N24 regularly late

On 8/15/2019 at 7:04 AM, FamousNYLover said:

n4 is not faster when it's overcrowded with sardine.....

1] You quoted the wrong post.....

2] The comparison was between the Queens portions of the n4 & the n24...

3] The n24 is not faster than the n4 in Queens..

4] The n4 gets overcrowded in Queens more often than not, at the first stop.... It garners no where near the Queens ridership the n24 does, outside of Jamaica proper.... To implicate that the n4 is slower than the n24 for that reason you bring up, is just false....

5] The n24 doesn't get overcrowded with sardines, it gets overcrowded with human beings....

On 8/18/2019 at 7:53 AM, bwwnyc123 said:

I always prefer taking N22 over N24 sometimes travel between Jamaica and Hicksville, because I like how N22 start to continue all the down straight on Hillside Av, I just like the whole routing. N24 goes straight on Hillside Av and Turns on Francis Lewis Blvd and then on Jamaica Av and then becomes Jericho Turnpike.

The n22 is generally 5 to 10 minutes ahead or behind the n24 between RF, Mineola, and Jamaica. n22 tends to get bogged down by the the long line at 169th Street Subway, holding for a few minutes at Mineola Intermodal, and holding another few minutes at Roosevelt Field so people can make the transfer from another route. 

It gets roughly 6,600 riders between Hicksville and Jamaica, while the n24 gets nearly 5,100 during that same span.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:14 AM, NY1635 said:

The n22 is generally 5 to 10 minutes ahead or behind the n24 between RF, Mineola, and Jamaica. n22 tends to get bogged down by the the long line at 169th Street Subway, holding for a few minutes at Mineola Intermodal, and holding another few minutes at Roosevelt Field so people can make the transfer from another route. 

It gets roughly 6,600 riders between Hicksville and Jamaica, while the n24 gets nearly 5,100 during that same span.

N22 is significantly faster between Jamaica and Roosevelt field. 

N24 is slower between those two same points due to those stops in Queens/Floral Park. It is however faster east of Roosevelt field along Old County Rd vs the 22 via New Cassel/Westbury

18 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

N22 is significantly faster between Jamaica and Roosevelt field. 

N24 is slower between those two same points due to those stops in Queens/Floral Park. It is however faster east of Roosevelt field along Old County Rd vs the 22 via New Cassel/Westbury

I have to wonder if there’s ever been consideration of routes/trips that are a hybrid of segments of the n22/n24 route pair (i.e.; via Hillside Avenue then Old Country Road or via Jericho Turnpike then New Cassel).

2 hours ago, Axis said:

I have to wonder if there’s ever been consideration of routes/trips that are a hybrid of segments of the n22/n24 route pair (i.e.; via Hillside Avenue then Old Country Road or via Jericho Turnpike then New Cassel).

No. It takes roughly 2 hours for both routes to travel between Hicksville and Jamaica. The only thing that's faster than the n22/24 is the LIRR.

On 8/21/2019 at 7:20 PM, Axis said:

NICE is testing out a pilot shuttle for Queens residents attending NCC this fall. It's supposed to be making stops at Sutphin Archer, 179th Street Subway, Old Country Road, and then Endo Blvd. 

https://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Nassau-community-college

Edited by NY1635

On 8/28/2019 at 8:26 AM, NY1635 said:

NICE is testing out a pilot shuttle for Queens residents attending NCC this fall. It's supposed to be making stops at Sutphin Archer, 179th Street Subway, Old Country Road, and then Endo Blvd. 

Guess I oughta buy a lottery ticket now, with that kind of luck of predicting stuff...

To be perfectly honest, I think the bottom line here is...the n24 was probably just not meant to act like a parallel to the n22 by being extended between Roosevelt Field & Hicksville in the first place, considering that’s exactly how it was back in the day.

I feel like the way the route was designed, given the ridership, traffic, and runtime, maybe giving away the Old Country Road segment from the n78/n79 to the n24 all those years ago has since overwhelmed the route & it’s reliability in a way.

But the question is, if you had to revert the n24 to it’s pre-Hicksville configuration, what do you throw onto Old Country Road?

On 8/28/2019 at 8:26 AM, NY1635 said:

Yeah, so much for the n6x to NCC :lol:

7 hours ago, Axis said:

To be perfectly honest, I think the bottom line here is...the n24 was probably just not meant to act like a parallel to the n22 by being extended between Roosevelt Field & Hicksville in the first place, considering that’s exactly how it was back in the day.

I feel like the way the route was designed, given the ridership, traffic, and runtime, maybe giving away the Old Country Road segment from the n78/n79 to the n24 all those years ago has since overwhelmed the route & it’s reliability in a way.

But the question is, if you had to revert the n24 to it’s pre-Hicksville configuration, what do you throw onto Old Country Road?

Problem with the old N24 were those f*$^&#g trips to Reckson bldg... It took NICE FOREVER to finally stop running buses there, when that should have been one of, if not the first change done with the bus network.....

Problem with the old N78/79 was that buses ran to Mineola.... Folks from eastern Nassau county that even took buses (over the LIRR), wanted bus service well west of Mineola (which is why the n24 to Hicksville made sense)..... Where NICE went wrong IMO, is frugally a] getting rid of as much service that the N79 had, and b] cutting it back to Hicksville.....

The question, as I see fit, is how much service should be supplied to that part of Old Country (between RFM & Hicksville)? Personally, I would have both the n24 (with the full route still consisting of being b/w Jamaica & Hicksville) & the n79 (running b/w RFM & Whitman mall).... Issue there though is, that might mean way more n24 short turn trips (as in, Jamaica-RFM).... To sum it up, I'd rather have less trips on the n24 doing the full route, over the current rendition of the n79, is what I'm trying to get at....

...and IRDC for these n24's they got running between RFM & LIRR Hicksville....

Edited by B35 via Church

On 8/30/2019 at 2:40 PM, Axis said:

I rather have the n78/79 use Prospect Ave, W John, Union/Westbury Ave, and Maple between Hicksville and RFM to help out the n22 during the rush since the locals end at Mineola IC during that period. 

As for the n24, leave it as its. I feel like the route is used more by people who want to shop at RFM, and the Gallery at Westbury Plaza or work there, coming from points west of RFM. 

The n22 OTOH is used by Westbury/New Cassel, or whatever Prospect Ave calls itself nowadays, trying to go thru the mall trying to get to 179th. 

As for NICE, I think the company interlines some n22 runs with the n24. I also heard a strange rumor that the n24 split at RFM is meant to be more convenient to the bus operator as a relief point more than the passenger.