Metro North Rail Locomotive Engineer

The Saniter

I received an invitation email to take a test for this next month. Anyone know what to expect and the difficulty in getting this position?

I've seen plenty info on this site for LIRR but nothing specifically for MNRR.

Edited by The Saniter

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I received an invitation email to take a test for this next month. Anyone know what to expect and the difficulty in getting this position?

I've seen plenty info on this site for LIRR but nothing specifically for MNRR.

Did you call the number in the email ?  They send you a second email telling you the time your suppose to go and take the test.  The email also states you will receive study material soon before a certain date mine says i should get the study material no later than August 24th.  I too would like any tips or advice as this decision is hard for me as I am currently a T/O with almost 9 years. 

Did you call the number in the email ?  They send you a second email telling you the time your suppose to go and take the test.  The email also states you will receive study material soon before a certain date mine says i should get the study material no later than August 24th.  I too would like any tips or advice as this decision is hard for me as I am currently a T/O with almost 9 years. 

No I didnt call the number yet. I was planning on calling tomorrow or something. I didnt realize youre also going to be getting study material to take the test...Interesting but I'm looking forward to whatever they have

No I didnt call the number yet. I was planning on calling tomorrow or something. I didnt realize youre also going to be getting study material to take the test...Interesting but I'm looking forward to whatever they have

Yea you have to call them to verify your spot, they will tell you that you will get that second email to give you the time to be at the location.  Then the second email said you will be mailed materials to study, don't delay brother call first thing tomorrow morning and good luck to you.

Yea you have to call them to verify your spot, they will tell you that you will get that second email to give you the time to be at the location.  Then the second email said you will be mailed materials to study, don't delay brother call first thing tomorrow morning and good luck to you.

I appreciate that!! Thanks bro same to you!!

From most recent LIRR Loco Eng posting:

Training Program:

Phase 1: Training consists of a six (6) week non-compensated training program.  Class days and times will be determined, in part, based on availability of class participants and instructors.  For the duration of Phase 1, participating  LIRR employees will remain in their current position and must attend training classes on their own time and NOT on Company time.  Phase 1 training will include quizzes and examinations, which must be passed in order to move on to the next phase of training.

Phase 2: Training consists of a minimum of 12 months full-time compensated training.  Upon commencement of Phase 2, current LIRR employees will officially transfer to the position of Engineer Trainee.  Phase 2 Training will include qualifying exams on the operating rules, physical characteristics of the LIRR Transportation Services Department, air brake, and train handling.  Failure to obtain a passing grade on the mandatory exams will result in termination from the Training Program.

What i'm trying to find out is if MNRR has the same type of training program because if it does then that might disqualify me because I just started a new job as a B/O with NJT and that's going to have crazy hours which will make it difficult to attend!!  :unsure:  :(

From most recent LIRR Loco Eng posting:

Training Program:

Phase 1: Training consists of a six (6) week non-compensated training program. Class days and times will be determined, in part, based on availability of class participants and instructors. For the duration of Phase 1, participating LIRR employees will remain in their current position and must attend training classes on their own time and NOT on Company time. Phase 1 training will include quizzes and examinations, which must be passed in order to move on to the next phase of training.

Phase 2: Training consists of a minimum of 12 months full-time compensated training. Upon commencement of Phase 2, current LIRR employees will officially transfer to the position of Engineer Trainee. Phase 2 Training will include qualifying exams on the operating rules, physical characteristics of the LIRR Transportation Services Department, air brake, and train handling. Failure to obtain a passing grade on the mandatory exams will result in termination from the Training Program.

What i'm trying to find out is if MNRR has the same type of training program because if it does then that might disqualify me because I just started a new job as a B/O with NJT and that's going to have crazy hours which will make it difficult to attend!! :unsure::(

No it wont. Im able to still pull up the MNRR info. Nowhere in there does it mention any part (thats considered us being in training) having you study on your time uncompensated. Plus i asked that same q to a MN employee and they said thats a LI thing however that was since the last time MN posted which was sometime last year

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Yeah I think metro north is different. In the lirr thread, they were sent to an open house to take a test that they couldn't prepare for. We are being sent materials to study so that's 1 difference. I would think the training would be similar but I guess we gotta wait and see

I talked to a friend who is a Conductor for Metro North he said that the test he took was 70 questions and made the same suggestion that I seen everyone else say is to put the signals on flash cards and write them out repeatedly.

Do you think this test will be signals and definitions?

No it wont. Im able to still pull up the MNRR info. Nowhere in there does it mention any part (thats considered us being in training) having you study on your time uncompensated. Plus i asked that same q to a MN employee and they said thats a LI thing however that was since the last time MN posted which was sometime last year

I hear what youre saying. I'm hoping that it wont. 

Yeah I think metro north is different. In the lirr thread, they were sent to an open house to take a test that they couldn't prepare for. We are being sent materials to study so that's 1 difference. I would think the training would be similar but I guess we gotta wait and see

Yea that is true so hopefully it wont be like what I posted on LIRR

I don't know anything about the testing but once you get into engine school you are a Metro North employee and get paid from day one.

Truckie would you happen to know at what point Engine school begins? Do you have to go through a pre process like LIRR?

Damn they really going to make sure this is given to us on the deadline date lol August 24th at 4:59PM watch lol.

Lol yea if we dont get anything by today then were all studying starting the same time but at least we all know now when to expect it so we can search through our junk mails also

Truckie would you happen to know at what point Engine school begins? Do you have to go through a pre process like LIRR?

I don't know what LIRR does so I can not compare. MNR's process (at a minimum) is initial hiring test, background check, panel interview, medical testing (their doctor), physical ability test and if you get through all that you get called with a start date. Day one is usually orientation (filling out paperwork, having various MNR rep's talk to you,etc). Day 2 is the start of engine school. Edited by Truckie

I don't know what LIRR does so I can not compare. MNR's process (at a minimum) is initial hiring test, background check, panel interview, medical testing (their doctor), physical ability test and if you get through all that you get called with a start date. Day one is usually orientation (filling out paperwork, having various MNR rep's talk to you,etc). Day 2 is the start of engine school.

Thanks for the info. After reading thru the conductors forums. It seems months can past between each step. Is that the norm?

When i got hired for BO it was initial test, got called following year but when they started hiring process it was about 2 months then training began.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I don't know what LIRR does so I can not compare. MNR's process (at a minimum) is initial hiring test, background check, panel interview, medical testing (their doctor), physical ability test and if you get through all that you get called with a start date. Day one is usually orientation (filling out paperwork, having various MNR rep's talk to you,etc). Day 2 is the start of engine school.

I appreciate that info. Thanks!!!

So I guess it's safe to say that maybe MNRR is trying to give everyone the same opportunity for studying for this test being that I haven't received the study documents as yet. So hopefully by 5 PM today, I/we will have received the information needed so that we could get started and score well!!