MTA looking into a subway line to Marine Park

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were living in Marine Park, I would oppose this and fight it tooth and nail.  Marine Park is a beautiful neighborhood, which would be destroyed by having a subway rammed through it.  It has a suburban feel and that's part of the charm to it.  Not every neighborhood needs or wants subway service.

If I were living in Marine Park, I would oppose this and fight it tooth and nail. Marine Park is a beautiful neighborhood, which would be destroyed by having a subway rammed through it. It has a suburban feel and that's part of the charm to it. Not every neighborhood needs or wants subway service.

Please. Tell me more about what the residents of an area you don't live in want. Because I know plenty of people there. A subway will make their lives easier.

Secondly, do you really think you're the first to say something like that? People who say that tend to be the minority almost every time.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Please. Tell me more about what the residents of an area you don't live in want. Because I know plenty of people there. A subway will make their lives easier.

Secondly, do you really think you're the first to say something like that? People who say that tend to be the minority almost every time.

Marine Park is a neighborhood is that conducive to a more suburban style of living, and the people that moved there wanting a subway were fools to do so.  It's not as if the neighborhood is cheap either, as it mainly homeowners, so they could easily move elsewhere where there are subway options, since those areas would cost more.  And no I'm not the first to say it and won't be the last. There are some areas that should remain as they are in Brooklyn, and people live/move there wanting that more suburban life-style, as is the case with a big portion of Mid/South Brooklyn.  Believe it or not, there are plenty of people that move to neighborhoods in NYC because they don't want to live near subways (myself included).  There are several rather isolated neighborhoods in Mid/South Brooklyn that I used to hang out in growing up as a Brooklynite where folks likely don't want a subway and they are rather expensive too:

Bergen Beach

Mill Basin

Manhattan Beach

Parts of Bay Ridge west of 3rd Avenue

Dyker Heights

Parts of Midwood

These are all beautiful neighborhoods that are expensive and where people move because they like a more suburban style of living within NYC.  Marine Park isn't as expensive as these areas, but it is still a solid middle class neighborhood.

How do you know that? You have not talked to every single person there. More importantly than that, you don't live there. Stop giving assumptions and start giving facts. Because honestly, Marine Park is no different than any other South Brooklyn neighborhood and there's nothing suburban about it. Single family homes and suburbs are not synonymous.

Stop claiming to know other people's reasonings. You have no clue. At all.

How do you know that? You have not talked to every single person there. More importantly than that, you don't live there. Stop giving assumptions and start giving facts. Because honestly, Marine Park is no different than any other South Brooklyn neighborhood and there's nothing suburban about it. Single family homes and suburbs are not synonymous.

Stop claiming to know other people's reasonings. You have no clue. At all.

Really? And what makes you the expert? For starters I know people who live in the area and they would not want a subway, and they live there because there isn't one.  And I'm sorry to tell you this but all of South Brooklyn is certainly not the same.  Manhattan Beach is not the same as Coney Island for example, not by a long shot.  Same thing with Marine Park... It's a quiet, charming community where most folks drive or use the B2 bus.  A big part of that charm stems from not having a subway.  I grew up in South Brooklyn so I know what I'm talking about, and still go back there regularly.  Each neighborhood is distinct for one reason or another.  South Brooklyn is certainly like the northern parts of Brooklyn that's for sure.  The fact that a lot of South Brooklyn doesn't have subway lines is what makes it feel less urban and more suburban.  No it is not suburban like the suburbs, but it has a sleepier feel for sure.   Dyker Heights, Mill Basin, Bergen Beach, Midwood... All areas that certainly feel much more suburban than urban by a long shot.  

And I'm sure some would want a subway there, but to assume that the majority would is a big mistake.

Really? And what makes you the expert? For starters I know people who live in the area and they would not want a subway, and they live there because there isn't one. And I'm sorry to tell you this but all of South Brooklyn is certainly not the same. Manhattan Beach is not the same as Coney Island for example, not by a long shot. Same thing with Marine Park... It's a quiet, charming community where most folks drive or use the B2 bus. A big part of that charm stems from not having a subway. I grew up in South Brooklyn so I know what I'm talking about, and still go back there regularly. Each neighborhood is distinct for one reason or another. South Brooklyn is certainly like the northern parts of Brooklyn that's for sure. The fact that a lot of South Brooklyn doesn't have subway lines is what makes it feel less urban and more suburban. No it is not suburban like the suburbs, but it has a sleepier feel for sure. Dyker Heights, Mill Basin, Bergen Beach, Midwood... All areas that certainly feel much more suburban than urban by a long shot.

And I'm sure some would want a subway there, but to assume that the majority would is a big mistake.

I never said I was. You must know older people. You may have only talked to older people about the subject. But guess what? They are not the future. I believe it is the younger generations who need the say, because they will be there long after the people you claim don't want the subway are gone.

But at the end of the day, there are two things that make a subway viable regardless of what the people think. He first is Utica Avenue itself being one of the busiest bus corridors in the western hemisphere. Secondly, Kings Plaza. The line does not have to go into he neighborhood. It doesn't even have to go anywhere east of Flattish Avenue. A terminal at Avenue U will suffice.

I never said I was. You must know older people. You may have only talked to older people about the subject. But guess what? They are not the future. I believe it is the younger generations who need the say, because they will be there long after the people you claim don't want the subway are gone.

But at the end of the day, there are two things that make a subway viable regardless of what the people think. He first is Utica Avenue itself being one of the busiest bus corridors in the western hemisphere. Secondly, Kings Plaza. The line does not have to go into he neighborhood. It doesn't even have to go anywhere east of Flattish Avenue. A terminal at Avenue U will suffice.

Well that's the big question... If it stays away from Marine Park proper there would likely be less opposition, but to surmise that areas that don't have subways now really want them just because they don't exist... I wouldn't jump to such conclusions.  It isn't even a question of old people versus the younger generation either.  Plenty of people grow up and stay in neighborhoods when they're young and prefer the same style of living... Without subways... Keeps neighborhoods more close knit if anything.  In other words, Marine Park would not be the same with a subway.  There would likely be zoning changes, with the desire to redevelop the area, and the neighborhood would no longer be that quiet charming place that I've known for years growing up in South Brooklyn and hanging out down there.

Well that's the big question... If it stays away from Marine Park proper there would likely be less opposition, but to surmise that areas that don't have subways now really want them just because they don't exist... I wouldn't jump to such conclusions. It isn't even a question of old people versus the younger generation either. Plenty of people grow up and stay in neighborhoods when they're young and prefer the same style of living... Without subways... Keeps neighborhoods more close knit if anything. In other words, Marine Park would not be the same with a subway. There would likely be zoning changes, with the desire to redevelop the area, and the neighborhood would no longer be that quiet charming place that I've known for years growing up in South Brooklyn and hanging out down there.

That's he thing. Most conflict is young versus old. Older generations usually screwing things up and now those who come after them need to deal with the consequences. These days, the younger generations prefer alternative forms of transit as opposed to the car. Times change and so do people's mindsets, no matter where they grew up. Hell, if LA could do it, anybody can.

I think a better served extension is of the  (2) &  (5) to Kingsborough Community College.

(4) to Kings Plaza (which is what I assume is what the DOT is researching), is also a wonderful replacement to the B46 SBS. Something tells me if that was to happen, that would be the result.

Marine Park is a nice place, and I agree that an elevated would look strange, but the area could deserve it.

Even though the area seems very suburban now, as the city continues to expand in the next few decade it will most likely not stay that way. The area is pretty desirable, especially with a Utica Av subway.

That's he thing. Most conflict is young versus old. Older generations usually screwing things up and now those who come after them need to deal with the consequences. These days, the younger generations prefer alternative forms of transit as opposed to the car. Times change and so do people's mindsets, no matter where they grew up. Hell, if LA could do it, anybody can.

Amen to that. 

Marine Park is a nice place, and I agree that an elevated would look strange, but the area could deserve it.

Even though the area seems very suburban now, as the city continues to expand in the next few decade it will most likely not stay that way. The area is pretty desirable, especially with a Utica Av subway.

Underground to Kings Highway area Elevated south of that point  Utica seems wide enough for a single column elevated structure on a center Island think Airtrain or LA Light rail. Better blend into the area.

If I were living in Marine Park, I would oppose this and fight it tooth and nail.  Marine Park is a beautiful neighborhood, which would be destroyed by having a subway rammed through it.  It has a suburban feel and that's part of the charm to it.  Not every neighborhood needs or wants subway service.

I agree like Wakefield and Eastchester. Gotta enjoy that suburban feel.!

It's very good that the (MTA) is coming up with this ambitious idea. However, let me know when this actual idea is approved. Just too many plagued delays on projects that the TA has currently.

Areas like Marine Park & Bergen Beach can sure use a subway. Especially along the Nostrand Avenue corridor, Flatbush Avenue corridor. Those areas lack adequate bus service. The network needs to be expanded in the borough of Brooklyn.

It's very good that the (MTA) is coming up with this ambitious idea. However, let me know when this actual idea is approved. Just too many plagued delays on projects that the TA has currently.

Areas like Marine Park & Bergen Beach can sure use a subway. Especially along the Nostrand Avenue corridor, Flatbush Avenue corridor. Those areas lack adequate bus service. The network needs to be expanded in the borough of Brooklyn.

Beyond that Rogers Junction is going to need a major overhaul. rebuilding that while retaining service east of Franklin. I'd place that right under getting a man to Mars. That's going to be an undertaking!

lol... I'm sure the people in Bergen Beach are screaming for a subway, the same way they loved having the B3 bus serving them that was cut back to Avenue U due to a lack of ridership in the neighborhood.   Bergen Beach is isolated and the people living there enjoy it that way.  Just because there's no subway nearby on the map doesn't mean the community needs or wants one.  Same deal with Mill Basin.  All of my friends living there growing up liked living there because it was isolated and close knit, so you knew everyone, and there isn't that much caring about the subway since many people drive or take the express bus (BM1) into Manhattan.  All of my buddies in Gerritsen Beach (similar neighborhood in terms no subway) all drive to work and they are all young folks, and the ones that moved, all moved to similarly isolated neighborhoods such as Howard Beach.  

lol... I'm sure the people in Bergen Beach are screaming for a subway, the same way they loved having the B3 bus serving them that was cut back to Avenue U due to a lack of ridership in the neighborhood.   Bergen Beach is isolated and the people living there enjoy it that way.  Just because there's no subway nearby on the map doesn't mean the community needs or wants one.  Same deal with Mill Basin.  All of my friends living there growing up liked living there because it was isolated and close knit, so you knew everyone, and there isn't that much caring about the subway since many people drive or take the express bus (BM1) into Manhattan.  All of my buddies in Gerritsen Beach (similar neighborhood in terms no subway) all drive to work and they are all young folks, and the ones that moved, all moved to similarly isolated neighborhoods such as Howard Beach.  

If you build it they will come!

Archived