New BMT Countdown Clocks begin!

Javier

For all those that mocked the implementation of WiFi/transit wireless in the subways, this goes to show you that even some seemingly pointless amenities can be used as an important part of the subway infrastructure

I really applaud Cuomo's push to get wifi installed. Not only are the costs essentially covered by transit wireless, but now they are piggybacking off of it to operat the countdown clocks.

What I meant is, these displays are already installed from the last Broadway line countdown clock pilot. Have they been connected to this new system now?

This is a just trial program for now, mostly of the new, Bluetooth-based train-tracking technology. So I highly doubt they've connected it to anything else. Even the new displays are minimal in number, strictly enough to test the concept and technology. Some stations don't even have a display on the platform; just outside the turnstiles.

What I meant is, these displays are already installed from the last Broadway line countdown clock pilot. Have they been connected to this new system now?

If I'm not mistaken, Transit reprogrammed the existing displays to show the next train arrivals as opposed to the standard date/time information that was previously the only thing those displays would show.

Didn't some upstate legislator try to ban countdown clocks in NYC on the grounds that his town didn't have a subway?

I never heard of this, and probably for good reason. It sounds incredibly stupid and it's not worth anyone's time to even bother reporting such nonsense.

Didn't some upstate legislator try to ban countdown clocks in NYC on the grounds that his town didn't have a subway?

Probably. Some of them are idiots, especially in the Southern Tier. Just let them secede and join PA. Most of Upstate hates them as well. 

Some of them want to join PA because of NY's ban on fracking.

While I'm personally opposed, the current law allows PA companies to build facilities on the state line (they already have started doing so) and drill quite a ways into New York. There is a hiking trail at Allegheny State Park that runs along the state line for a ways and there are a bunch of fracking facilities along the trail a couple feet inside PA. A lot of the rationale there has more to do with "let the gas under New York land benefit New York communities" than environmental stuff, but I digress.

Archived