Q25, Q52/53, Q70, and Q113 to become SBS routes in the near future

Union Tpke

South since cost of living is much cheaper there.

I know. But that's an edge meant for poorer and disenfranchised people, not car owning snobs.

This is a city that needs to focus on the masses not the asses. Influences like Billionaires Row are getting out of hand. Let it go so far and they'll vote to secede from Manhattan before Staten Island does.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

I know. But that's an edge meant for poorer and disenfranchised people, not car owning snobs.

This is a city that needs to focus on the masses not the asses. Influences like Billionaires Row are getting out of hand. Let it go so far and they'll vote to secede from Manhattan before Staten Island does.

Many poor people have been riding the Q113 since the PBL days. I don't think SBS service is going to attract more riders to the 113 as the route has to compete with the dollar vans running along Brewer Blvd and the Rockaways.

Edited by NY1635

Many poor people have been riding the Q113 since the PBL days. I don't think SBS service is going to attract more riders to the 113 as the route has to compete with the dollar vans running along Brewer Blvd and the Rockaways.

You've confirmed my second fear - if the fare keeps going up, the MTA will lose business to local competitors.

They need to keep the Q113 as a limited/local combination and try not to covert to SBS services. This will increase more dollar vans in Southeast Queens and Far Rockaway- both areas with inadequate bus and train service.

Seems like the MTA gave up on Limited service. Personally it would be interesting to see bus lanes set up on Kissena Blvd north of the Horace Harding expressway. People are going to get pissed off if they have to give up parking. The Q25 is one of the least reliable routes but I feel that's part of the MTA's problem for not improving service. Like what is wrong with adding more limited service in the evening and what about Flushing short turns. Having short turns alone could somewhat improve reliability because not every bus will be traveling up to College Point.

As far as the Q113 becoming SBS I wonder what that will do to the Q114 LTD. I feel like the Q114 will get altered a bit.

Seems like the MTA gave up on Limited service. Personally it would be interesting to see bus lanes set up on Kissena Blvd north of the Horace Harding expressway. People are going to get pissed off if they have to give up parking. The Q25 is one of the least reliable routes but I feel that's part of the MTA's problem for not improving service. Like what is wrong with adding more limited service in the evening and what about Flushing short turns. Having short turns alone could somewhat improve reliability because not every bus will be traveling up to College Point.

As far as the Q113 becoming SBS I wonder what that will do to the Q114 LTD. I feel like the Q114 will get altered a bit.

I have a feeling that the Q113 SBS might be short turned at the Jamaica Center while the Q114 goes to Hillside and 153rd Street. 

SBS on the Q25 isn't going to work. I don't see how adding bus lanes on Kissena is going to make getting in and out of Downtown Flushing easy.

Forget Flushing, I'm wondering how the hell they intend to get that bus in and out of the tiny, narrow roads it travels up on its way to College Point! 23rd Ave is already far too narrow for the current local/limited Q25... I guess they could route it up 20th or 25th Ave to avoid the narrow stretch of 23rd Ave and of 127th St, but then that kind of begs the question of why they don't already do that with the local/limited, when it would certainly speed things up and involve less climbing of drastic hills? (20th Ave is still a hill, yeah, but it's not quite as horribly steep as 127th and 23rd are.)

Lol....

Doesn't this seem a little too far fetched by now? Also, no B82?

(The SBS implementations is discussed on the top of Page 9)

The Bx6, B82, and M23 routes are already under previous plans with money already allocated. The Bus Company routes all begin next year, with a possible exception for the Q70, and still need to be funded.

Everything in the Eastchester, Yonkers, Spring Creek, Baisley Park, JFK, LGA, and Far Rockaway depots are operated by MTA bus. Everything else is NYCT.

Everything is operated by NYCT, the division is just MTA Bus. And you forgot College Point.

I see Q25 SBS working with bus lanes only if the DOT completely revamps parking in the area. This would include new new parking garages in downtown Flushing, metered; and Residents only for alternate side parking. It's bad enough when locals have to compete with out of towners for parking. My dad has had to park his car pretty far from our house just because of the lack of parking in the area. 

I see Q25 SBS working with bus lanes only if the DOT completely revamps parking in the area. This would include new new parking garages in downtown Flushing, metered; and Residents only for alternate side parking. It's bad enough when locals have to compete with out of towners for parking. My dad has had to park his car pretty far from our house just because of the lack of parking in the area. 

Don't count on it.

Seeing how Flushing and the neighboring areas have quite the political clout, I can see them fighting hard against the idea of bus lanes. The original idea was to stick bus lanes along Kissena Blvd. I do not see that ending well or happening for that matter.

Don't count on it.

Seeing how Flushing and the neighboring areas have quite the political clout, I can see them fighting hard against the idea of bus lanes. The original idea was to stick bus lanes along Kissena Blvd. I do not see that ending well or happening for that matter.

Personally as someone who has used the Q25 for over 10 years I feel that the Q25 besides traffic suffers the most from poor management. College Point does not run that route correctly at all. In that Northeast Queens bus study I believe it had the worst on time performance which is no surprise. So many times on weekends where I've seen multiple (sometimes 3) buses leaving the terminal at the same time instead of possibly sending one down the line to close in the gap. I've also seen buses bunched at 11, 12 and 1 in the morning. I know after 9pm the Q25 can become a joke. Sometimes there may not be a bus that comes for 40+ minutes while you have Q17's running pretty frequently sometimes carrying air. And despite all of that ridership is increasing however I feel that SBS won't really work on that route.

I feel that the Q25 could possibly benefit from a Flushing short turn and extended Limited service hours at least in the span from 2:50pm to 8:30pm.

Don't count on it.

Considering that Q44SBS somehow survived with lanes on Main St, this isn't that different. Heck, with offset lanes and no parking on Kissena for the most congested sections (between Holly and Main) it would be pretty effective.

If the Q70 becomes SBS, I'd propose extending the Q52 to 74 Broadway and then having it change to a Q70 at 74/Broadway with no change in buses...there would be cuts to the Q53, but there would be 8-minute headways at least maintained on the trunk off-peak between Broad Channel and 74/Roosevelt (there would also be Q70 terminating trips alternating with Q52 frequencies that only run Victor Moore-KLGA.) LGA drivers would take over the Q52 service at 74/Broadway while the Q52 driver would then get a break until the bus returns from KLGA

I am aware that a change in contract terms may be needed to permit MTA Bus drivers to start their shifts relieving another driver.

(Use of LGA and KLGA is to differentiate the depot from the airport, using the airport's ICAO identification.)

As for the Q25 SBS concept, I would drop it as I don't really see any benefit from it.

Edited by aemoreira81

Considering that Q44SBS somehow survived with lanes on Main St, this isn't that different. Heck, with offset lanes and no parking on Kissena for the most congested sections (between Holly and Main) it would be pretty effective.

Bus lanes made the Q44 worse. people are still double parking forcing the buses to go on the main road for most of the time, and since there is only one lane of traffic everything is at a gridlock. 

If the Q70 becomes SBS, I'd propose extending the Q52 to 74 Broadway and then having it change to a Q70 at 74/Broadway with no change in buses...there would be cuts to the Q53, but there would be 8-minute headways at least maintained on the trunk off-peak between Broad Channel and 74/Roosevelt (there would also be Q70 terminating trips alternating with Q52 frequencies that only run Victor Moore-KLGA.) LGA drivers would take over the Q52 service at 74/Broadway while the Q52 driver would then get a break until the bus returns from KLGA

And the point of this is what exactly?

Man, nothing needs to change with any of the Woodhaven routes as a result of the Q70 re-branding....

Bus lanes made the Q44 worse. people are still double parking forcing the buses to go on the main road for most of the time, and since there is only one lane of traffic everything is at a gridlock. 

Really? I've used the Q44 a few times and everything seems a bit better than it was before.

Double-parking is not caused by bus lanes. Double-parking is caused by people choosing to double-park.

when you double on the bus lane, it practically makes the bus lane useless 

Really? I've used the Q44 a few times and everything seems a bit better than it was before.

Although I see improvement overall, going north in Flushing traffic is worse and buses are heavily delayed. 

Although I see improvement overall, going north in Flushing traffic is worse and buses are heavily delayed. 

Lol.... Is that even possible....

Seriously though, the past couple times this month I was in (the heart of) Flushing, traffic flow at their respective worsts seemed relatively the same....

Nightmarish.

Doesn't matter what bus I take from Jamaica to Flushing....

Yeah, I don't really see how going north into Flushing could be any worse. Doing it after SBS was just as stressful as doing it before.

It's also not nearly as bad as it was before all the turn restrictions and the pedestrian island on Kissena... at this point, the biggest traffic improvement they could make would be closing that garage for the New World Mall complex that opens onto Main and 40th Road.

Edited by bobtehpanda

Now days I can can just out walk the Q44 since traffic is so bad

You are definitely exaggerating with that. The Q44 has improved slightly now that you no longer have to sit and wait for everyone to put their metrocards into the machine. And where on the Q44 line can you out walk the bus unless you are talking about between Main Street- Kissena and 39th Ave. Traffic between Roosevelt and Northen is a headache especially during rush hours but even then the Q44 doesn't even have the stop anymore on Main and Northern so you cannot out walk the bus.

Queens seems to be the brunt of many transit mishaps. The only way Queens can get the help it needs is through aggressive pro-transit moves and the de-prioritization of ordinary cars.

Car owners will hate it but the city has to look out for the majority and many New Yorkers can't afford to drive. Even those who do know there is no productive edge in city driving but stubbornly cling to their wheels. [emoji30]

Now days I can can just out walk the Q44 since traffic is so bad 

You are definitely exaggerating with that. The Q44 has improved slightly now that you no longer have to sit and wait for everyone to put their metrocards into the machine. And where on the Q44 line can you out walk the bus unless you are talking about between Main Street- Kissena and 39th Ave. Traffic between Roosevelt and Northen is a headache especially during rush hours but even then the Q44 doesn't even have the stop anymore on Main and Northern so you cannot out walk the bus.

I have to agree with NewFlyer 230. The whole thing sounds like an over-exaggeration. I've been frequenting it throughout various times of the day and I haven't had much of an issue. Flushing in general is horrible when it comes to traffic so that's kinda moot. A bunch of Q44s use the main road as well, not every Q44 sticks to the bus lanes.

(my only gripe with the Q44 is that I wish it skipped Parkchester altogether.)