What Fare card do you use?

I have a question, and I thought this would be the best way to convey it.

Based on the numerous receipts and refills I've done, I believe there are several different calling methods as to how a fare box reads a MetroCard. Please look over the scenarios below to better understand my intent:

SCENARIO #1:

I board a BM4 At 23rd Street & 5th Ave, and I have an EasyPay Unlimited (27). However, the plan is suspended and it has value loaded on it instead (22).

Is there a way to tell the fare box to look for a MetroCard balance by type?

SCENARIO #2: Why there's a SCENARIO #1.

I was on the Bee-Line #9 | North Yonkers Loop one Thursday afternoon, and an elderly passenger had coins to pay her fare. The operator pressed a button BEFORE she started landing the coins, and at $1.35, the machine swallowed her fare and spat out a Xfer.

I believe that operator programmed a prerequisite on the keypad to allow for a certain condition to be met.

What I'm asking is, can that method be used to call a specific type of MetroCard balance?

The card you see pictured and colorized below at snap time, had a Monthly (27), a weekly (25), and $13.48 (22) at hand.

Special note: as an example. PATH turnstiles are programmed to accept type 22 ONLY.

7ec048931975022baad8b02c4aaaaf41.jpg

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Wait a minute.... How could that card hold a monthly AND a weekly?  My understanding is you can only refill a Metrocard with whatever was originally put on the card when you purchased it.  For example, all of my Metrocards (I rotate about four of them that I reuse) had a 7 day Express Bus Plus weekly on them at some point, and so that is the only thing that can be added to the card aside from cash, unless they've updated the machines to allow your scenario recently??

Wait a minute.... How could that card hold a monthly AND a weekly?  My understanding is you can only refill a Metrocard with whatever was originally put on the card when you purchased it.  For example, all of my Metrocards (I rotate about four of them that I reuse) had a 7 day Express Bus Plus weekly on them at some point, and so that is the only thing that can be added to the card aside from cash, unless they've updated the machines to allow your scenario recently??

You can put Monthly and Weekly on the same card. The agent at Bay Ridge Ave messed up once and put a weekly on my card instead of $30. This card already had a monthly on it. Now whether you can put a monthly and a weekly express bus pass on the same card, I don't know.

You can put Monthly and Weekly on the same card. The agent at Bay Ridge Ave messed up once and put a weekly on my card instead of $30. This card already had a monthly on it. Now whether you can put a monthly and a weekly express bus pass on the same card, I don't know.

Interesting...  It's even more fascinating that you don't use the MVM machines.  I don't think I've ever gone to an agent for a refill... lol

Interesting...  It's even more fascinating that you don't use the MVM machines.  I don't think I've ever gone to an agent for a refill... lol

It was a one off. I usually use the machines. (This was one of the times the machines were only taking coins or something like that)

Wait a minute.... How could that card hold a monthly AND a weekly? My understanding is you can only refill a Metrocard with whatever was originally put on the card when you purchased it. For example, all of my Metrocards (I rotate about four of them that I reuse) had a 7 day Express Bus Plus weekly on them at some point, and so that is the only thing that can be added to the card aside from cash, unless they've updated the machines to allow your scenario recently??

Nope. The monthly does have to be in use though. I can only load one more time type (25) (27). After that I can only load value (22).

Wait a minute.... How could that card hold a monthly AND a weekly? My understanding is you can only refill a Metrocard with whatever was originally put on the card when you purchased it. For example, all of my Metrocards (I rotate about four of them that I reuse) had a 7 day Express Bus Plus weekly on them at some point, and so that is the only thing that can be added to the card aside from cash, unless they've updated the machines to allow your scenario recently??

I do not utilize the $58 express pass in any way or form. As such I don't know its type number. I got sick of coaches a while back...

If I use a MetroCard in this scenario, you'll see the EXP MM/DD "R" the R means reserve.

February 2013 actually. The machines actually showed me as I refilled my card one rainy day. It was an advertising roll.

Although I'm still wondering - can a specific type be called? Don't those piggy cans have a user or service guide?

Nope. The monthly does have to be in use though. I can only load one more time type (25) (27). After that I can only load value (22).

I do not utilize the $58 express pass in any way or form. As such I don't know its type number. I got sick of coaches a while back...

If I use a MetroCard in this scenario, you'll see the EXP MM/DD "R" the R means reserve.

February 2013 actually. The machines actually showed me as I refilled my card one rainy day. It was an advertising roll.

Although I'm still wondering - can a specific type be called? Don't those piggy cans have a user or service guide?

Interesting.. I thought "R" was for refill... I've only refilled my cards with express bus passes, so in my case I see EXP MM/DD "R" when I dip my express bus pass and have another one that hasn't been activated yet.

London recently stated it plans to unveil the workings of the Oyster Card to make it more adaptable.

After the card you saw in the picture expired physically, I took it to the science lab when I was at WCC and started dissecting and probing it for its composition and makeup.

I was trying to find a way to alleviate the flimsy feeling without sacrificing its thinness. And after applying some breakdown cabbage water, I noticed the cards are missing an important reinforcement agent.

Metalloids.

Metalloids, while not true metals, when combined with brittle or flimsy material (like PVC or volcanic rock), it adds a reinforcing quality that makes the card more impervious to traditional blunders, like read errors.

Better protection also means faster read speeds and I know the MTA wants to speed boarding and hard to read MetroCards present an issue. Mine hiccupped yesterday come to think of it.

Do you think we should open license the MetroCard, so that it can be improved? I think it would be selfish not to do so. I know better payment methods exist.

But I wish we could achieve progress without the influence of idolatry. That's beginning to get on my nerves. We're not Tokyo or Chicago.

There's no point to improve the MetroCards inner workings if you are just gonna replace it on four years anyway.

Also, you're misunderstanding London's plans for the Oyster. They have sold the rights to Cubic so they can sell it to other transit authorities and make a profit. This was never about making it "open source" or about improving Oyster. It was about making the system available to other transit authorities.

There's no point to improve the MetroCards inner workings if you are just gonna replace it on four years anyway.

Also, you're misunderstanding London's plans for the Oyster. They have sold the rights to Cubic so they can sell it to other transit authorities and make a profit. This was never about making it "open source" or about improving Oyster. It was about making the system available to other transit authorities.

I think that's what I meant. I used the wrong terminology.

But yes, the more the merrier. I sure hope it's JUST four years.

Hey guys, I recently put a petition on change.org and I'd like you to take a look:

https://www.change.org/p/new-york-governor-increase-anything-but-the-transit-fare?recruiter=205678416

Because I know there are other ways to collect revenue. I wanted to bring ideas I did not hear already, so I didn't worry much abuot about mentioning the tolling of East River crossings and the commuter tax (although those are helpful too!).

It's all well and good to say don't raise the fare but, when your elected officials put a requirement into law in New York State, requiring fare increases every two years and you let that happen, you've forfeited your right to complain IMO.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

It's all well and good to say don't raise the fare but, when your elected officials put a requirement into law in New York State, requiring fare increases every two years and you let that happen, you've forfeited your right to complain IMO.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I never voted for that. In addition, your response is lukewarm for the amount of effort put into explaining the countless other ways to collect revenue.

Regardless I'll budget for any increase. Unlike the larger population, I don't expect the MTA to listen to its commuters.

• 2 months later...

Someone brought up the idea of swipes the last time I posted here.

My EasyPay Summary just arrived. I spent over $240 worth of Subway & bus rides. I could do better.

3c844f620e83d689313839d8a6bf4ff9.jpg

Other than last week with the #1T, I haven't taken a Bee-Line bus in ages...

So. About 100 rides within the NYC line...

It's important that I don't exaggerate. And I understand and acknowledge the criticisms that were posted here. Thank you.

???? Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow ????

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer ????

I use 30-Day MetroCard which my mom buys it. When I not using it, my mom uses.

She would never refill with same MetroCard because same MetroCard gets damage lot.

I'll put PATH fare, AirTrain JFK or Bee-Line BxM4C fare in 30-Day MetroCard if I take these non-MTA agencies.

Archived