WiFi Equipped NYC Subway Cars

East New York

Little more than 90 days ago the MTA commenced a pilot program where they began testing WiFi on 10 subway cars (2 trains.)

In an era where all new cars from the R211 contract and newer will be equipped with WiFi, MTA is trying the weigh the pros and cons of adding wifi to existing R160 and R179 equipment. The testing period is set to last through December 31's of this year.

Upon completion MTA may then decide if they would like to commit to further testing, retrofit newer trains with wifi, or just scrap the plan and wait until new cars arrive in the coming years.

At this time, MTA has WiFi installed on 4 of the 5-cars R160 sets. 

Anyone who happens to catch one of these sets is encouraged to try out the WiFi (TransitWireless), and tell us all what you think.

Wired (E) Train Sets include:

9563-9564-9565-9566-9567     9467-9466-9465-9464-9463  

9523-9524-9525-9526-9527     9607-9696-9605-9604-9603

I was initially opposed to this plan, but if they're going to put it on some cars, then they might as well do all of them.  Just from a transit perspective, having internet underground has allowed me to make connections that otherwise wouldn't have been likely.  My question is though, where are they getting the funding to do this?  

I was also against the idea of WiFi in subway cars to a degree, but it kinda has its benefits too, especially for emergency situations.

What I wanna know is are they/when are they going to install cameras in those cars?

I was initially opposed to this plan, but if they're going to put it on some cars, then they might as well do all of them.  Just from a transit perspective, having internet underground has allowed me to make connections that otherwise wouldn't have been likely.  My question is though, where are they getting the funding to do this?  

I also think that the benefits outweigh the negatives (especially since the aboveground lines have people chatting on phones and using 4G anyway). That is, so long as people aren't dumb and pulling out devices obliviously so they get stolen

As I've said before, WiFi on the subway is something that can be incredibly useful, not just for personal uses but also for way finding.

My only issues are with the USB charging ports and phone service. (However, the phone service was incredibly useful, when there was a sick passenger on the (D) train this morning.

If I remember correctly, WiFi in the system (or at least the ones in station) is actually a completely separate company that sells access to the major carriers and is 100% self-funded. There's an interesting article on it here.

I also think that the benefits outweigh the negatives (especially since the aboveground lines have people chatting on phones and using 4G anyway). That is, so long as people aren't dumb and pulling out devices obliviously so they get stolen

Well what I notice is that often times when I take Metro-North for example (i.e. this morning and just about every day so far this month), I'm usually the only one that isn't on some sort of device. It always baffles me what people do on their devices that they NEVER look up even for a second.  It's also a way for people to excuse themselves from interacting with others, and we as a society (particularly with my generation and the ones coming up) are becoming terrible at being socially interactive with others.  I like to just put down the phone sometimes and do human things like looking out of the window and daydreaming.  It's the same thing on the subway. Very few people don't have their phones out or some other device.  Sunday afternoon I was coming into the city from Riverdale, and this guy is with his son (I assume).  He was so engrossed in whatever the hell he was playing that he completely didn't hear any of the stops announced, and missed the stop for Yankee stadium (he was attending a ball game I assume based on his gear).  It wasn't until the train was well out of the station that he jumped up and asked if the station had been passed.  I thought to myself, you don't know what stop you're getting off and yet you get into this game instead of listening to the announcements? All of this technology (as much as I use it and enjoy it) is being abused and just allows people to zone out.  

As for devices being stolen, I don't think people care, and with the technology being around, thefts will continue to increase but because people lack common sense.

If I remember correctly, WiFi in the system (or at least the ones in station) is actually a completely separate company that sells access to the major carriers and is 100% self-funded. There's an interesting article on it here.

Yes I know the WiFi in the stations is paid for privately, but it isn't clear about inside the subway cars.  I also want to know will all stations have WiFi (including the ones above ground)?  It seems rather dumb to have it underground but not above ground when the service is essentially complimentary.  When I go to Whole Foods now (at the Upper East Side location anyway) I notice that there's free WiFi, so it is quite common now in most places.

Well what I notice is that often times when I take Metro-North for example (i.e. this morning and just about every day so far this month), I'm usually the only one that isn't on some sort of device. It always baffles me what people do on their devices that they NEVER look up even for a second. It's also a way for people to excuse themselves from interacting with others, and we as a society (particularly with my generation and the ones coming up) are becoming terrible at being socially interactive with others. I like to just put down the phone sometimes and do human things like looking out of the window and daydreaming. It's the same thing on the subway. Very few people don't have their phones out or some other device. Sunday afternoon I was coming into the city from Riverdale, and this guy is with his son (I assume). He was so engrossed in whatever the hell he was playing that he completely didn't hear any of the stops announced, and missed the stop for Yankee stadium (he was attending a ball game I assume based on his gear). It wasn't until the train was well out of the station that he jumped up and asked if the station had been passed. I thought to myself, you don't know what stop you're getting off and yet you get into this game instead of listening to the announcements? All of this technology (as much as I use it and enjoy it) is being abused and just allows people to zone out.

As for devices being stolen, I don't think people care, and with the technology being around, thefts will continue to increase but because people lack common sense.

Yes I know the WiFi in the stations is paid for privately, but it isn't clear about inside the subway cars. I also want to know will all stations have WiFi (including the ones above ground)? It seems rather dumb to have it underground but not above ground when the service is essentially complimentary. When I go to Whole Foods now (at the Upper East Side location anyway) I notice that there's free WiFi, so it is quite common now in most places.

The Art of Communication has been lost and it continues to be that way. It's all about keeping the masses distracted from the real issuses of society.

Well what I notice is that often times when I take Metro-North for example (i.e. this morning and just about every day so far this month), I'm usually the only one that isn't on some sort of device. It always baffles me what people do on their devices that they NEVER look up even for a second.  It's also a way for people to excuse themselves from interacting with others, and we as a society (particularly with my generation and the ones coming up) are becoming terrible at being socially interactive with others.  I like to just put down the phone sometimes and do human things like looking out of the window and daydreaming.  It's the same thing on the subway. Very few people don't have their phones out or some other device.  Sunday afternoon I was coming into the city from Riverdale, and this guy is with his son (I assume).  He was so engrossed in whatever the hell he was playing that he completely didn't hear any of the stops announced, and missed the stop for Yankee stadium (he was attending a ball game I assume based on his gear).  It wasn't until the train was well out of the station that he jumped up and asked if the station had been passed.  I thought to myself, you don't know what stop you're getting off and yet you get into this game instead of listening to the announcements? All of this technology (as much as I use it and enjoy it) is being abused and just allows people to zone out.  

Yes I know the WiFi in the stations is paid for privately, but it isn't clear about inside the subway cars.  I also want to know will all stations have WiFi (including the ones above ground)?  It seems rather dumb to have it underground but not above ground when the service is essentially complimentary.  When I go to Whole Foods now (at the Upper East Side location anyway) I notice that there's free WiFi, so it is quite common now in most places.

I am with you. I actually read a book, or pay attention to my surroundings. This is why people miss their stops, why trains are delayed and why people get robbed. I see kindergartners with their own cell phone, and I am not surprised that they don't know how to communicate with others, how to socialize, and they become self-obsessed. People need to see the world around them, not just what they think or what they get off of the internet. I never got a phone until the summer after eighth grade, and it is only a cellphone, no apps, none of anything. I hate social media and my brother and I might be the only people in my school not to use snapchat, twitter, facebook, or whatever kids are doing these days. I try to separate myself from most of them. I don't pay attention to pop culture. I hate how in the middle of class, I see some people just sneaking their phones to take pictures of themselves. I can't stand it! You know what your gosh-darn face looks like. It is not like it changed. Why are they so self-obsessed. I have never taken a selfie and I hate getting my picture taken. People have become so intertwined with their devices, and this explains why they would be willing to jump on the tracks to get them back. The phone is their entire life and this is wrong. This is a problem that needs to be fixed in today's society.

Keep in mind that the original impetus of the project was cell service in stations; Wi-Fi was secondary. Above-ground stations already have cell service, which means that Transit Wireless or whoever will win such a contract if issued can't charge carriers fees for using the cables they wire up stations with. Less profit means less reason to do it; it's not as if public Wi-Fi is a huge moneymaker.

Keep in mind that the original impetus of the project was cell service in stations; Wi-Fi was secondary. Above-ground stations already have cell service, which means that Transit Wireless or whoever will win such a contract if issued can't charge carriers fees for using the cables they wire up stations with. Less profit means less reason to do it; it's not as if public Wi-Fi is a huge moneymaker.

Well of course, but perhaps the WiFi popping up around the city will fill the gap in those cases.  What is wild to me is how many of these WiFi stations are popping up on the street.  You have people (mainly homeless people) literally camping out next to them with crates worshiping them.  I'm thinking, dude you don't need to be next to them to access them.

Well of course, but perhaps the WiFi popping up around the city will fill the gap in those cases.  What is wild to me is how many of these WiFi stations are popping up on the street.  You have people (mainly homeless people) literally camping out next to them with crates worshiping them.  I'm thinking, dude you don't need to be next to them to access them.

I believe they also have charging ports.

I think we could look at WiFi equipment in cars as a utility as well. Remember WiFi isn't just used for connecting to the internet itself it's used with other wireless standards like Bluetooth LE to track trains IE: the countdown clocks on Broadway. WiFi could also be a great tool to get real-time information to riders via their smartphones but also the Trains themselves and onboard systems and displays for service issues and disruptions. There could be a bigger play if we think of the uses of the 802.11/15 standards overall.

could you imagine being so much of a nerd that you are bothered by people using their cell phones? seems sad..

The benefits of wifi, 4g, and phone service underground is pretty great considering all the emergency and wayfinding situations you can find yourself in. Being able to use the internet underground makes for less boring train rides.

people use their phones and will do so regardless of wifi being on trains or not. can't access internet? that's fine, the just play an offline game.

grow up and get with the times please.

could you imagine being so much of a nerd that you are bothered by people using their cell phones? seems sad..

The benefits of wifi, 4g, and phone service underground is pretty great considering all the emergency and wayfinding situations you can find yourself in. Being able to use the internet underground makes for less boring train rides.

people use their phones and will do so regardless of wifi being on trains or not. can't access internet? that's fine, the just play an offline game.

grow up and get with the times please.

Please.  We ALL use cellphones.  There's a difference between use and abuse.  When you are so obsessed with a cell phone that you don't even know what stop your train is pulling into or you miss your stop entirely because they're too zoned out to even notice, I'd say that's a problem.  Has nothing to do with someone being a nerd.  If anything nerds tend to use gadgets more than anyone else.

Please. We ALL use cellphones. There's a difference between use and abuse. When you are so obsessed with a cell phone that you don't even know what stop your train is pulling into or you miss your stop entirely because they're too zoned out to even notice, I'd say that's a problem. Has nothing to do with someone being a nerd. If anything nerds tend to use gadgets more than anyone else.

Lol feeling supreme for your tech use/lackthereof is definitely nerdy...

Cell phones are fine and the only ones abusing them on trains are the ones creeping people taking pics.. other than that I could care less if someone misses their stop. That's their problem, not mine.

Lol feeling supreme for your tech use/lackthereof is definitely nerdy...

Cell phones are fine and the only ones abusing them on trains are the ones creeping people taking pics.. other than that I could care less if someone misses their stop. That's their problem, not mine.

No one feels supreme.  It's called being human.  I sure as hell use my cell phone when I need and in fact when on the express bus or Metro-North where there tends to be fewer skeevy folks around, I am a bit more comfortable having it out, but I am still also aware of my surroundings regardless of the circumstances.  In a way WiFi will help many people but also make those who abuse their phones just abuse them more and zone out more, like the people you see almost getting run over because they are texting and walking in the street, so basically we will all have to pay more attention to those idiots for our own safety.

No one feels supreme. It's called being human. I sure as hell use my cell phone when I need and in fact when on the express bus or Metro-North where there tends to be fewer skeevy folks around, I am a bit more comfortable having it out, but I am still also aware of my surroundings regardless of the circumstances. In a way WiFi will help many people but also make those who abuse their phones just abuse them more and zone out more, like the people you see almost getting run over because they are texting and walking in the street, so basically we will all have to pay more attention to those idiots for our own safety.

Hmm. Interesting idea, but I never find myself at risk of getting ran over because I'm using my cell phone on the train...

Well since you're a smart one, let's apply the idea to the idiots blocking the door because they're using their cell phones that have to be shoved out of the way.

you let them know you'll be getting off the train next stop, just as you'd deal with anyone who's blocking the door without using a cell phone. language is powerful!

you let them know you'll be getting off the train next stop, just as you'd deal with anyone who's blocking the door without using a cell phone. language is powerful!

lol... Yeah that works well.  Even the people without cell phones rush towards the door as you're trying to get off and they don't have cell phones.  I say excuse me once if it's appropriate to do so and then you are getting shoved out of the way as I have done to several rude individuals bum rushing the train or blocking the doors when I'm trying to exit the train.

A lot of tech savvy idiots out here. Idiots or unaware? 

They're idiots if they're so engaged that they're unaware of their surroundings, which is why with things like expanded WiFi on the trains now you'll see more people getting jacked for their phones.  Too many people walking around like zombies with cell phones.  Now I've found myself doing the same more and more (walking with the cell phone in my hand just out of habit) but I always try to avoid walking and texting or using the cell on the subway unless necessary, and if I do, I don't hinder others in the process of going on with their commute.

Archived