Metro North Rail Locomotive Engineer

The Saniter

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My first post on the NYC Transit forum site. A lot of great information here. 

I also received an invitation email to take a test for this next month as well. I will actually be coming from out of state (MA) to be exact to take this test. Jokingly speaking, I bet a few people might be snarling about an outsider coming in from another state that is not NY or NJ, lol. Anyhow, a solid background in coach bus driving here in the SE part of MA might be why I got an invitation since coach operators are always on the go as well. I was actually not expecting an invite TBH. I realize though that I am up against it in some ways. I would think that I have even more pressure to score say a 95 at the very least or better than that, being from out of state and what have you. 

I called the number in the first e-mail. Then when I called to confirm and verify my attendance spot, they sent me the second e-mail with the time at the Hotel. I have my 9 page study guide which contains a lot of information in it. I have been able to take a lot of the information and put it on flash cards and it has helped. Study, study, study! =)

I am not sure if anyone would have the answer to this but my question is does anyone know if this test will be 'definition given and fill in the word' type of thing, or would you think that we are going to have to write out the definition to the term down to the T as it is on the study guide? I have pretty much figured that it is not going to be True/False, or multiple choice. 

Best of luck to all!  :)

I also received an invitation email to take a test for this next month as well. I will actually be coming from out of state (MA) to be exact to take this test. Jokingly speaking, I bet a few people might be snarling about an outsider coming in from another state that is not NY or NJ, lol. Anyhow, a solid background in coach bus driving here in the SE part of MA might be why I got an invitation since coach operators are always on the go as well. I was actually not expecting an invite TBH. I realize though that I am up against it in some ways. I would think that I have even more pressure to score say a 95 at the very least or better than that, being from out of state and what have you.

I called the number in the first e-mail. Then when I called to confirm and verify my attendance spot, they sent me the second e-mail with the time at the Hotel. I have my 9 page study guide which contains a lot of information in it. I have been able to take a lot of the information and put it on flash cards and it has helped. Study, study, study! =)

I am not sure if anyone would have the answer to this but my question is does anyone know if this test will be 'definition given and fill in the word' type of thing, or would you think that we are going to have to write out the definition to the term down to the T as it is on the study guide? I have pretty much figured that it is not going to be True/False, or multiple choice.

Best of luck to all! :)

I think we need to know the definitions verbatim but don't quote me on that. Good luck to you as well

Best of luck to all! :)

Welcome! Good to have another member. I know how you feel in regards to the email. Not only did i not expect it. I wouldnt have known about it if not for someone here mentioning they got one. And even then i didnt see it so i assumed i wasn't selected till i stumbled across it almost a week later while cleaning out inbox.

Now as for your question based on what I've read in our lirr counterparts thread. It's seems like it'd be best for all of us to assume the test will be free hand verbatim on everything they sent us. Truckie tho is a cool MN employee who visits when they have a chance so next time they do. We will all get a definitive answer

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Welcome! Good to have another member. I know how you feel in regards to the email. Not only did i not expect it. I wouldnt have known about it if not for someone here mentioning they got one. And even then i didnt see it so i assumed i wasn't selected till i stumbled across it almost a week later while cleaning out inbox.

Now as for your question based on what I've read in our lirr counterparts thread. It's seems like it'd be best for all of us to assume the test will be free hand verbatim on everything they sent us. Truckie tho is a cool MN employee who visits when they have a chance so next time they do. We will all get a definitive answer

Thanks for the welcome NJT. Appreciate that. 

I'm curious about how you are making out with the studying and how any others are on here as well? Feel free to chime in on how it is coming. Truth be told, I am having a bit of a struggle with trying to grasp some of the definitions. I have read, re-read, and re-re-read them and it just is not sticking yet. I have taken blank pieces of paper and written, and re-written, and re-re-written the definitions down to the terms and still nada :angry: I have Googled different methods for trying to learn to grasp verbatim if we are to assume that they will want the answers in that respect. One method I read about was to try and take the first letter of each word in the definition of the term and try and "connect-the-dots" that way. Has not really helped :wacko:  I read somewhere on some other thread that if you do not have great study habits, to really not even bother trying to take the test :(  I still have some time before I decide if I am going to make the trek to Manhattan to try and take the test. I'm going to keep plugging away and try and do the best that I can in preparation for the 14th. As it gets closer to the date, I will have a better idea where I stand. But one must learn to crawl before he/she can walk, and babble before he/she can speak :P And so, with that said, I must keep trying to learn these definitions!  :)  On the flip side, I am getting the signals better than the definitions! How do you figure that one?!  :lol: It is the "tell it back to me verbatim" that has me stumped. 

But anyhow, I was just curious, how are you (all) making out? 

Edited by JV620

Thanks for the welcome NJT. Appreciate that.

I'm curious about how you are making out with the studying and how any others are on here as well? Feel free to chime in on how it is coming. Truth be told, I am having a bit of a struggle with trying to grasp some of the definitions. I have read, re-read, and re-re-read them and it just is not sticking yet. I have taken blank pieces of paper and written, and re-written, and re-re-written the definitions down to the terms and still nada :angry: I have Googled different methods for trying to learn to grasp verbatim if we are to assume that they will want the answers in that respect. One method I read about was to try and take the first letter of each word in the definition of the term and try and "connect-the-dots" that way. Has not really helped :wacko: I read somewhere on some other thread that if you do not have great study habits, to really not even bother trying to take the test :( I still have some time before I decide if I am going to make the trek to Manhattan to try and take the test. I'm going to keep plugging away and try and do the best that I can in preparation for the 14th. As it gets closer to the date, I will have a better idea where I stand. But one must learn to crawl before he/she can walk, and babble before he/she can speak [emoji14] And so, with that said, I must keep trying to learn these definitions! :) On the flip side, I am getting the signals better than the definitions! How do you figure that one?! [emoji38] It is the "tell it back to me verbatim" that has me stumped.

But anyhow, I was just curious, how are you (all) making out?

I have the complete reverse. Im far stronger and confident with definitions than signals (some just wont stick).

I assure you you are not the only person ive spoken with whose studying isn't flowing as smooth as you would like and as such is wondering if they should even bother making the trip. To you and everyone else reading this coming for the test. The night before if you feel you honestly gave it your best to study this material yet your still unsure. Remember that old saying its best to try and fail than to not try at all.

To me "bad study habits" is one of two things. (1 proper study time wasn't invested(which obviously isnt your case). Or (2 time was invested, a person still failed the same material at least twice yet didn't change their study method or did 1.

. The night before if you feel you honestly gave it your best to study this material yet your still unsure. Remember that old saying its best to try and fail than to not try at all.

I totally agree!! I'm busting my brain open trying to study all this info!!! 

8 DAYS AWAY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:

I don't know anything about the testing but once you get into engine school you are a Metro North employee and get paid from day one.

Hey Truckie, do you by any chance know what Engine school consists of? 

So, FYI, if you guys who are studying for the upcoming test want to prepare better, try going to quizlet.com and searching for Metro North LET Definitions and Signals. Unfortunately, the 12 question signals name and indications are not on there, just the definitions. There are a bunch of different options for test taking. For example, you can set it up so that you can do it exactly how we are (or at least I am) preparing for the test - by writing out verbatim, word for word, all 62 answers. You can also set it up to try it multiple choice. Or True/False. A word of warning though: If you do try it word for word, you will get the answer marked wrong if your punctuation is not right as I have noted myself. If they are going to mark answers wrong for punctuation, I think I will just stay home. Check it out: 

ENGINE

INCORRECT: You said A unit, other than a track car, propelled by any form of energy. Or a combination of such units, operated by a single control used in train or yard service. Engines include diesel and electric multiple unit cars.

ANSWER: A unit, other than a track car, propelled by any form of energy, or a combination of such units operated from a single control, used in train or yard service. Engines include diesel and electric multiple unit cars.

As you can see, because I did not put the period in after the word energy, or place the comma after the word control - I got no credit for virtually having the actual answer itself correct. This is insane! Hope everyone will have their punctuation on tap on Wednesday! 

Edited by JV620

So in about 24 hours, most of us are probably going to be sitting in our chairs :wacko: - nervous wrecks about this test lol!! I know I will but I wish y'all the best tomorrow for whoever's taking this test!!!! :D See you then!!!

Wish you the best as well and good luck to everyone else. We got this

SOOOOO.....after waking up at 2 am and being up since THEN studying I finally made it out of the testing room!!! I was the 2nd to the last person out so whoever else from here was there, you probably saw me lol!!! Ironbound it was nice meeting you bro!!!

So out of 1000 questions, there was about 70 based on the Signals & Definitons!!! The BEAUTIFUL thing was that it was ALL multiple choice (Thank GOD!!!!!!)

3 classes of 12 students being planned throughout 2017!!! Hopefully I'll get that email that I passed in a few weeks!!!

How about everyone else who took it today, what'd you all think about the test?

SOOOOO.....after waking up at 2 am and being up since THEN studying I finally made it out of the testing room!!! I was the 2nd to the last person out so whoever else from here was there, you probably saw me lol!!! Ironbound it was nice meeting you bro!!!

So out of 1000 questions, there was about 70 based on the Signals & Definitons!!! The BEAUTIFUL thing was that it was ALL multiple choice (Thank GOD!!!!!!)

3 classes of 12 students being planned throughout 2017!!! Hopefully I'll get that email that I passed in a few weeks!!!

How about everyone else who took it today, what'd you all think about the test?

Wow! Now I am regretting not making the trek from here in SE Massachusetts (Cape Cod), down to the greatest city in the world. I honestly took a good long and hard look at how comfortable I felt with the material, how much I had learned in the twenty (20) days that we were given to study the materials, and having no real solid background in the Railroad field, or operations (only as a bus driver here in MA), I was not comfortable that I could go in, and ace the test with no problem. The reason why I thought that to be the case was simply because I believed that it was going to be all verbatim. I was actually hoping that it would be multiple choice, come to find out that it was. Ah well. I hate to throw away the chance at my dream job, and while I realize that coming off as a "foamer", so to speak, is rather looked down on, if I had to answer questions in a verbatim sense on that test, it would not have been pretty. I simply needed more time to study. Unfortunately, that was not to be the case. 

TheSaniter, you stated that there were 1,000 questions on the test. I don't think I quite understand: There were 62 definitions, and 12 signals. How did they come up with 1,000 questions on the test? And could you give me an idea of what types of questions were on there? I know that you mentioned 70 were on the signals alone. Damn! Also, any idea roughly as to how many current Metro North employees were there taking the test as a promotional versus off the street people? Or just how many took the test period? 

Good Luck Saniter and to all that took the test. For me, I want to be sure that to drive 4 hours from home, invest in parking, or a train ticket to Penn Station, the cost of lunch and gas afterwards, etc, etc, I had to feel that I could nail it. 95 or better. I did not feel that way, hence why I did not make the trip. Perhaps I will regret it later, perhaps not. I have always wanted to be apart of the railroad industry as a conductor, locomotive engineer, or a subway motorman. I hope to realize this dream someday. I may try put in for the open competitive exam for the train operator for the subway, but I don't think that I can take that because I am not a resident of NY state, but of MA. *Sigh*

Edited by JV620

Good Luck Saniter and to all that took the test. For me, I want to be sure that to drive 4 hours from home, invest in parking, or a train ticket to Penn Station, the cost of lunch and gas afterwards, etc, etc, I had to feel that I could nail it. 95 or better. I did not feel that way, hence why I did not make the trip. Perhaps I will regret it later, perhaps not. I have always wanted to be apart of the railroad industry as a conductor, locomotive engineer, or a subway motorman. I hope to realize this dream someday. I may try put in for the open competitive exam for the train operator for the subway, but I don't think that I can take that because I am not a resident of NY state, but of MA. *Sigh*

JV620, sorry you didnt make it out man but yea all multiple choice and it wasnt actually 1000 questions but it just felt like it lol 

Some of the questions were based on reading comprehension- NOTHING to do with anything we studied. There were 5 parts to the test. The 1st and 3rd part were reading and problem solving, 2nd part was actually on the S&D, 4th and 5th part were personal questions...............naerly 300 questions literally....i felt like i was in there forever....idk it could partly be because ive been up for over 12 hrs but like boogieman said, nows the waiting game.

I only met 1 MNRR employee whos taking the test as a promo, i didnt really meet anyone else.

It wasn't bad. Wasn't easy but definitely not as hard as I thought it would be. Now we play the waiting game

Yea i totally agree. Not too bad but definitely wasnt easy!!! I found a mistake that i made after taking the test. Im hoping that wont be a deal breaker for me but when youre up against about 150 people and theyre only taking the top 36....that might cost me but we'll see!!

Did you see the people that came late and got turned away that one dude looked like he ran from Brooklyn to Manhattan only to be told he was too late.

No I didnt see anyone that came in. I got there around 8ish with the intent to study but i was told once i sign in, there was no more studying. So they sat me alllll the way up front!!! I was the 1st in the room

Edited by The Saniter