Stranger Picks Up, Shakes Young Boy Between Subway Cars

+Young+

Not at all.  My question to you is why didn't anyone else come to that kid's aid?  If what you say is true, then that makes it worse because that means that people just don't give a damn or are too afraid to get involved.  It seems as if when events happen, people are more concerned with filming then actually helping.  That has nothing to with "my standards".  That's just what I observe on the news and in real life.

Man, it's amazing how two people can talk or say even say the same thing and perceive two different things. It's not a question of right or wrong it's more on perception and how one views the world. Why did no one help? I can't answer that question so many variables, amount of people on the train distance from the incident, Did they understand what was going on? Paying attention? Fear? The first set of questions before factoring in Morals, Ethics, and Principles. Would I have helped if I saw something like that? Yes!! My principles and being a parent myself dictate that. She was a teacher her principles seemed also to be aligned that way. I can only speak for myself I can't assume people process and live by the same values back to my point. We can only hold ourselves accountable. Starts there observation process is perspective. Perspective and reality are two different things that don't always equate.  To bring it full circle your question is based on your standards and what you learned with experiences.   

Man, it's amazing how two people can talk or say even say the same thing and perceive two different things. It's not a question of right or wrong it's more on perception and how one views the world. Why did no one help? I can't answer that question so many variables, amount of people on the train distance from the incident, Did they understand what was going on? Paying attention? Fear? The first set of questions before factoring in Morals, Ethics, and Principles. Would I have helped if I saw something like that? Yes!! My principles and being a parent myself dictate that. She was a teacher her principles seemed also to be aligned that way. I can only speak for myself I can't assume people process and live by the same values back to my point. We can only hold ourselves accountable. Starts there observation process is perspective. Perspective and reality are two different things that don't always equate.  To bring it full circle your question is based on your standards and what you learned with experiences.   

I don't know how this became a discussion about morals and standards.  You keep talking "my standards" based on a response to a question from another person about why only one person helped.  You've made this way more than it is quite frankly.  We can hypothesize about why no one helped, but just from observing on any subway you get on, half of the people are occupied with something, be it a newspaper, cell phone or what have you.  There is no standard involved with that.  Just simple observation.  Not sure why you have such a hard time understanding that idea?

I don't know how this became a discussion about morals and standards.  You keep talking "my standards" based on a response to a question from another person about why only one person helped.  You've made this way more than it is quite frankly.  We can hypothesize about why no one helped, but just from observing on any subway you get on, half of the people are occupied with something, be it a newspaper, cell phone or what have you.  There is no standard involved with that.  Just simple observation.  Not sure why you have such a hard time understanding that idea?

As an engineer maybe I am unable to understand. Observations have to offer proof to become fact or be spoken as fact in my World. Maybe I'm misreading your tone I always seem to perceive your messages as spoken facts and not observations or opinion don't know if I'm the only one? Facts spoken are subject to question I would expect nothing less for myself. If I've taken your opinions or observations as fact then an apology is in order it's getting lost in translation.  From my perspective and from my travels when making an observation and processing them morals are part of the conversion. Morals are the compass of a person shouldnt that be a part of coming to a conclusion for people? Morals are one of the building blocks for a person's standards along with ethics, principals, civility etc. These are things that American culture is based for the most part we view people based on these things. I would think it's relevant.

As an engineer maybe I am unable to understand. Observations have to offer proof to become fact or be spoken as fact in my World. Maybe I'm misreading your tone I always seem to perceive your messages as spoken facts and not observations or opinion don't know if I'm the only one? Facts spoken are subject to question I would expect nothing less for myself. If I've taken your opinions or observations as fact then an apology is in order it's getting lost in translation.  From my perspective and from my travels when making an observation and processing them morals are part of the conversion. Morals are the compass of a person shouldnt that be a part of coming to a conclusion for people? Morals are one of the building blocks for a person's standards along with ethics, principals, civility etc. These are things that American culture is based for the most part we view people based on these things. I would think it's relevant.

I guess you can argue it from a moral point of view, but I certainly wasn't, nor was I saying that anything was a fact. I simply stated what I observe when riding the subway, which is that a good portion of people are preoccupied with something.  I mean ultimately I could give a rats @ss what people do.  If someone isn't paying attention and something jumps off well that's their problem, not mine.  At the end of the day, we are all responsible for our actions.  

If someone isn't paying attention and something jumps off well that's their problem, not mine.

When things are clearly about to affect my commute time for the worse, then it becomes my problem. Preventing someone from committing suicide then becomes my duty (to myself) to prevent the train delay. If the fellow wants to try again after the train (and I) has left the station, by all means…

Archived