Suffolk Transit October 10th Cuts and changes

mac5689

My bad i was aaserted by the (MTA) Railroad map which showed prior to 2011 a bubble comic quota saying * s66 Center Moriches so i was connected by this mentioning

The s66 is a very busy route is the s1 parody of the east. ..having it extended to Riverhead was a blessing for Suffolk countyresidents and for the most part east end residents. ..eliminating a 12 noon run is the dumbest idea...heck the dat bbefore yesterday when i went to Riverhead to take the s90 the 12noon s66 arrived 1157pm (it just barely missed the East Hampton bound s92 so there's a transfer loss sadly) and about12 people dismount wwhile about 14 boarded the 12noon s66 ...in my opinion with this cut an estimate of 32-35 will board the 1pm s66 bus with ALL seats taken and small space available. ..SCT knows this route is very busy it is of the 3 escaping routes out ofRiverhead. The most busiest about 3 times busier. Than the s58 (which STILL anulles a service in between that 2 hour gap) and 5 times busier than the s62 .

Lets talk more clearly. ..mastic moriches and Patchogue has many people of low income. And thus has many carless. ..Riverhead is an important judicial agglomeration area and has many carless people...the s66 works for those many carless people and eeliminating that 12pm run issimply dumb

Allrest that the SCT reinstates the12noon run to Patchogue. ..this ain't the s58 were talking about thestrong s66...for some the 2 hhour gap of the s58 is not so bad since theres another route thar replaces that gap (s62)

All to revive the s71,90,5A and the 12pm run on the s66

All to revive the s71,90,5A and the 12pm run on the s66

Again the money. Suffolk was paying a couple thousand, based on 2012 figures, for some of those routes with very little to no passengers. 

It was already pointed in other threads that some of the routes didn't carry as much as you may think. (Not to mention two of those routes, the s71 and s90, were never very reliable for most of their history, and didn't have the best scheduling. The worst route I've ever taken was the S71. All those time it was nearly point to point, it was long boring, and at least once I wanted to get off before the bus got to where I was going. And while I was waiting for it once, it was running late, I had seriously wished I could have taken the S66 to Patchouge and transferred to another route that went nearby were I was going.) 

The 12 Noon run, although like a year or two ago, didn't carry that much. when ever I saw it. And I'm sure that the average for the run is quite low otherwise they wouldn't be cut.

Also I know the demographics of my communities, I clearly remember the movement to boycott WBLI after what one of their former morning anchor's said about the area and the dislike most have to the poor, while I'm not sure the exactly number of people without cars, and the exact number of people who wait at all the bus stops throughout during every run. I'm certain that it's not enough to warrant the need to run an under used run. The 2:00 run that that B5 was on average about one rider per stop that it stopped at, while I'm not saying that it should be cut, I'm just saying that every run is different and the ridership of one run can't be used to justified to keep another run. 

Also the make up of the community can't be used as justification to keep a run either. If nobody is riding it, and you don't have the money to operate it, then you shouldn't be running it. (It's just like in business, Businesses close down locations, or products, if they are aren't bring in money no matter if people are using it. (King Kullen closed four nonperforming stores in the past two years. One location was in a location of what would be a low income aera though that area had plenty of other places to buy groceries)

I must know a point of view from a natural long islander and you're absolutely right although in much doubt. ..the elimination of the s90 and s71 is based. On the low ridership (sic) then again it carries passengers. ..now what i don't know is if the day i took both the s71 and s90 was atypical passenger count or just straphangers wishing to save the lines since in the s90 two passenger were straphangers and in the s71 seven were possible straphangers (i say this way since i dismounted in Selden)

I know it is a waste of money but now Speonk Westhampton and Quogue is left with NO bus service with a vast area with zero bus coverage. ..also Yaphank is left with NO bus routes (except the one trip of. The s68) ...Brookhaven town hall is reachable by the s61 only

IMO the s71 and s90should've merge and run from Stony Brook RR to Riverhead since a trip from Stony Brook to Shirley is 1h10 from Shirley to Centre Moriches about 10 minutes and fromCenter Moriches to rRiverhead 35 minutes a total of 1h55 a full trip and a 5 minute brake for the B/O...i would say that thishypothetical route would have a two hour headway in other word . Two bus units would be used

Early this year the n51 n80/81 died and just last month these route . Were reinstated as well as the n14 n62 but as flex buses (a flex is a cutaway jitney that serves area with low bus usage this is common in new England) ...let's see if the s71 and 90 get revive. ..heck about two s90 passengerr ccomplain about the deregister of the aforementioned s90 and likewise the s71...but for now use the two transfer issued by SCT

I must know a point of view from a natural long islander and you're absolutely right although in much doubt. ..the elimination of the s90 and s71 is based. On the low ridership (sic) then again it carries passengers. ..now what i don't know is if the day i took both the s71 and s90 was atypical passenger count or just straphangers wishing to save the lines since in the s90 two passenger were straphangers and in the s71 seven were possible straphangers (i say this way since i dismounted in Selden)

I know it is a waste of money but now Speonk Westhampton and Quogue is left with NO bus service with a vast area with zero bus coverage. ..also Yaphank is left with NO bus routes (except the one trip of. The s68) ...Brookhaven town hall is reachable by the s61 only

IMO the s71 and s90should've merge and run from Stony Brook RR to Riverhead since a trip from Stony Brook to Shirley is 1h10 from Shirley to Centre Moriches about 10 minutes and fromCenter Moriches to rRiverhead 35 minutes a total of 1h55 a full trip and a 5 minute brake for the B/O...i would say that thishypothetical route would have a two hour headway in other word . Two bus units would be used

Early this year the n51 n80/81 died and just last month these route . Were reinstated as well as the n14 n62 but as flex buses (a flex is a cutaway jitney that serves area with low bus usage this is common in new England) ...let's see if the s71 and 90 get revive. ..heck about two s90 passengerr ccomplain about the deregister of the aforementioned s90 and likewise the s71...but for now use the two transfer issued by SCT

A combination of the S71 and S90 probably wouldn't happen even if Suffolk had the money. The reason would be that they would say that there isn't a need for it to go to Center Moriches, since riders could transfer to the S66 or when the two runs head out there to the S68. It would probably have to been shown that there has to be a decent amount of people who would benefit from such a combination.  (To my knowledge no such demand exists. Again that's just to my knowledge, that doesn't mean to say that one may not exist)

Yaphank had no bus coverage prior to the S71 being created in 2001, so that would be about 20 years. Something tells me that people really don't care, especially since John J. Foley closed. 

The new Suffolk County Bus Map is out

http://www.sct-bus.org/assets/sct_systemmap.pdf

At least Suffolk County is faster than NICE to make a new bus map after a service change (NICE still has the April 8, 2012 bus map on its site. Services have change A LOT since then).

My guess is that they created it at the end of last year when they talk of cuts were first brought up or early this year when they were positive they were going to go down that road, that way everything would be ready to go when the cuts were actually done. 

How much through riding is there on the S92? Would there be any benefit to splitting it in Riverhead?

I'm not 100% sure but I think that may have been suggested in that 2009 bus study the county had done.

I'm not sure though if there would be any benefit an of thete is what it would be.

How much through riding is there on the S92? Would there be any benefit to splitting it in Riverhead?

I'm not 100% sure but I think that may have been suggested in that 2009 bus study the county had done.

I'm not sure though if there would be any benefit an of thete is what it would be.

The ridership is "through the roof" between East Hampton and Riverhead...in BOTH directions. I think it might be feasible to split the route in Riverhead and make the service much more reliable especially along the South Fork. I know on Saturdays, the S92 seems empty passing through Riverhead...but that's just my two cents.

The new Suffolk County Bus Map is out

http://www.sct-bus.org/assets/sct_systemmap.pdf

At least Suffolk County is faster than NICE to make a new bus map after a service change (NICE still has the April 8, 2012 bus map on its site. Services have change A LOT since then).

North Shirley, Westhampton Beach, Quogue all look like they never had bus service before.

"Mac5689",

How have things been up your way after the cuts?

The ridership is "through the roof" between East Hampton and Riverhead...in BOTH directions. I think it might be feasible to split the route in Riverhead and make the service much more reliable especially along the South Fork. I know on Saturdays, the S92 seems empty passing through Riverhead...but that's just my two cents. North Shirley, Westhampton Beach, Quogue all look like they never had bus service before."Mac5689",How have things been up your way after the cuts?

I haven’t been out by the bus routes since the cuts.

I've been meaning to ask. I know you've mentioned that you've lived near the Hamptons since the 80's or so. We're you there back during the 1990 cuts? Do you know if the 10A and 10D/E were cut then like it was proposed?

I haven’t been out by the bus routes since the cuts.

I've been meaning to ask. I know you've mentioned that you've lived near the Hamptons since the 80's or so. We're you there back during the 1990 cuts? Do you know if the 10A and 10D/E were cut then like it was proposed?

Honestly, I have been visiting the area since I was born BUT didn't start living out here until 1997. However I can tell you (and I'm not sure if this helps) but since I've been visiting the area once OR twice a month, I would always see the 10A (using those Chance RT-52 buses...then Flxible Metro-D #9332 before going to Gillig #9711-9714). When I moved out there, they were using the Flxible bus and then the switch to Gillig. If those bus route were on the chopping block, then something must have saved those routes.

Honestly, I have been visiting the area since I was born BUT didn't start living out here until 1997. However I can tell you (and I'm not sure if this helps) but since I've been visiting the area once OR twice a month, I would always see the 10A (using those Chance RT-52 buses...then Flxible Metro-D #9332 before going to Gillig #9711-9714). When I moved out there, they were using the Flxible bus and then the switch to Gillig. If those bus route were on the chopping block, then something must have saved those routes.

If they were cut I don't think it was for long. Probably a year or two. I had seen part of an article from around that time that had mention about wanting a route, that sounded like the S66 at the time, being reinstated which had been cut with what sounded like the routes that were suppose to be cut. (I unfortunately didn't have the money to buy the article and I'm not sure if I saved the link)

It was hard to follow what was going on at the time since there were stories of proposed cuts in 1989 and again in 1990 and then sometime in late 1990 proposing to use money to restore 5 routes that had been cut. Though I'm fairly certain that the story of proposing to reinstate what I think was the S66 was at least a year or two after 1990.

All except two of the proposed routes that would have been cut in 1990 were on the '93 system map. Those two routes were the 1C and 9A. Which is why I believe if the routes were cut they were restored prior to when the '93 map was released.

Also TransitMan, the '#9332 probably was transferred to HJ in late '94 or some time in '95 because that's when they Suffolk retired most if not all the '82 and '88 Chance RT52's. I'm not sure exactly how many from HJ were retired at that time though it seemed like most of them.  

Also TransitMan, the '#9332 probably was transferred to HJ in late '94 or some time in '95 because that's when they Suffolk retired most if not all the '82 and '88 Chance RT52's. I'm not sure exactly how many from HJ were retired at that time though it seemed like most of them.

That sounds about right because I was going to LIU Southampton College from 1999-2002 and the Flxible was still operating in 2004-2005. However, when the Flxible wasn't in use, they used the Gillig #9714. After 2005, it was all Gilligs.

The s92 can't breakup in two why is this ?

Is quite simple. ..the north fork portiom receives 15-20% of the passenger count different to the 80-85% from Riverhead to East Hampton. ..but i cam be wrong since when I went to the expedition for the passenger accounting of the s71 and s90 ( which btw the 71 accounted 10 passengers from Shirley to stony brook and the s90 6 passengers from Riverhead to center moriches) there were approximately 11 passengers onboard towards greenport (i say greenport because nearly no one goes beyond greenport to orient point)..is rare that SCT didn't discontinue the s92 towards orient. Then again CS Ferry funds the keepture of the s92 service (as well as HamptonJitney) bbecause by law a busmust be a cconnector. ..i mean on the other side of the ferry route ALL SEAT bus routes (except the #10 route) tconnect to the ferry likwise the 9TT estuarytransit to Old Saybrook and thusly Madison (New Haven metro area) ...the s92 is defacto considered the longest local bus route in north america at 110km (70 mi.) By far longer than it's runner up the RIPTA 66 at 74 km (48 mi.)...separating this queen route then the s92 would forfeit its title to the s62 the second longest ST route at 72 km

The s92 can't breakup in two why is this ?

Nobody said that the s92 couldn't be broken up. (Unless there is a post I missed)

If you are referring to my earlier post, I never said the s92 couldn't or shouldn't be broken up. I said I didn't know if there were any benefit because I don't know the route well enough. I don't don't know say how many people travel just to Riverhead or how many people ride it to its end. (If I based my opinions of the s92 based on the few times I've seen the s92, I'd say that all the talk about it being late all the time and alot of people taking it to Riverhead was a lie. But since I trust the people who say otherwise, I know my assumptions are wrong.)

Basically, you'll get only as much service as the County feels like paying for.

The County wants to pay of all of it, I mean the County Executive ran on a platform to make public transit better, it's just that the County Budget just won't allow it. Or at least the current County Budget. 

The budget is so bad that the County Executive didn't put any money towards the shot spotter program. 

The County wants to pay of all of it, I mean the County Executive ran on a platform to make public transit better, it's just that the County Budget just won't allow it. Or at least the current County Budget. 

The budget is so bad that the County Executive didn't put any money towards the shot spotter program. 

If they didn't budget for service improvements, then there is zero intention to pay for them. Looks like another politician lied to get re-elected.

If they didn't budget for service improvements, then there is zero intention to pay for them. Looks like another politician lied to get re-elected.

He ran on that promise when he originally ran for office.

He's tried to improve service, he's spent a lot of money looking into BRT routes. Out of three proposed routes, one of which would have run through the Town he was supervisor he was in charge of, only one is still in consideration. (And that routes isn't the one in his old town)

He's extended SCAT coverage and got an extended Sunday Service. He's been able to improve service more then most of his predecessors haven't.

The problem is that the budget has been in a deficit for years, I believe even before he took office, and the County was planning a budget on forcasted income from tax's that didn't actually happen. There was also surcharge or something with registering vehicles in the County or something that was done thourgh the DMV that got fouled up on the State's end that screwed things up.

Also, why didn't they say anything about a midday cut on the S66 beforehand? As if adding an earlier trip suddenly negates that.

It wasn't mentioned on the notice but the S66 12:00 run is cut weekdays ONLY. The 12:00 run still runs on Saturday and Sunday according to the S66 Schedule. 

Also the 5:00 run from Center Moriches doesn't run on the Weekend, its a weekday only run. 

Archived