While railfanning, do you ever get weird looks from people?

duelingdragons

Last night in the Lexington-63rd Street station I was taking photos of the station and talking to my girlfriend about how the station has an unused side behind the wall et al. and there was a man there that seemed oddly intrigued. I was almost expecting him to ask a question he was looking at me quite intently.

its weird when I have to railfan with transit nerds, not people who are the cool ones, i mean the one who looks like they got issues in there eads talking about trains for ma hrs, instead of sumin else lol

It is a weird hobby. My girlfriend thinks we're all a bunch of weirdos. I told her just some of us are. B)

My girlfriend thinks nothing one way or the other:cool:B).

As far as other people some people try to tell me its illegal, i ignore them. Other people ask me what i'm doing, perhaps not used to seeing someone trying to get photos of transit stuff, while others i'm sure do it themselves as well. The majority of people say nothing and actually try to not get in my shots which i think is pretty nice.

- A

Weird looks? Well, yeah, I get them, they're especially fun when watching the videos after a long day of filming out in my favorite transit system. Nobody's ever bothered me about it except for a TSS, but I had my rules on me so I continued. Everyone I know is somewhat intrigued by my fascination, perhaps because they just can't fathom it... but whatever... if only I could be hired as something along the lines of "Official Subway Photographer & Videographer" then I wouldn't have to become a CR... oh well.

its weird when I have to railfan with transit nerds, not people who are the cool ones, i mean the one who looks like they got issues in there eads talking about trains for ma hrs, instead of sumin else lol

ha.. FOAMERS!!!...

The ones who see a chick (or a guy...hey I don't judge) and look away because they want to see what kind of train is pulling into a station...

The ones that foam to death at the front window on all the trips, elbowing little kids out of the way and filming 4 hour nostalgia train movies, with them making train sounds and imitating the C/R the whole way...

The ones that refer to any NYCT car class, past or present, as "mine"...

The ones who fight over which car's brake release sounds better...

The ones that swear the (A) is doing 65 MPH in the Rockaways...

heh...sure you've all seen 'em, hopefully none of you ARE 'em otherwise I got a bone to pick... :D

ha.. FOAMERS!!!...

The ones who see a chick (or a guy...hey I don't judge) and look away because they want to see what kind of train is pulling into a station...

The ones that foam to death at the front window on all the trips, elbowing little kids out of the way and filming 4 hour nostalgia train movies, with them making train sounds and imitating the C/R the whole way...

heh...sure you've all seen 'em, hopefully none of you ARE 'em otherwise I got a bone to pick... B)

LOL i thought u meant me mate :D

yes it gets to uncomfortable with em, I mean damn they hog up the rf windiws wtf!! GIVE US A CHANCE!! :D

I was on the IRT SMEE this summer, we were at 242nd street waiting for the TOMC to move out of the 240th yrd to the station, there was a R62A (1) with 2 Sky blue seats, and then about 3 of them people came out talking crap about the seats, im like wtf. And they WERE transit geeks, more like autistic people :eek:!!

I don't really consider myself an overall railfan, but I do have a interest in those abandoned lines and stations. I got an odd look going uptown on the (1) the other day when I turned to face a window to get a glimpse of an abandoned station as we passed. I often do that when I realize I'm on a train passing one.

I do from time to time, but I simply ignore it.

Nope, i don't get weird looks from riders or crews, however B/O's sometimes give me weird looks.
You think they're not giving you weird looks, but they are when you're not looking. :D

HA, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That one almost sent me to the floor because its so damn right!

I try to wait until there's no one around to avoid people's paranoia, thinking I'm a terrorist or something.

But if someone sees, they look at me for a little bit, and then they walk away. I guess they figure, "Don't ask, don't tell."

A lot of my friends think it's a fetish as opposed to a hobby...which is kind of funny.

ha.. FOAMERS!!!...

heh...sure you've all seen 'em, hopefully none of you ARE 'em otherwise I got a bone to pick... :D

LMFAO..... First one is a true classic, and very very sad, as that train can't give one the same pleasure a chick (or guy, hey I don't judge either) can give. Oh wait, I forget when some see that train coming, they start cumming themselves........

That second one about making train sounds, and imitating the C/R is hopelessly sad and hilarious, when they are grown people doing it. At least do it in private, so one doesn't seem so hopelessly weird.......

I never really get odd looks because I usually don't take pictures. I am the guy standing at the RFW who looks like he is just listening to an iPod and only glancing at the view. When I do take pics (on those rare occasions, when people give me a look, I give them a look back of "what are you looking at" and thats it). Personally I don't care too much, just that my girlfriend thinks I'm nuts when I can tell her how to get any where by subway.

Archived