Q25, Q52/53, Q70, and Q113 to become SBS routes in the near future

Union Tpke

One route that would benefit greatly from off board fare payment in my opinion  is the Q23 especially at 71st Ave/Queens Blvd. Bus lanes aren't necessary and it wouldn't need artics, doubt that would even work with how tight the streets are.  

You are definitely exaggerating with that. The Q44 has improved slightly now that you no longer have to sit and wait for everyone to put their metrocards into the machine. And where on the Q44 line can you out walk the bus unless you are talking about between Main Street- Kissena and 39th Ave. Traffic between Roosevelt and Northen is a headache especially during rush hours but even then the Q44 doesn't even have the stop anymore on Main and Northern so you cannot out walk the bus.

boarding time has definitely improved and I'll give you that. The worst time of they day which happen to be when I travel now, is mid day when you all those out of towners coming to realize there is no where to park. They park in no standing areas where they block 1/2 the lane and truck are loading and unloading on the bus lanes at almost every block. Which makes the bus lane useless.

During time like AM/PM rush however things have gotten better boarding time has decreased, and during AM rush there is almost no traffic, PM rush still has traffic northbound, and the stretch between Elder and Kissena can be hell until 5-6 pm, south bound is fine it actually a lot faster now that boarding at Kissena takes only 1-2 min. But seriously on a very busy day go to Main and Elder and wait for a Q44 and try to out walk it. I walk pretty fast, but for even an average walker, you would probably end up about 2 blocks behind it.

boarding time has definitely improved and I'll give you that. The worst time of they day which happen to be when I travel now, is mid day when you all those out of towners coming to realize there is no where to park. They park in no standing areas where they block 1/2 the lane and truck are loading and unloading on the bus lanes at almost every block. Which makes the bus lane useless.

During time like AM/PM rush however things have gotten better boarding time has decreased, and during AM rush there is almost no traffic, PM rush still has traffic northbound, and the stretch between Elder and Kissena can be hell until 5-6 pm, south bound is fine it actually a lot faster now that boarding at Kissena takes only 1-2 min. But seriously on a very busy day go to Main and Elder and wait for a Q44 and try to out walk it. I walk pretty fast, but for even an average walker, you would probably end up about 2 blocks behind it.

Flushing is overcrowded and will continue to be very congested and since the introduction of the bus lanes I think traffic on Kissena has gotten slightly worst. The (MTA) is pushing so hard for Select Bus Service for the Q25 but where can the bus lanes go without upsetting residents. I personally think these bus lanes will make traffic worst. And okay I've tried out walking the Q20 and Q44 and the bus ended up passing me by all the time. Now if you want to out walk a bus try the Q60 especially up there by Rego Park and Elmhurst. You can actually sometimes out walk it if traffic is really backed up.

Yeah....good luck getting those people to give up their parking spaces. If the people along Merrick Blvd protested, then it's going to be about the same on Guy Brewer Blvd. Especially by the projects.

JFK Depot! Your thoughts!

The only projects are the Baisley Park Houses. Rochdale is not a project but a co-op.

Flushing is overcrowded and will continue to be very congested and since the introduction of the bus lanes I think traffic on Kissena has gotten slightly worst. The (MTA) is pushing so hard for Select Bus Service for the Q25 but where can the bus lanes go without upsetting residents. I personally think these bus lanes will make traffic worst. And okay I've tried out walking the Q20 and Q44 and the bus ended up passing me by all the time. Now if you want to out walk a bus try the Q60 especially up there by Rego Park and Elmhurst. You can actually sometimes out walk it if traffic is really backed up.

Even I think that section of Queens is horrible. I'm all for buses but a balance must be struck or it could get worse.

Intersections there are like snake pits for peds. In addition to distracted driving, loud and unbearable noise, it's a death wish for any disabled resident who crosses the streets.

I almost got ran over by a tawny Audi last Friday who went for the gold instead of slowing down on yellow. [emoji19]

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

You're right about Flushing, the neighborhood is getting f***ed due to a lack of parking. My dad can spend up to 2 hours to park his car here. It's mostly due to out of town visitors coming in taking all the parking spots. The first chance my dad gets, he's gonna try to rent a spot in my building's parking garage. But even that gets difficult, because everyone else in my building wants a parking spot there too. 

You're right about Flushing, the neighborhood is getting f***ed due to a lack of parking. My dad can spend up to 2 hours to park his car here. It's mostly due to out of town visitors coming in taking all the parking spots. The first chance my dad gets, he's gonna try to rent a spot in my building's parking garage. But even that gets difficult, because everyone else in my building wants a parking spot there too.

Maybe we should make prepaid parking an option for local residents so that out of towers are profitable for violation.

Long term, Flushing needs both a residential parking program and some sort of medium capacity transit for its feeder buses. Here in Seattle they have a tunnel to separate buses and light rail from the horrific congestion above.

2-DowntownTranitTunnel-LightRailTrainand

Light rail for the Q44 could also go under here.

Long term, Flushing needs both a residential parking program and some sort of medium capacity transit for its feeder buses. Here in Seattle they have a tunnel to separate buses and light rail from the horrific congestion above.

That's pretty cool maybe it can help with the traffic problem in Flushing.

The merchants, and thus the politicians who listen to them instead of to actual voters, would never allow it, because it would divert bus and subway passengers from the sidewalks where they see the stores. (Back in 1995, they vetoed building an underground bus terminal below the former Municipal Parking Field #1 for the same reason.)

To be fair, extending the subway east would also get rid of a lot of the required buses, since with an extension east that's less demand on the Q27, and it's not really necessary for the Q17 or Q65 to divert as far as they do now.

Of course, transit expansion in Eastern Queens of any kind is not happening within the next decade or so.

To be fair, extending the subway east would also get rid of a lot of the required buses, since with an extension east that's less demand on the Q27, and it's not really necessary for the Q17 or Q65 to divert as far as they do now.

Of course, transit expansion in Eastern Queens of any kind is not happening within the next decade or so.

And that new-ish entrance at Main Street prevents any (7) extension...

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

What do you mean by this?

That being said, light rail isn't happening because you can't put light rail on the Whitestone.

Agreed. I would only support such an idea if cars were excluded completely.

However, I would support the use of such a rail for non living shipments so that truck drivers aren't affected in transporting goods and services. In fact, using streetcars (off hours or in between) could be an incentive for them.

I think that the regular Q25 will be eliminated, and the Q34 will become the full time local. The Q25 SBS might make all stops north of where it splits from the Q34.

I feel that should happen as well, but I also think the MTA is the type to keep the Q25 LCL and leave the Q34 intact. Can't say for sure what will happen to the Q25.

Alright, so the Q25 becomes an SBS route.... What (does any of you believe) happens to the Q34?

IDK, given what they've done to the Woodhaven Blvd locals and what they almost did to the Q111, I feel like they might try to extend all Q34's to Jamaica (all those current short-turns would originate/terminate at Jamaica), while reducing the headways on the Q25 Local at the same time. IDK how they would do it, but perhaps there would actually be a 1:1 ratio of Q25 Locals and Q34's. It already exists throughout most of the day on weekdays. However the headways would probably be increased from 12 to 15 for each bus.  

Otherwise, I don't see much happening, unless they decide to have the Q34 run only north of Flushing, and have the Q25 local do everything south of Roosevelt Avenue, on 10 minute headways during the midday hours, and every 8 minutes during the rush hour, while the SBS runs a little more frequent than the current Q25 LTD during rush hours, and every 10-15 minutes during midday and evening hours.

Edited by BM5 via WOODHAVEN BL