Hurricane Hermine

Abba

I noticed that the TA has put about a dozen or so buses from the Meredith Depot at the Eltingville Transit Center. 

If this is situation for bad coastal flooding, I hope NJ Transit (which has MNR equipment) is moving trains out of low-lying areas in the Meadowlands-area to areas north and west which should experience only minor affects from the storm.

Half the point of the thorough construction work on affected stations has been to prepare the system for future storms. Fix and Fortify is the operative term, which is what happened in the Montague and others. 34th St. is not in a serious flood zone and was built with flooding in mind, and the Canarsie can flood all they want...still being rebuilt.

If by being built with flooding in mind, you mean the flood of water reduced to a trickle, I guess so. :rolleyes:

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/108060235-story

In September 2015, the 7 line extension at 34 St-Hudson Yards welcomed its first riders on the far West Side. It has modern amenities, beautiful art, and now ground water coming into the station. Problems at the brand-new station include water stains on the ceiling, bathrooms and two escalators out of service, and visible corrosion on all of the escalators.

I know this is a past-issue now - and as we all saw/see, even with the storm hanging around a few days, there just isn't enough energy in the system for it to have a particularly strong punch. 

Sandy really was an anomaly - I'm not saying that hurricane preparedness is unwise, quite the opposite - however it is important to realize that, generally, New York is pretty well protected naturally from hurricanes. 

It is very difficult for a hurricane to make a direct hit on NYC. First, this far north, a tropical cyclone has lost a lot of the thermal energy driving it. Second, with NJ to the south and LI to the east, much of a hurricane will be over land before it strikes NYC which saps it of a lot of it's energy. 

With Sandy, the 'frankenstorm', the tropical warm air was sequestered from the rest of the system by a Nor'Easter's infusion of cold air. This allowed it not only to maintain it's strength, but grow gigantic. Second, a low pressure system over the continental US facilitated it's unprecedented turn toward the west. 

Anyway - yada yada yada we all needn't freak out everytime a tropical cyclone will be within the vicinity of NYC. 

The big storm preparation measure that I haven't seen talked about here - I'm pretty sure they cleared out Coney Island Yard. The NQR in manhattan and the DNR in brooklyn saw their express tracks used for parking all weekend. 

Archived