MTA creating 1,300 signs for the (W)'s return

Javier

Slight update on this. There are, actually, a bunch of signs at Union Square that predate 2010 with (W) lettering that have been retained, only they're mostly confined to the (L) platforms and exits. For these, the MTA just removed the stickers covering the (W) bullets, which saved a lot of these porcelain signs in generally good condition. However, on a couple of these they peeled off a little too much, and now the <Q> has been exposed on them too.

Slight update on this. There are, actually, a bunch of signs at Union Square that predate 2010 with (W) lettering that have been retained, only they're mostly confined to the (L) platforms and exits. For these, the MTA just removed the stickers covering the (W) bullets, which saved a lot of these porcelain signs in generally good condition. However, on a couple of these they peeled off a little too much, and now the <Q> has been exposed on them too.

Must be part of the (MTA) 's secret plan to bring back the <Q> when SAS starts running...

The (W) was the 2001-04 version of the 1986-88 Broadway (B). The  <Q> from 2001 was the replacement for the express (D) service, which previously ran via the Brighton line.

The Weekday (D) Train Express Service in Brighton actually stopped in 1986 when it ended up doing skip-stop service along with the (Q) for two years during the Brighton Rehab and and it was sent along Broadway. The <Q> was the replacement of the  :Q:

The 9 is repetitive, just because you put a 9 on the train. It doesn't reduce headways for the (1). The (9) had low ridership back then and probably will continue to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I disagree on that I believe that more people will ride the 9 train for faster service and for those people to get to school or work faster.

Face it, the line did not work as intended. That's why it was discontinued. No amount of forcing will change that. And before any rocket scientist brings it up, no, express service on Upper Broadway will not work either. The track setup prevents useful implementation without either delaying all (1) train service or screwing over riders at the so-called local stations.

Face it, the line did not work as intended. That's why it was discontinued. No amount of forcing will change that. And before any rocket scientist brings it up, no, express service on Upper Broadway will not work either. The track setup prevents useful implementation without either delaying all (1) train service or screwing over riders at the so-called local stations.

True but this uptown stations without the 9 get skipped either way.

To add on, the third track was added at the last minute, and therefore no access could be provided to any of the stations on the line. If you are wondering why there is a two track segment north of 157th, that is because they already had the deep tunnel built as two tracks.

Archived