Stranger Picks Up, Shakes Young Boy Between Subway Cars

+Young+

Wow no one even noticed but the teacher?

Yeah because everyone has earbuds in their ears and are on their cell phones.  Look around on a typical train. People do everything possible to zone out. In the old days you had newspapers and books.  Now you have cell phones.  You see tons of people listening to music AND playing some card game or video game... They don't even know when their stop arrives, so they're not going to be looking to see what is going on.  

Yeah because everyone has earbuds in their ears and are on their cell phones.  Look around on a typical train. People do everything possible to zone out. In the old days you had newspapers and books.  Now you have cell phones.  You see tons of people listening to music AND playing some card game or video game... They don't even know when their stop arrives, so they're not going to be looking to see what is going on.  

My cellphone is for reading and studying, but I just pretend to zone out to increase the probability of staying out of trouble.

I have to say that it's interesting analyzing who is doing what.  You see next to no newspapers on the subways these days.  Most of the older folks take the express bus, local bus, and Metro-North/LIRR.  You will see NY Times newspapers on the lines that I take, but the set up is still the same... Use something to zone out.

I have to say that it's interesting analyzing who is doing what.  You see next to no newspapers on the subways these days.  Most of the older folks take the express bus, local bus, and Metro-North/LIRR.  You will see NY Times newspapers on the lines that I take, but the set up is still the same... Use something to zone out.

For all you know, they may be reading the newspaper on their phone like I do. Sometimes I also use the Transit Wireless in the stations to load up a blog on Safari and then read it on the train.

For all you know, they may be reading the newspaper on their phone like I do. Sometimes I also use the Transit Wireless in the stations to load up a blog on Safari and then read it on the train.

Of course people read their newspapers on their phone.  I do as well.  That wasn't the point though.  The point was about people using anything to distract themselves while on the subway.

Of course people read their newspapers on their phone.  I do as well.  That wasn't the point though.  The point was about people using anything to distract themselves while on the subway.

To be fair, if you have an hour on the subway, you're going to want to do something with your time. Commuting sucks.

And that's precisely the problem. Everyone is doing everything possible to zone out, so when things jump off next to no one knows what is going on.

It would be a problem for me if I volunteered to be involved in some troublesome situation. I keep out of trouble unless I get roped into it somehow. I am vaguely aware of what goes on around me, and I usually choose to ignore most things such as preachers, beggars, subway performers, and candy sellers. If there’s a murderer on the train, the last thing I want to do is become a target. Maybe I’ll stay under the radar and wait for an opportune time to strike, but I am not offering my life on a platter. My character prioritizes self-preservation. That may not be cool with some people, but what does how they think of me matter when I could be dead after successful or failed heroics?

It would be a problem for me if I volunteered to be involved in some troublesome situation. I keep out of trouble unless I get roped into it somehow. I am vaguely aware of what goes on around me, and I usually choose to ignore most things such as preachers, beggars, subway performers, and candy sellers. If there’s a murderer on the train, the last thing I want to do is become a target. Maybe I’ll stay under the radar and wait for an opportune time to strike, but I am not offering my life on a platter. My character prioritizes self-preservation. That may not be cool with some people, but what does how they think of me matter when I could be dead after successful or failed heroics?

When things jump off, you don't have to be involved voluntarily.  You can easily be part of the situation. My rides are short on the subway and not often so when I do get on, I'm already on guard and looking around even more than I usually do.  You have some real nut jobs in this city all over, but even more so on the subways.

People have done this since the subway opened. Over a 110 Years ago not sure I understand the point.

And once again nothing is based in fact or reason. I suppose to be expected as well.

Seeing as you claim to not understand what I was saying, how would you know what my comments were based on? You come in here completely oblivious to what bobtehpanda and I were discussing and then complain about not understanding.  That's your problem not mine and I'm certainly not repeating my point yet again for someone who is too lazy to read the previous comments.  

Seeing as you claim to not understand what I was saying, how would you know what my comments were based on? You come in here completely oblivious to what bobtehpanda and I were discussing and then complain about not understanding.  That's your problem not mine and I'm certainly not repeating my point yet again for someone who is too lazy to read the previous comments.  

It's a five-page convo I saw the back story. I never shoot from the hip trust if I comment I've done my due diligence. It's not that big of a deal. I was just wondering how reading a paper in 1920 is any different from using a phone today. Two people made the comparison. The subway having crazies I get that my point was there and people paying attention didn't see a direct response.

It's a five-page convo I saw the back story. I never shoot from the hip trust if I comment I've done my due diligence. It's not that big of a deal. I was just wondering how reading a paper in 1920 is any different from using a phone today. Two people made the comparison. The subway having crazies I get that my point was there and people paying attention didn't see a direct response.

If you were really reading the previous responses, then you would've seen where my comments came from.  Another poster here asked how only one woman realized what was going on while everyone else seemed oblivious to the situation.   

If you were really reading the previous responses, then you would've seen where my comments came from.  Another poster here asked how only one woman realized what was going on while everyone else seemed oblivious to the situation.   

I get it. Oblivious people aren't new. 1940,1970,1990? Would the outcome have changed? Switch the year the formula's still the same that's my point. 

So then don't feign ignorance...

The issue here is your holding people to your standards. For a person to play a fool mean's they'd have to know better. Your starting from that position that's where you're losing. Assumption isn't a winning habit it'll catch you when you least expect it. And that's from experience.  How did we go from oblivious to ignorance?

The issue here is your holding people to your standards. For a person to play a fool mean's they'd have to know better. Your starting from that position that's where you're losing. Assumption isn't a winning habit it'll catch you when you least expect it. And that's from experience.  How did we go from oblivious to ignorance?

Not at all.  My question to you is why didn't anyone else come to that kid's aid?  If what you say is true, then that makes it worse because that means that people just don't give a damn or are too afraid to get involved.  It seems as if when events happen, people are more concerned with filming then actually helping.  That has nothing to with "my standards".  That's just what I observe on the news and in real life.

When things jump off, you don't have to be involved voluntarily.  You can easily be part of the situation. My rides are short on the subway and not often so when I do get on, I'm already on guard and looking around even more than I usually do.  You have some real nut jobs in this city all over, but even more so on the subways.

And I’ll do my best to keep out. I will not make a proactive effort to invite myself to trouble.

Archived