Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
BM5 via Woodhaven

September 4, 2016 Bus Route and Schedule Changes

Q70 SBS has been postponed for a few extra weeks. Start date not known.

I'm guessing they're waiting for more press and media on the LaGuardia Link is going to be a thing. Plus, doesn't Cuomo have to have a press conference for it?

• Upvote 2

I'm guessing they're waiting for more press and media on the LaGuardia Link is going to be a thing. Plus, doesn't Cuomo have to have a press conference for it?

Yes, but he's been busy this week with Hermine and all.

The Q70 SBS will not be allowed to start until our benevolent MTA Shadow Chairman Governor has a Sunday or Monday morning opening on his schedule. Best case, it might start next Monday the 12th or Sunday the 18th.

Edited by paulrivera
  • Upvote 1

Is there really a point on renumbering all the Queens express buses. Couldn't they have just added an A next to the original numbers instead

no they don't add letters to routes anymore.

no they don't add letters to routes anymore.

Q15A, M34A?

Edited by Union Tpke

Is there really a point on renumbering all the Queens express buses. Couldn't they have just added an A next to the original numbers instead

Breaking up the 3rd Ave portions of the routes was just another way for the MTA to know which portions have good ridership and cut where possible. The MTA should be promoting express bus routes and encourage more people to use them. I would try the QM4 myself but it does not go where I need to go most of the time and the Q64 runs crazy fast so there is no point in waiting for it.

Personally I believe they should have been left the same. Why not break up the BM routes that also go through downtown first before heading to Midtown. Why not rename all the X17 branches? I would suggest breaking the X64, X68 and X63 branches but those routes already have poor ridership as it is. The only route from there that I see that had some potential to even grow would be the X68 if it got a rerouted or whatever.

Breaking up the 3rd Ave portions of the routes was just another way for the MTA to know which portions have good ridership and cut where possible. The MTA should be promoting express bus routes and encourage more people to use them. I would try the QM4 myself but it does not go where I need to go most of the time and the Q64 runs crazy fast so there is no point in waiting for it.

Personally I believe they should have been left the same. Why not break up the BM routes that also go through downtown first before heading to Midtown. Why not rename all the X17 branches? I would suggest breaking the X64, X68 and X63 branches but those routes already have poor ridership as it is. The only route from there that I see that had some potential to even grow would be the X68 if it got a rerouted or whatever.

QM1A was perfectly fine. Maybe the Lake Success branch could be renumbered but the others could've remained.

QM30, 31, 32, just sounds ridiculous

I personally believe that the whole renumbering scheme is nothing more than the (MTA) trying to "market" 3rd Avenue service and then axing it where possible if there isn't enough ridership.  This is what happens since Queens express bus riders aren't vocal overall.  I use all my service in my neighborhood (all three express buses, Metro-North and even the (1) train once in a while).

I personally believe that the whole renumbering scheme is nothing more than the (MTA) trying to "market" 3rd Avenue service and then axing it where possible if there isn't enough ridership.  This is what happens since Queens express bus riders aren't vocal overall.  I use all my service in my neighborhood (all three express buses, Metro-North and even the (1) train once in a while).

I'd be a bit alerted for Union Turnpike. That last 3 Avenue bus from Glen Oaks now operates via Fresh Meadows (which doesn't replace anything; it's just a new addition), but I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to have some more QM35's via Fresh Meadows in the morning.

I'd be a bit alerted for Union Turnpike. That last 3 Avenue bus from Glen Oaks now operates via Fresh Meadows (which doesn't replace anything; it's just a new addition), but I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to have some more QM35's via Fresh Meadows in the morning.

I told you a while ago that once the (MTA) starts cutting they get greedy, and you saw what they did and continue to do with the QM1.  I think they're going to look to cut anything they can from the QM lines because most of the trips are long and expensive.  They would rather push those people to the LIRR if anything or to the subway.  If the communities that have QM express bus service were more vocal politically perhaps there wouldn't be as many cuts, but if more people are going to run to the subway over the express bus or opt for the LIRR, well then that just makes it easier for the (MTA).  You see folks in my neighborhood will still take the express bus because it is a comfortable ride, even if that means leaving a bit earlier or they'll alternate between Metro-North and the express bus, but they won't completely ditch the service because it is a time saver for those going to the Upper East Side or Upper West Side.  Even the people that take the BxM18 Downtown... They will not take the subway even with the delays.  They will stick with the express bus.

I told you a while ago that once the (MTA) starts cutting they get greedy, and you saw what they did and continue to do with the QM1. I think they're going to look to cut anything they can from the QM lines because most of the trips are long and expensive. They would rather push those people to the LIRR if anything or to the subway. If the communities that have QM express bus service were more vocal politically perhaps there wouldn't be as many cuts, but if more people are going to run to the subway over the express bus or opt for the LIRR, well then that just makes it easier for the (MTA). You see folks in my neighborhood will still take the express bus because it is a comfortable ride, even if that means leaving a bit earlier or they'll alternate between Metro-North and the express bus, but they won't completely ditch the service because it is a time saver for those going to the Upper East Side or Upper West Side. Even the people that take the BxM18 Downtown... They will not take the subway even with the delays. They will stick with the express bus.

Part of the problem is that some of the elected officials dont care enough to help even when we complain. One of the state assemblywomen I contacted multiple times (Nily Rozic) who ran on a platform of expanding EXP service on Union Tpke, never responded to any of my messages. Rory Lanceman, on the other hand, responded right away and wrote a letter to the MTA

Part of the problem is that some of the elected officials dont care enough to help even when we complain. One of the state assemblywomen I contacted multiple times (Nily Rozic) who ran on a platform of expanding EXP service on Union Tpke, never responded to any of my messages. Rory Lanceman, on the other hand, responded right away and wrote a letter to the MTA

I would've called her office. Some offices prefer to talk over the phone. I write to most of my elected officials, and one of them loves to call me up and chat, which I suppose makes it more personal. I've also had one office send me a copy of my request for later express bus service on the BxM18 that was written to the (MTA), which didn't go anywhere, but showed me that at least I was being listened to. Aside from that on a few occasions, we've had petitions circulated when our elected officials' efforts weren't fruitful. I do know that some offices work in conjunction with the community.

...but if more people are going to run to the subway over the express bus or opt for the LIRR, well then that just makes it easier for the (MTA).  

In other words, when fewer bodies ride the bus, you end up with fewer buses. That's just math.

It's tough to justify expanding service for a shrinking market.

It looks like those new B9 trips in the AM rush that (in the timetable) start at 5 Avenue, actually deadhead up Bay Ridge Avenue (passing full in service B9's on the way <_< ) and start at the (R) train station.

Does anyone have pictures of the NEW destination signs the the QM31, QM32, QM35, QM36, QM40, QM42 as well as their bus stops? Just curious as to what they would look like.

Does anyone have pictures of the NEW destination signs the the QM31, QM32, QM35, QM36, QM40, QM42 as well as their bus stops? Just curious as to what they would look like.

This one is from last week, on my way to catch the Q88:

29240855610_2473bc55ed_b.jpg2005 MCI D4500CL 3128 on the QM35 at Queens Boulevard/59 Avenue by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

It's like the old "via 3 Avenue" designations, and it still says "EAST MIDTOWN/55 STREET"

I would go try to get all the others, but I'm either too tired or too busy to go into Manhattan and get some shots.

IDK about Union Turnpike, but none of the QM10, or QM12 stops have been changed to also include the QM40 and QM42, respectively.

Edited by BM5 via WOODHAVEN BL
  • Upvote 1

None of the lollipop signs on Union Turnpike have been changed as of last Friday.

A lot of the bus stops in Queens didn't get the change. The only ones I know that got updated was the QM34.

A lot of the bus stops in Queens didn't get the change. The only ones I know that got updated was the QM34.

All QM44 stops are also updated in Queens (and, after originally messing it up). Of course, all the stops in Manhattan are already changed. Who knows how long it'll take the DOT to change the sign, and hopefully, they don't mess up the signs.

It's tough to justify expanding service for a shrinking market.

Has it been shrinking? For the QM1/5/6, in the last report I read, weekend use was waaay up, and weekday use was about the same from the previous year. What data are you referring to?

It's interesting how a few buses are missing the new program. A few weeks ago I still saw the QM4 via 3rd Ave destination and I saw another bus with that same program earlier this week. Unfortunately I don't remember the numbers of the buses.