from the old WTC entrance and perhaps put up a glass wall, so that it wouldn't be so enclosed looking.

5 minutes ago, Eric B said:

I had thought the new connection would be directly from the new fare control area, but instead, it's a completely separate passageway from the extreme north end of the platform. 
I wonder then, why they didn't take down the wall separating it from the old WTC entrance and perhaps put up a glass wall, so that it wouldn't be so enclosed looking.

The most obvious complication is the elevator serving the southbound platform. The second complication is that the transfer has to be within the fare zone, and the fare control area is small and cramped as it is. The third complication is that most of the fare control area is suspended in-air over the mall, and even then, to get from there to the WTC Station would require plowing through mechanical infrastructure. With that (short-sighted yet required) elevator in the way, how they ultimately arranged it was really the only feasible way. It's a bit cramped, but unless they want to rebuild the elevator a few meters to the east, it's the most logical setup.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the official (MTA) map will feature the new free connection and ADA access until the Cortlandt Street (1) Station reopens next year. I doubt that the (MTA) would replace all of the maps for a small update like this.

7 hours ago, Skipper said:

Unfortunately, I don't think that the official (MTA) map will feature the new free connection and ADA access until the Cortlandt Street (1) Station reopens next year. I doubt that the (MTA) would replace all of the maps for a small update like this.

They did for Arthur Kill.

5 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

They did for Arthur Kill.

Well yeah, that's a brand new station that forced the closure of two others. This latest update only included a new free connection and ADA access restored at the WTC Station. It amounts to drawing a black line between the WTC (E) and Cortlandt (R)(W) and adding the ADA icon to the former. The Cortlandt Street (1) Station reopening is of the magnitude of Arthur Kill and should be arriving relatively soon.

Also, I've noticed that the WTC mall and Cortlandt Street Station highly downplay the Chambers Street (A)(C) and Park Place (2)(3) connections. They can only be found on the sign outside of the 2WTC entrance, that of the ground-level entrance next to the cemetery that @Around the Horn snapped a week or so ago, and the old pre-9/11 signage preserved in the old mall corridor. My guess is that the (MTA) wants to push WTC shoppers and visitors to use the Fulton Street (A)(C)(2)(3) lines via the Dey Street Concourse, so as to not cause confusion with the overlapping lines (are those really closer, though?).

Here's a bonus video for @Vtrain:

I'm curious what they're working on just north of the 2WTC entrance... Advertising screens, perhaps?

3 hours ago, RR503 said:

Online PDF subway map isn't displaying transfer yet. 

Glad this is open though -- another way to escape the half-speed terrors of the (R) on weekends. 

I'll use this when I am getting home from somewhere in Brooklyn along the (R)

23 hours ago, Skipper said:

They will doubtless replace the online maps soon. They will probably create new print maps as well. But they probably won't replace the print maps on trains and stations.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to checking this out. Wow, they really opened up a lot of new passageways and entrances, and completely reconfigured the turnstiles at the south end of the (E) platform. It looks nice.

Getting from the (E) to the uptown (R)(W) is a bit of a chore. But otherwise it's nice. 

I think this thread has run its course (I had originally asked about the 2002-2005 WTC PATH connection to the (N)(R), which used the original now-demolished Dey Street underpass).

However, I'd like to leave this discussion with a selection of ten videos showing the 2WTC, 4WTC, and Oculus (E)(R)(W) entrances, as well as the connection between the (E) and (R)(W) itself. There are also bits showing the restored free underpass connecting One Liberty Plaza to the WTC mall for the first time since 9/11. That should be enough to satisfy @Vtrain, right?

42 minutes ago, Italianstallion said:

The new E to R/W transfer is now shown on the online subway maps at mta.info.

And yet, there is still no official announcement or media coverage of the new connections.

21 hours ago, P3F said:

And yet, there is still no official announcement or media coverage of the new connections.

We won't see any more transit news at the WTC until the end of the year when the Cortlandt (1) returns, which is odd because the news did make a deal out of the original WTC (E) connection opening, even though it had been open from some time after 9/11 until 2008.

I'd debating whether to download the new map now with the ugly (2)(3) announcements at the bottom or wait until Cortlandt reopens...

Do you think this new connection is why the (MTA) felt comfortable sending an (R) to the (E) terminus, which I believe may be unprecedented? Perhaps they felt safer doing so because the WTC station is now riddled with (R)(W) bullets.

Oh, and one last video...

On 1/18/2018 at 2:36 PM, Italianstallion said:

The new E to R/W transfer is now shown on the online subway maps at mta.info.

And by the end of the year, it will look like this:

Yfx6ud1.png

...and I hope that it doesn't change again until the revived (9) goes to Red Hook or the new (T)yD35xgl.png goes to Hanover Square. In other words, not in this decade or even the next for that matter.

1 hour ago, Porter said:

And by the end of the year, it will look like this:

Yfx6ud1.png

...and I hope that it doesn't change again until the revived (9) goes to Red Hook or the new (T)yD35xgl.png goes to Hanover Square. In other words, not in this decade or even the next for that matter.

Damn, the line between WTC and Cortlandt is long. They should swap the positions of the Cortlandt Street station and the FINANCIAL DISTRICT text, so that it doesn't look like everything is really far from everything else.

3 minutes ago, P3F said:

Damn, the line between WTC and Cortlandt is long. They should swap the positions of the Cortlandt Street station and the FINANCIAL DISTRICT text, so that it doesn't look like everything is really far from everything else.

The problem is then the label is too close to Fulton St.

Really the MTA just needs to adopt the Weekender map full time.

23 hours ago, P3F said:

They could easily shift the yellow R/Ww line northwest, where it is geographically, and put the dot for the R/W station right below the E station.

17 hours ago, Italianstallion said:

They could easily shift the yellow R/Ww line northwest, where it is geographically, and put the dot for the R/W station right below the E station.

The (1) and (R)(W) stations have to align, though. Cortlandt with Cortlandt and Rector with Rector.

Compare 2018, 2004, and 1997:

Yfx6ud1.pngmwF8oSI.pngASKnflI.png

Archived