Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Sinsomnia

N24 regularly late

I know bus schedules have a good -/+ 5 minute give, but the N24 (Jamaica to Hicksville) is one of the worst. I use Transit app on my iPhone which shows exactly where the bus is via gps (on majority of buses). I can be waiting on the N24 and the countdown will be 3 mins away...2 min...1 min...0 min...0 min...0 min (you get the idea) then will go to when the next bus will arrive maybe half hour later. All of a sudden 10 min later, the bus shows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the N24 is a pretty long route which will generally mean more delays. Then when you get into Mineola you my have some problems there due to congestion. Jamaica is also pretty congested. 

Well the N24 is a pretty long route which will generally mean more delays. Then when you get into Mineola you my have some problems there due to congestion. Jamaica is also pretty congested.

Yea, but the N22 is better (Jamaica to Hicksville) and go through high traffic areas (Jamaica and Mineola) as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple deduction.... Outside of the fact that the n24 travels on the headache that is Jericho Tpke (esp. the closer you get to Queens), the n24 sees more "intermediate" ridership than the n22 does (b/w Jamaica & RFM).... n22, it's usually people getting on/off at the same stops b/w that stretch.....

Between RFM & Hicksville, the n22 sees much more ridership, but it's still faster than the n24 b/w that stretch....

Regardless, take it from someone that works in Mineola - I simply refuse to drive along Jericho Tpke...

I rode it today honestly, it needs more trips. If a B/O is running late then he'll pull into 165 late. Then he'll pull out of 165 late and then it snowballs. I was at 165 today, the 14:00 to RF pulled it at 13:58, left on time at 14:00. That meant he got no layover. The 14:22 to Hicksville pulled in at 14:38, left at 14:40. By the time we got to mineola the next run was right behind and we ran together to HKV.

So simply the route just needs more runs, but the county's too stingy.

Edited by Missabassie

I rode it today honestly, it needs more trips. If a B/O is running late then he'll pull into 165 late. Then he'll pull out of 165 late and then it snowballs. I was at 165 today, the 14:00 to RF pulled it at 13:58, left on time at 14:00. That meant he got no layover. The 14:22 to Hicksville pulled in at 14:38, left at 14:40. By the time we got to mineola the next run was right behind and we ran together to HKV.

I haven't seen the n24 "full enough" to warrant more runs. Outside of rush hour it looks sparse, how is it during rush hour?

I suppose making the n24 30 mins between RF and Jamaica while Hourly to Hicksville might help a bit.

I know bus schedules have a good -/+ 5 minute give, but the N24 (Jamaica to Hicksville) is one of the worst. I use Transit app on my iPhone which shows exactly where the bus is via gps (on majority of buses). I can be waiting on the N24 and the countdown will be 3 mins away...2 min...1 min...0 min...0 min...0 min (you get the idea) then will go to when the next bus will arrive maybe half hour later. All of a sudden 10 min later, the bus shows up.

Well if you're at a terminal or the bus has not departed yet, it'll be a problem, where it goes to the next bus even though the current bus hasen't departed yet. However as so as the bus departs the program places it with the correct run, but marks it late. 

I haven't seen the n24 "full enough" to warrant more runs. Outside of rush hour it looks sparse, how is it during rush hour?

That n24 gets full when an n22 doesn't show up during the rush, which is somewhat often, especially with some of the weird interlines.

That n24 gets full when an n22 doesn't show up during the rush, which is somewhat often, especially with some of the weird interlines.

Makes sense, Most people are going between locations where they share the same routing.

Problem with severe lateness persists today; only now, they have more and more dropped runs during the heart of afternoon rush-hour.  

The fix for all this is actually really simple & pretty obvious tbh.

Make the n24 100% closed-door in Queens, particularly the segment shared by the Q36 along Jamaica Avenue (before it becomes Jericho Turnpike in Nassau County).

What ISN’T a solution is n20G/H’ing it (i.e.; splitting it in half).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Axis said:

The fix for all this is actually really simple & pretty obvious tbh.

Make the n24 100% closed-door in Queens, particularly the segment shared by the Q36 along Jamaica Avenue (before it becomes Jericho Turnpike in Nassau County).

What ISN’T a solution is n20G/H’ing it (i.e.; splitting it in half).

The best solution for the n24 is to have it turn off Jamaica Avenue at Springfield Blvd to reach Hillside Avenue. Closed Door service on Jericho between Cross Island and Little Neck Parkway isn't an option because that stretch is within Nassau County's borders. 

Edited by NY1635

When I took first n24 split route, n24 arrived at RFM 2 minutes before connecting n24 bus leaves.