N24 regularly late

I know bus schedules have a good -/+ 5 minute give, but the N24 (Jamaica to Hicksville) is one of the worst. I use Transit app on my iPhone which shows exactly where the bus is via gps (on majority of buses). I can be waiting on the N24 and the countdown will be 3 mins away...2 min...1 min...0 min...0 min...0 min (you get the idea) then will go to when the next bus will arrive maybe half hour later. All of a sudden 10 min later, the bus shows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the N24 is a pretty long route which will generally mean more delays. Then when you get into Mineola you my have some problems there due to congestion. Jamaica is also pretty congested.

Yea, but the N22 is better (Jamaica to Hicksville) and go through high traffic areas (Jamaica and Mineola) as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple deduction.... Outside of the fact that the n24 travels on the headache that is Jericho Tpke (esp. the closer you get to Queens), the n24 sees more "intermediate" ridership than the n22 does (b/w Jamaica & RFM).... n22, it's usually people getting on/off at the same stops b/w that stretch.....

Between RFM & Hicksville, the n22 sees much more ridership, but it's still faster than the n24 b/w that stretch....

Regardless, take it from someone that works in Mineola - I simply refuse to drive along Jericho Tpke...

I rode it today honestly, it needs more trips. If a B/O is running late then he'll pull into 165 late. Then he'll pull out of 165 late and then it snowballs. I was at 165 today, the 14:00 to RF pulled it at 13:58, left on time at 14:00. That meant he got no layover. The 14:22 to Hicksville pulled in at 14:38, left at 14:40. By the time we got to mineola the next run was right behind and we ran together to HKV.

So simply the route just needs more runs, but the county's too stingy.

Edited by Missabassie

I rode it today honestly, it needs more trips. If a B/O is running late then he'll pull into 165 late. Then he'll pull out of 165 late and then it snowballs. I was at 165 today, the 14:00 to RF pulled it at 13:58, left on time at 14:00. That meant he got no layover. The 14:22 to Hicksville pulled in at 14:38, left at 14:40. By the time we got to mineola the next run was right behind and we ran together to HKV.

I haven't seen the n24 "full enough" to warrant more runs. Outside of rush hour it looks sparse, how is it during rush hour?

I suppose making the n24 30 mins between RF and Jamaica while Hourly to Hicksville might help a bit.

I know bus schedules have a good -/+ 5 minute give, but the N24 (Jamaica to Hicksville) is one of the worst. I use Transit app on my iPhone which shows exactly where the bus is via gps (on majority of buses). I can be waiting on the N24 and the countdown will be 3 mins away...2 min...1 min...0 min...0 min...0 min (you get the idea) then will go to when the next bus will arrive maybe half hour later. All of a sudden 10 min later, the bus shows up.

Well if you're at a terminal or the bus has not departed yet, it'll be a problem, where it goes to the next bus even though the current bus hasen't departed yet. However as so as the bus departs the program places it with the correct run, but marks it late. 

I haven't seen the n24 "full enough" to warrant more runs. Outside of rush hour it looks sparse, how is it during rush hour?

That n24 gets full when an n22 doesn't show up during the rush, which is somewhat often, especially with some of the weird interlines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The fix for all this is actually really simple & pretty obvious tbh.

Make the n24 100% closed-door in Queens, particularly the segment shared by the Q36 along Jamaica Avenue (before it becomes Jericho Turnpike in Nassau County).

What ISN’T a solution is n20G/H’ing it (i.e.; splitting it in half).

1 hour ago, Axis said:

Make the n24 100% closed-door in Queens, particularly the segment shared by the Q36 along Jamaica Avenue (before it becomes Jericho Turnpike in Nassau County).

The best solution for the n24 is to have it turn off Jamaica Avenue at Springfield Blvd to reach Hillside Avenue. Closed Door service on Jericho between Cross Island and Little Neck Parkway isn't an option because that stretch is within Nassau County's borders. 

Edited by NY1635

• 3 weeks later...

You don't have to make it "closed door" along the Q36 stretch.  You just have to spread out the N24 stops along the Q36 stretch so that they are a half-mile apart.  It's ridiculous to stop EVERY SINGLE BLOCK along that stretch.  Even Manhattan bus stops aren't that close together.  Absolutely insane.

On 6/11/2019 at 11:26 PM, Axis said:

Define what you mean by that.

They don't drop off in Queens going to Long Island until it gets past Little Neck Parkway. The line doesn't pick up in Queens, and only drops off.

On 7/2/2019 at 10:34 PM, RtrainBlues said:

You don't have to make it "closed door" along the Q36 stretch.  You just have to spread out the N24 stops along the Q36 stretch so that they are a half-mile apart.  It's ridiculous to stop EVERY SINGLE BLOCK along that stretch.  Even Manhattan bus stops aren't that close together.  Absolutely insane.

It makes sense since that stretch of Jericho has businesses and people tend to use the n24 whenever Q36 is a no-show.

14 hours ago, Axis said:

The Q36 is just gonna have to git gud, for the n24’s sake. Otherwise, the n24 is never going to improve.

Getting Good for the Q36's sake means full time service to Floral Park, and resurrecting the Q79 to have it run between Little Neck and Queens Village LIRR, or serve that new Elmont LIRR station that's being built by Belmont Park.

Edited by NY1635

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 10:31 AM, NY1635 said:

Getting Good for the Q36's sake means full time service to Floral Park, and resurrecting the Q79 to have it run between Little Neck and Queens Village LIRR, or serve that new Elmont LIRR station that's being built by Belmont Park.

That would be interesting since Floral Park would have no say in which buses serve the Elmont station. Though, I'd imagine that the Elmont station would be in zone 4, so maybe  Queens Village would be a better terminal for City Ticket and Atlantic Ticket purposes.

Compare the N4 in Queens to the N24 in Queens.  The N4 stops at roughly "every other" local stop going eastbound, where the N24 stops at "EVERY single" local stop.  The N4 is way faster and more reliable.  Makes a huge difference in the number of red lights you must stop at.

2 hours ago, RtrainBlues said:

Compare the N4 in Queens to the N24 in Queens.  The N4 stops at roughly "every other" local stop going eastbound, where the N24 stops at "EVERY single" local stop.  The N4 is way faster and more reliable.  Makes a huge difference in the number of red lights you must stop at.

Well, that is one true, but the bigger issue is that there's a lot more intermediate ridership (people getting on/off in between the subway stops and the city line) on the n24. This is especially true on WB buses, because it has a chunk of its runtime in Queens as an open-door service. Also, as others mentioned, it is utilized if the Q36 doesn't show up first. 

On 7/3/2019 at 4:46 PM, Cait Sith said:

Define what you mean by that.

They don't drop off in Queens going to Long Island until it gets past Little Neck Parkway. The line doesn't pick up in Queens, and only drops off.

For the EB direction, they start open-door the instant they cross the Nassau border (which in the EB direction, is 225th Street). In the WB direction, they're open door until just before they hit Springfield Boulevard (used to be 225th Street, but now it's 239th Street) because of the way the border runs through that section. From 225th to about 257th(?), the north side of Route 25 is in Queens, while the south side of Route 25 is in Nassau. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 12:01 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Well, that is one true, but the bigger issue is that there's a lot more intermediate ridership (people getting on/off in between the subway stops and the city line) on the n24. This is especially true on WB buses, because it has a chunk of its runtime in Queens as an open-door service. Also, as others mentioned, it is utilized if the Q36 doesn't show up first. 

For the EB direction, they start open-door the instant they cross the Nassau border (which in the EB direction, is 225th Street). In the WB direction, they're open door until just before they hit Springfield Boulevard (used to be 225th Street, but now it's 239th Street) because of the way the border runs through that section. From 225th to about 257th(?), the north side of Route 25 is in Queens, while the south side of Route 25 is in Nassau. 

n4 is not faster when it's overcrowded with sardine. During rush hour, I prefer n4X or n22X since it's faster.

I always prefer taking N22 over N24 sometimes travel between Jamaica and Hicksville, because I like how N22 start to continue all the down straight on Hillside Av, I just like the whole routing. N24 goes straight on Hillside Av and Turns on Francis Lewis Blvd and then on Jamaica Av and then becomes Jericho Turnpike.

Edited by bwwnyc123