September 4, 2016 Bus Route and Schedule Changes

BM5 via Woodhaven

B9:

Service runs every 4-5 minutes instead of 10 minutes during the AM rush (towards Kings Plaza)

B37:

- From 6-7 AM northbound, service operates every 18 minutes instead of 20 minutes

- Evening service now every 30 minutes instead of 20 minutes

B46 Local:

- Buses which used to originate/terminate at Avenue H at or before 7:28 AM now do so at Avenue N

B9: Sounds like a case of overcrowding.....

Change long overdue... Rush hour headways should've never been drastically tampered with like that to begin with....

B37: Great, so instead of 3 buses between that timeframe, those riders get an extra 1/3rd of a bus... How cute.

On top of it, they get an evening service cut...

B46: Laughing as I'm typing this, I find this to be quite comical..

For all that damn service they allocate to the SBS (every 4-6 mins out of kings plz. & every 2-3 from Av N), they're now having more locals extended to Av N... Of course, this won't come with any decrease of SBS' - There are too many riders on the route getting shunned between H' & N' because you have as many shorties ending at H....

You're seeing the difference between (the old) running of LTD's locally south of H', and today's SBS's doing no such thing...

...Oh, and with less resources dedicated to the "local" stops on top of it...

M20: http://web.mta.info/...anh/m020cur.pdf

- Service now every 20 minutes throughout the day on weekdays instead of pockets with 15 minute service

Buses never arrived anywhere near every 15 mins. in any pocket of the day anyway, regardless of direction whilst in the village..... It was more like every 20-30.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new QM1 schedule is even more confusing than it used to be! I assumed the purpose of the creating the 31 was to make a totally separate schedule for third ave buses, like they did with the QM7/8.

I would have thought so too. That looks like one jumbled up mess. For those riders using the bus at or west of 188 Street, you have to look through different parts of the schedule to identify the 3rd Avenue buses stopping at one stop and vice-versa. Same thing goes for the 6 Avenue buses (although they're usually more frequent in the rush than 3 Avenue, so maybe that's not a huge issue). With other schedules like the QM2 or QM4 schedule, it doesn't really hurt to show the service in one schedule, since there isn't so much on one schedule

Another thing: Can the QM11 get its own schedule now? Back when they split the QM24 to the QM24 and QM25, the QM25 was on a separate schedule, and still does to this day. So did the QM7/QM8 when the QM1/QM1A were split. What's the difference with the QM11? 

Just a note for everyone:

Even thought the x27/x37 and x28/x38 don't physically share a schedule anymore, they are still interlined and the routes are still combined for this pick.

Never understood why they did to begin with. I guess technically because they both serve parts of Bay Ridge but even that is debatable, as the X27 serves Bay Ridge proper. The X28 is more Dyker Heights on the Bay Ridge/Fort Hamilton border.

Never understood why they did to begin with. I guess technically because they both serve parts of Bay Ridge but even that is debatable, as the X27 serves Bay Ridge proper. The X28 is more Dyker Heights on the Bay Ridge/Fort Hamilton border.

Pretty sure it's because they share a depot and share a Manhattan terminal.

Usually routes that run in the same neighborhood share schedules if anything, buy that is likely the reason. When the X25 ran it too was on the same schedule with the X27 and X28.

That's because they were all based from Ulmer Park. The X25/X27/X28/X29/X37/X38 all shared on schedule (I actually have one schedule of it). The X25 was interlined with the X29. It's really an old practice.

That was much common in through the city, where the express bus lines from one depot or company (when they had the private bus lines) often shared a schedule with other routes, sometimes of those not even serving similar neighborhoods at some point. Most of them were eventually split into their own schedules, with several exceptions.

I would have thought so too. That looks like one jumbled up mess. For those riders using the bus at or west of 188 Street, you have to look through different parts of the schedule to identify the 3rd Avenue buses stopping at one stop and vice-versa. Same thing goes for the 6 Avenue buses (although they're usually more frequent in the rush than 3 Avenue, so maybe that's not a huge issue). With other schedules like the QM2 or QM4 schedule, it doesn't really hurt to show the service in one schedule, since there isn't so much on one schedule

Another thing: Can the QM11 get its own schedule now? Back when they split the QM24 to the QM24 and QM25, the QM25 was on a separate schedule, and still does to this day. So did the QM7/QM8 when the QM1/QM1A were split. What's the difference with the QM11?

Agree with all of that. I'd like to meet whoever is on charge of these schedules and yell at them. Also, there is practically no advertisement of these numbering changes.

Q2:

2:35 PM relief bus from 179 Street discontinued

Q3:

- Service between Jamaica and Merrick Blvd in the AM to JFK now every 12 minutes instead of 15

- Many short turns from Merrick Blvd to JFK discontinued

- More AM service to Jamaica from JFK

Q70:

- Select Bus Service begins on September 4

- Buses will now stop in the bus terminal (towards LGA) at the current Q47 stand

Q47:

- Service rerouted onto 78 Street going southbound in Northern Jackson Heights

- Buses to Terminal A will not stop at the current Q70 bus stop towards LaGuardia Airport at 74 Street

Q58 LIMITED:

- Service every 5-7 minutes instead of 10-12 minutes before 7 AM

- Service from 7-8 AM every 6 minutes instead of 10 minutes

- Service from 8-9 AM every 12 minutes instead of 10 minutes

- Service after 9 AM every 20 minutes instead of 15 minutes

- 11:07 AM bus from Ridgewood discontinued, last bus now at 10:53 AM

- 12:08 PM and 12:20 PM buses from Flushing discontinued, last bus now at 12:00 PM

- First PM bus from Ridgewood now at 2:35 PM instead of 3:00 PM

- Service every 7 minutes during the PM instead of 8 minutes

Q58 Local:

- Service every 4 minutes instead of 7 minutes from 5 AM to 6 AM

- Service every 9 minutes instead of 8 minutes from 7 AM to 8 AM

- Service every 5-6 minutes instead of 8-10 minutes during midday hours

- More frequent service throughout PM rush and evening

Q2: Ok, but will that particular trip run out of 165th, or is it being completely discontinued?

Q3: (IMO, these changes are) A step in the right direction, being that I never cared for how the MTA operated this route.... I would actually increase the amount of short turn trips(and extend them to all to Bedell on top of it) and completely get rid of any JFK - Merrick trips.... I wouldn't have every trip running to/from JFK making all local stops to 165th either....

Q47/Q70: Yep, good... This should have been the case, the second the Q33 was even split to form the Q70.... The Q45 never had a lane inside Moore terminal & since it was combined with the (old) Q47 to form (today's) Q47, space should've been made for the Q70 inside the terminal - Instead of having (LGA bound) pax that used to bombard the (old) Q33 now having to scurry from the subway entrance & what not, to the stop along Roosevelt for buses since the Q70's inception....

Q58: To sum it up, they're curtailing the span of LTD service & using local service to fill in the gaps..... I'm guessing all of those cumulative changes (local/LTD) are cost neutral, or close to it..... Don't really have too strong an opinion on it all, either way....

Agree with all of that. I'd like to meet whoever is on charge of these schedules and yell at them. Also, there is practically no advertisement of these numbering changes.

When things like this take place, changes aren't usually advertised anywhere other than the inside of buses.

I can't find any of my old QM5 schedules but I know the GO QM1A had AM SX runs.. I could be wrong I thought I saw those runs in later schedules. 

When was this? I can look it up and confirm.....

When things like this take place, changes aren't usually advertised anywhere other than the inside of buses.

That is understandable, but I've been taking the QM1/5/6 just about every day for the whole summer, including this past Friday, and I've seen zero notices at all. Same goes for the poles (which is where the advertised the QM5 via Fresh Meadows in December at the last minute).

Considering that the re-numbering affects a big chunk of Queens EXP runs, they could send out an email regarding the changes, or put up a press release on the website. You'd think the MTA wants to publicly congratulate itself on fixing this problem they invented.  

That's funny. I have never heard of this trip...and a relief to what?

While I didn't know how many Q2's there were that did this, I knew there was at least 1 trip that started @ 179th....

As for a relief to what, I have no idea.....

Never mind, I got the thing wrong. They ADDED a 2:35 PM relief. Now there are two buses which leave at 2:35 PM.

Two Q2's that leave 179th at the same time? That makes even less sense, but okay......

Maybe those were Wall Street trips. The last three QM8 trips are SX.

That's what it was, my mistake. 

I was looking at the old 07-fall 09 schedules... Now I'm curious as to why there aren't any AM SX runs to Midtown

The Bx10 has been using Sedgwick-Mosholu-Paul for the past week or so, I thought it was due to Reservoir construction again but MTA finally had the sense to straighten the route out. Not sure if any of the runs have changed. http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bronx/bx010cur.pdf

Q58: To sum it up, they're curtailing the span of LTD service & using local service to fill in the gaps..... I'm guessing all of those cumulative changes (local/LTD) are cost neutral, or close to it..... Don't really have too strong an opinion on it all, either way....

TBH a lot of those "midday" Q58's made local stops anyway.

Anyway on a side note, I rode the X28 today from Manhattan, and it already has more people than the QM4 :P

That's what it was, my mistake. 

I was looking at the old 07-fall 09 schedules... Now I'm curious as to why there aren't any AM SX runs to Midtown

The Bx10 has been using Sedgwick-Mosholu-Paul for the past week or so, I thought it was due to Reservoir construction again but MTA finally had the sense to straighten the route out. Not sure if any of the runs have changed. http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bronx/bx010cur.pdf

Its been going on since the beginning of August.

Archived